Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
BadAndy

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
DIY: Cheap oil vapor catch "can"

I'm cheap when it comes to certain things. I'm sure all of the higher end catch cans work great and the definitely look good in the engine bay but for something that isn't a major mod, cost savings are important to me. Flame away

I did the same thing on my 2003 Mach 1 Mustang and total cost is around $20~.

I bought a Kobalt air/water separator for air compressors at Lowes along with appropriately sized air fittings to screw into it. I don't remember the exact specs at the moment. The separator came with a nipple type valve on the bottom which was likely for draining the captured liquid but it wasn't air tight.

I dug around the hardware section until I found a matching bolt and nut which fit surprisingly perfect in place of the drain valve. Removed the valve and put some silicone in the opening, dropped the bolt in through the cup and moved it around so it would get coated with silicone. Tightened the nut and wiped off the excess. Let air dry for an hour or so.

The hose I used it just plain fuel line acquired at O'Reilly Auto. A couple feet is what I had and cut it down to the length I needed.

The U hose was a pain to remove because the removal tabs are on the underside and in a semi-tight spot. Had to unplug a few things in that area to get them out. The fuel line slipped on and is snug all by itself without needing clamps but you can use clamps if you feel more comfortable.

It tucks away decently under the engine cover so it's not very noticeable at first. It's also easy to empty since the cup unscrews.

Picture time!
Attached Images

BadAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
NoSloSS
BUMBLWHO

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Now we just need to wait and see if it works. Interesting idea.
NoSloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
BadAndy

It worked perfectly on my Mustang, no reason it wouldn't on this car.

Only 35 miles since installation (installed at 850 miles) this morning but I'll post results when it starts accumulating.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Subscribed!!!

Mind controlled by Cerebro
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Good idea. In the second picture, it looks like the hose is kinked. Might want to check that.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
BadAndy

It is slightly pinched but not completely closed off and still flows. I'm going to check the parts store to see about getting a PCV connector/fitting that would let me shorten the hose and not have it pinched.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
It would be interesting to put a second catch can inline after your first one to see how much is getting by yours.

All cans will catch some, but do they catch enough?

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
BadAndy

That would be interesting to see. These devices tend to catch quite a bit as I saw with my Mustang and the outlet hose was relatively dry the few times I checked it.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Interesting. Not a lot of surface area to allow the vapor time to condense and separate, but if it works, great. Pull your TB after 5k miles and let us know what you find. You can also install one of those little glass inline fuel filters on the outlet and see if it's catching it all.

Last edited by SSMickey; 06-26-2013 at 11:08 PM.
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
interesting..I installed a 'generic' catch can that probably costs as much as the sum of your parts..lol
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #11
BadAndy

After 150 miles it's only collected a very small amount. I'm happy with it
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
NoSloSS
BUMBLWHO

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
I would say that's a good amount considering it's only a 150 miles.
NoSloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I am not familiar with that particular device but the question is not will it catch oil. An empty beer can with fittings will catch some oil. Seriously, its been tested. The question is effectiveness. How much is it catching versus how much is passing through. Like gahammerle suggested, installing a catch can behind that to see what it caught would be very interesting.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
After seeing this, I went and purchased the unit at Lowes, after taking it apart, I was very impressed at the construction. The input and output are two seperate chambers, the input goes into the Glass (actually plastic) chamber, and to exit, must go through what looks like a cork filter. There is no way Oil is getting tru. The Oil drops to the bottom of the Chamber, where there is a drain plug.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote