Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
mackvenom1

Drives: 2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4M
Send a message via AIM to mackvenom1
Question Can I change XM receiver to Sirius?

Hey guys. My current car comes with Sirius radio, to which I subscribe. The sound quality is excellent, and I am also familiar with all of the channels (a minor point).

I know the 2010 Camaro comes with XM connectivity. My parents both drive Hondas, which I am familiar with. Both have XM radio. They cut out frequently (clouds, overpasses, etc.) and the sound quality isn't that good.

I know that XM and Sirius are essentially the same company now, so my question is, can the Camaro be modified to receive Sirius radio WITHOUT buying a new, aftermarket Sirius receiver that you plug into the lighter or something? Can the stock radio be re-programmed somehow?
mackvenom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Aren't Sirius and XM the same company now?

As far as I'm aware, you cannot change out the XM receiver with a Sirius one.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I can't remember who did but its basically been confirmed the XM receiver is new and integrated in this car and can't be replaced with any of the Sirius replacement modules.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
xm and sirius is the same,they murged.they advertise as xm on sirius.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
sirius bought xm
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
xm and sirius is the same,they murged.they advertise as xm on sirius.
They maybe under the same ownership, but the DJ's and channels are different and you cant listen to XM stations on Sirius receivers or Sirius on XM receivers. I know on Sirius you can get a subscription to "The Best of XM" which are their most popular stations. My guess is that you might be able to get a subscription to the "Best of Sirius".
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
mackvenom1

The businesses are the same...

But the fact that the channels are different if you have XM versus Sirius, or that all channels aren't available across both, indicates that there are TWO separate signals still for XM and Sirius. There are two satellites--one for each feed.

I was wondering if my car could receive the Sirius *signal* instead of XM *signal* because XM blows in comparison to Sirius. It's a satellite receiver, how hard could it be to modify or change it?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
They merged but the technology for XM and Sirius radios have not.

You still need to get "The Best of XM" if you have Sirius or "The Best of Sirius" if you have XM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
MacTruck

Drives: Camaro RS
Do what I did. Got a mobile adapter for my sirius radio and plugged it into the cig lighter, audio input and threw the antenna on the dash. Works great, kind of. I am getting some static through the audio plug in the car. I think its loose or something. Gotta have it looked at.
MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
I heard the signal quality was better on Sirius too...(less compression)

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackvenom1 View Post
The businesses are the same...

But the fact that the channels are different if you have XM versus Sirius, or that all channels aren't available across both, indicates that there are TWO separate signals still for XM and Sirius. There are two satellites--one for each feed.

I was wondering if my car could receive the Sirius *signal* instead of XM *signal* because XM blows in comparison to Sirius. It's a satellite receiver, how hard could it be to modify or change it?
No, antenna's are different, the box that configures the signal is different, and you cant just swap out the box. I had asked about this as my car was also "XM ready" I just bought a Sirius receiver instead. And dealt with it. You cant use the buttons on the radio to control the content either even if you buy a new box.

Like I said, check with XM and see if they have a "Best of Sirius" subscription option.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I think you can subscribe to Sirius channels through XM though.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
mackvenom1

Okay, I'm glad you guys are reading my original question, false hahaha.

1) Yes, I know that Sirius and XM are the same company . Several of you have backed me up on that.

2) Yes, I know I can get channels via the "Best Of" packages. I'm not worried about the 3 or 4 channels I won't get on XM.

I am worried about the SOUND QUALITY. Sirius is simply better than XM. I don't have to worry about interference or not getting a signal every time I pass under an overpass or cloud. I can blast the music without getting static/buzz/blaring.

I do NOT want to buy an aftermarket adapter and plug it into my cigarette lighter and just throw it on the dash . I said that specifically. I want my current audio system to receive the Sirius SIGNAL instead of the XM SIGNAL. Who or how can I program that?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
No, antenna's are different, the box that configures the signal is different, and you cant just swap out the box. I had asked about this as my car was also "XM ready" I just bought a Sirius receiver instead. And dealt with it. You cant use the buttons on the radio to control the content either even if you buy a new box.

Like I said, check with XM and see if they have a "Best of Sirius" subscription option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackvenom1 View Post
Okay, I'm glad you guys are reading my original question, false hahaha.

1) Yes, I know that Sirius and XM are the same company . Several of you have backed me up on that.

2) Yes, I know I can get channels via the "Best Of" packages. I'm not worried about the 3 or 4 channels I won't get on XM.

I am worried about the SOUND QUALITY. Sirius is simply better than XM. I don't have to worry about interference or not getting a signal every time I pass under an overpass or cloud. I can blast the music without getting static/buzz/blaring.

I do NOT want to buy an aftermarket adapter and plug it into my cigarette lighter and just throw it on the dash . I said that specifically. I want my current audio system to receive the Sirius SIGNAL instead of the XM SIGNAL. Who or how can I program that?
K how about you read my thread??

1.) IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR THE XM ANTENNA TO RECEIVE A SIRIUS SIGNAL

2.) IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR THE XM RECEIVER TO DECODE THE SIRIUS SIGNAL

Hope this clears is up.