Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #113
Lumix

Drives: 2015 1LT
Skip the camaro and just give him a loaded gun!
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #114
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Man, no way in hell I'd get a 16 year old kid a freakin' ZL1 or even an SS. LS or LT all the way. Let him earn his way to the bigger cars. He'll never learn to respect those kinds of cars at his age. At least I know that I wouldn't have...
Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #115
Uggss

Drives: Black with silver stripes 2011 2ss
I have a friend who I grew up with and when he hit 16 his dad bought him a buick grand national and 3 or 4 months later he tried to beat a train and it cost the lives of 3 kids. He was an all A student and played Hockey in the compuware league and had bright future ahead of him until that moment
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #116
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Man, no way in hell I'd get a 16 year old kid a freakin' ZL1 or even an SS. LS or LT all the way. Let him earn his way to the bigger cars. He'll never learn to respect those kinds of cars at his age. At least I know that I wouldn't have...
Not sure the 'go with the LS or LT because they have less power' argument is valid. 323 HP is no slouch either. I had an LT before my SS and I could pretty much break the tires loose anytime I wanted to. And it's still a Camaro and the peers will still want to see what it will do. I'm thinking a nice Honda Civic would be a better (wiser) choice for a 16 year old kid.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #117
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You guys are finally catching on.. LOL
There is probably a similar thread on the Mustang and Challenger forums.

Still an interesting discussion though.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #118
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by black79ta View Post
i have made my kids buy their own cars, that is what I had to do. most kids have an accident in the first year or 2 of driving. i drove a pos mustang i bought for 300, when i graduated college, civil engineer, i bought a 77 transam, got 3 tickets in 2 months, good thing i did not have it in highschool, my pos mustang had a sixer

jmo kids should drive junk they buy. it helps them appreciate things more
Winner! Somebody actually gets it. Earning something through hard work=more appreciation for said item

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 05-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #119
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Not sure the 'go with the LS or LT because they have less power' argument is valid. 323 HP is no slouch either. I had an LT before my SS and I could pretty much break the tires loose anytime I wanted to. And it's still a Camaro and the peers will still want to see what it will do. I'm thinking a nice Honda Civic would be a better (wiser) choice for a 16 year old kid.
Exactly. People on this site act like the v6 has the power of a 94 civic or something. The car still has 320+ HP for christ sakes.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #120
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Yeah, rented a hardtop LS about a month ago and had to get to 65 real quick up the on ramp on California 85. Yikes!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #121
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Buy him a higher mileage LS1 hard top Camaro.

- LS1 can easily become an LS3
- 15+ years of development backing on the platform
- Bought outright meaning more money for mods
- Hard top because if he wrecks it, it just might be savable. I know this from personal experience.

Trust me, he'll have way more fun in that thing. I wanted a 5th gen since 2006 when I was 19 and broke ass poor in college. Found my bird and like everyone here we all have our days with our cars but in the end a 3800lb soaking wet car with minimal bolt ons and no tunes cracking 400 crank/343 rear wheel is an awesome feeling.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #122
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
You're right... My first car was a 1980 Pontiac station wagon. I think it had about 12HP. I would have gotten myself killed in a Camaro at that age. Every kid is different, and some are definitely mature enough to handle a powerful sports car [V6 or V8], but a sedan would definitely be the best choice for most kids at that age...
Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #123
alanhurst
Master Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN3WMN View Post
Exactly. People on this site act like the v6 has the power of a 94 civic or something. The car still has 320+ HP for christ sakes.
This?
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #124
alanhurst
Master Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS L99
That last post was a joke so dont break out the flamethrowers just yet,lol
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #125
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
There is probably a similar thread on the Mustang and Challenger forums.

Still an interesting discussion though.
Yup and not the 1st time for here... as long as it doesn't get into the normal bash fest it can still be fun.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #126
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
The first car my parents let me drive was one of these...

It was the same color as the trash trucks in my neighborhood. No hanky-panky ever took place in the back seat of THAT car!

Closed Thread