Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
too many Mustangs!

On the Ford site, I was looking at pricing to compare with the recent rumors that the Camaro will cost $22k, which coincides with Premium Mustang prices.

Anyway, here's the link. These are all ordered from the factory. In other words, these are not special editions that are made by third parties. Isn't this about the worst possible business strategy? There are too many variations. Doesn't that bring up production costs?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
We don't get floor mats autographed by Carol Shelby? What a gyp! I did see a "Blackjack" edition one day on the road which looked pretty sweet and is pretty rare I guess. They do have some builds that are low production but they charge an arm and a leg.

Another thing is they overprice these cars anyway and then the dealers will discount it and be all WOW, WHAT A GREAT DEAL!!1111eleven
Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
On the Ford site, I was looking at pricing to compare with the recent rumors that the Camaro will cost $22k, which coincides with Premium Mustang prices.

Anyway, here's the link. These are all ordered from the factory. In other words, these are not special editions that are made by third parties. Isn't this about the worst possible business strategy? There are too many variations. Doesn't that bring up production costs?
You would think so, but since their strategy is a Ford in every driveway, they go the other way. Plus, if you noticed, all these "special editions" come with real tiny/shitty upgrades like colors, trim pieces, badges, etc. They still keep production down to a lesser degree because they essentially use the same car with a different name .

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
According to my highly scientfic testing, Chix don't dig it much. Well maybe convertibles.

Yawn.. Unless it's a 65-72 it's boring.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
According to my highly scientfic testing, Chix don't dig it much. Well maybe convertibles.

Yawn.. Unless it's a 65-72 it's boring.
Chicks dig it, just not with guys in it. Women are one of the highest rankings in the Mustang demographic.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 09-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #6
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Yeah, being able to tool up and make things in mass quantities actually lowers costs because they can spread the cost of say a new engine's development over the 140k cars they plan to sell with that engine and easily make their money back.

The Mustang seems like easy money when you look at it. They look good, have cheap interiors, cheap chassis (that's shared with a lincoln I believe) not to mention the chassis uses old simple technology, and a decent motor. That's why they can sell them so cheap. And people buy them because they're a decent value and look good.

I hate to bring it up but I think Car and Driver said "As usual, the Camaro will outperform and undersell the Mustang". Which is likely true. Hopefully the price of the Camaro is right and they compete with the Mustang in price and it's true to a lesser extent.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
I remember seeing on the wall of a drycleaners a sign which read:

"We have no quarrel with those who sell for less. They know what their product is worth".

Cheaper isn't always a good thing.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:59 AM   #8
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Jon View Post
I remember seeing on the wall of a drycleaners a sign which read:

"We have no quarrel with those who sell for less. They know what their product is worth".

Cheaper isn't always a good thing.
THEY might, but does the normally uninformed public know? Nope, that's why you see so many damn Mustangs out there.

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #9
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
I'm with you. I believe the Mustang is worth what it costs. But I would rather pay Camaro money for GM engineering and performance. My experience with their cars has kept my expectations high. Camaros have always had badass performance. And with the improvements GM is making in the interior department I think they'll be the total package now.

Unfortunately for GM, a lot of people only see the numbers. The Mustang is 28k for a V8 model and they want the cheapest RWD platform to start with. A few extra grand for a Camaro may seem like a no brainer with 400hp though.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #10
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The best part is the option on the bottom right: "Not sure".

And yes, I'm sure that the Camaro will outperform and undersell. Just so long as it sells enough to earn its keep, I'm fine with that. The discerning driver buys a Camaro. The rest just drive Mustangs.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:46 AM   #11
TorrentRS
No, Not the Pontiac.

Drives: Parent's 84 Chevy Fug-lebrity.
WHO THE F CARES ABOUT PREMIUM CRAP?

Just lump them all into one : V6 Coupe and vert, GT coupe and vert, GT500 coupe and vert, GT500kr, then the Bullitt. And then 8 models is still too much. the KR is a waste, imo. It makes a fugly KITT in attack mode.

The GT sucks. It's overpriced, and the base camaro can beat it. the V6 is totally underpowered and belongs in a Focus. Not a Mustang. Bullitt is probably the only one worth getting, but is still overpriced. GT500..... I have no problem with that.....
TorrentRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
^ugh I think i can see it crying a little bit.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #13
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post

This is an ignorant post. You do know that base and premium don't make it two different models right? So,we've got V6,GT,Bullitt,CS,GT500 and GT500KR....OH MY GOD......that's too many to count,i didn't know 5 was too many. The CS doesn't even count,it's just a stripe package,and the KR is too rare,so now we've got 4. V6,GT,Bullitt and GT500.........OH MY GOD......4 different Mustangs to choose from.........OH MY GOD......WHAT THE HELL IS FORD THINKING,giving people variation.....idiots.
Wha.....wait a minute,if we're being picky,what about the Camaro.Let's see,we've got LS,LT,RS,SS,SS/RS....Wait,let's not forget the Convertible.......LS,LT,RS,SS,SS/RS.......HOLY SHIT,that's too many Camaros to choose from,my tiny little petty little brain can't handle it,damn you GM.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
TorrentRS
No, Not the Pontiac.

Drives: Parent's 84 Chevy Fug-lebrity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarHol View Post
This is an ignorant post. You do know that base and premium don't make it two different models right? So,we've got V6,GT,Bullitt,CS,GT500 and GT500KR....OH MY GOD......that's too many to count,i didn't know 5 was too many. The CS doesn't even count,it's just a stripe package,and the KR is too rare,so now we've got 4. V6,GT,Bullitt and GT500.........OH MY GOD......4 different Mustangs to choose from.........OH MY GOD......WHAT THE HELL IS FORD THINKING,giving people variation.....idiots.
Wha.....wait a minute,if we're being picky,what about the Camaro.Let's see,we've got LS,LT,RS,SS,SS/RS....Wait,let's not forget the Convertible.......LS,LT,RS,SS,SS/RS.......HOLY SHIT,that's too many Camaros to choose from,my tiny little petty little brain can't handle it,damn you GM.
You're the ignorant one. Don't say the CS doesn't count. Ford put it up there as a model. You should know that the RS Package doesn't add another model to the lineup. RS package is an option- right next to options like leather seats and remote start. Maybe you need to remember the Convertibles in Ford's lineup. And yes. Convertibles mean another model added to the lineup:

V6 convertible
V6 coupe
GT convertible
GT coupe
GT500 convertible
GT500 coupe
V6 Pony Package (WTF?)
Bullitt
The KR does count. It's still a mustang. That's 9.
Not counting the V6 premium coupe, V6 premium convertible, GT premium coupe and GT premium convertible... again. I say WTF.

Camaro: LS (probably only a coupe) and LT Coupe and Convertible.
SS Coupe and Convertible.......
Yep. 5 doesn't seem like too much to count compared to your 14 Mudstains.
TorrentRS is offline   Reply With Quote