Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
What will a custom tune do for my M6 Camaro SS?

I'm going in for my first servicing on Monday. I'm getting the Hurst shifter installed, and I am FINALLY getting my skip shift eliminator put in too!!! The dealer does after market mods that won't void my warranty and the price isn't too bad (headers, tune, exhaust). They move a lot of Corvettes, so big HP isn't foreign to them. Anyways, what would a custom tune do for my car? About the only thing I know it will do is make an auto shift more aggressively. Is it worth it for me to have it done on my essentially stock manual 6 spd? The only thing I've done to my car is install a CAI intake....no headers or exhaust. Thanks.
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
void your warranty.

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
You could tune out the skip shift and not need the skip shift eliminator
Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Simpliest answer....it will give u more power by making the after-market mods (CAI, Exhaust, etc) work better together. Normally, when you tune a car, you void the new car manufacturer's (Powertrain) warranty. Be sure to get the warranty in writing from the dealer...it sounds like they will be covering the warranty, not GM, when something in the powertrain breaks.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
ADIO SS

Drives: 2010 White SS/RS L99
As the benefits of a tune would most likely be noticable, I would enjoy what you have at the moment. If you move onto headers then a tune will be appreciated, if not needed. Along with headers I would also consider an upgrade to the air intake system then 'tune' them both. It will be a 'wow'.

Sounds like you have a decent relationship with your dealer, I would ask what they would / would not warranty if tuned. In writing would be best. Also, depending on the kind of problem down the road, if GM has to get involved, then there is the issue of the ECM being verified if flashed as there are counters when programs are updated.

my .$02...
ADIO SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
void your warranty.
dam beat me to the punch.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
A custom tune can help you unlock more power from your engine and other performance engine components, and can also help give you that power at different RPM points in different gears; however As FFRCobra said, be certain to get a guarantee of warranty in writing, as GM will not cover a warranty if a vehicle has been tuned, but some dealers will.
Some aftermarket components, like complete header packages, require tunes. I'd check with your dealer to see what sort of tune they're giving you, and if they'll be providing you with a multi-save tuner so that you can switch between a road/track tune more easily. Ultimately, I see no reason for a tune unless you're going with a complete header set-up, or something of comparable performance change.
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
You might gain a couple MPG, other than that you probably won't notice too much until you go with LT headers. You will be gaining 5-10 horses though....
Old 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
I'm going in for my first servicing on Monday. I'm getting the Hurst shifter installed, and I am FINALLY getting my skip shift eliminator put in too!!! The dealer does after market mods that won't void my warranty and the price isn't too bad (headers, tune, exhaust). They move a lot of Corvettes, so big HP isn't foreign to them. Anyways, what would a custom tune do for my car? About the only thing I know it will do is make an auto shift more aggressively. Is it worth it for me to have it done on my essentially stock manual 6 spd? The only thing I've done to my car is install a CAI intake....no headers or exhaust. Thanks.
If the dealer is going to do it - then like what was said get it in writing and go for it.

I'm looking for a dealer in the South Florida area that would allow me do this for me. I'm getting tired of the vibration when the car drops to 4cyl.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
A few things....Torque management, Skip shift, and other stuff.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
The primary purpose of a tune is to modify the spark timing and fuel injector pulses to optimize performance of the car with the mods you've made (i.e. intake, headers, cam...).

Even w/o any mods, a tune can optimize performance (at the expense of emissions controls to some extent).

BTW, GM has stated explicitly that any tampering with the ECM will void the powertrain portion of your warranty.

A dealer can be "mod-friendly" in that he won't question mods for minor warranty issues. But for major repairs, authorization is often required from GM and the dealer has little control over that.

I would be very surprised if your dealer is suggesting he will pay for repairs that GM refuses to cover... there's not much motivation for him to do that.

But let us know if he does... He'll start getting a lot of modding business.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote