Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
so you ridin solo ?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
I see you have the 'J' pipes.

Question, I wonder if there would be room to install the Js on a car with mufflers already back there. In other words, what is the measurement between the J pipe and your tail pipe (where they run parallel). Could you please measure it for me?

Solo told me they would fit, but I have my doubts.

Alfie
See pic below. It was kind of hard to measure, but it looks to be about 2" to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stros View Post
I 'm starting to think the same thing. I thought it seemed like it pulled a little harder. But I wasn't sure if it was just the more powerful sounding exhaust convincing me to think that
I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up 5-10 HP. Solo said it was good for about 10. It's worth it for the sound alone, though. It seems like the throttle is a bit more sensitive, which I like.
Attached Images

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Nice! Congrats!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
The x pipe gives a bit more bottom to mid range torque. I and others noticed it. The outlaws I have are obviously free flowing, said to be 8 hp, so 10 wouldnt surprise me as that is about right range for a catback on a stock car.Magnaflow's comp cat said good for 15 which is like the Solo and 4 hp over their mufflered cat.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Onyx319

Drives: Black 2012 SS LS3
Do you not need J-pipes on the Mach XL for a manual? Will J pipes be required if adding headers to this setup down the road?
Onyx319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx319 View Post
Do you not need J-pipes on the Mach XL for a manual? Will J pipes be required if adding headers to this setup down the road?
The J pipes are only necessary on the automatics. It's why we don't include the J pipes on the manual kit. The automatic kit (Mach XL with J) is the same as the manual one (Mach X), with simply the addition of J pipes. Both kits fit both cars, but you will definitely need the J pipes on the automatic. If you are planning on HF cats, headers, cams, etc. on the manual, then we suggest getting the kit with the J pipes (Mach XL with J) to prevent any drone in the future from the additional mods.
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #21
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO2 View Post
The J pipes are only necessary on the automatics. It's why we don't include the J pipes on the manual kit. The automatic kit (Mach XL with J) is the same as the manual one (Mach X), with simply the addition of J pipes. Both kits fit both cars, but you will definitely need the J pipes on the automatic. If you are planning on HF cats, headers, cams, etc. on the manual, then we suggest getting the kit with the J pipes (Mach XL with J) to prevent any drone in the future from the additional mods.
Others though have had drone with the M6 and added J pipes to the MACH X. Maybe just the way that car body frequencies were and the interaction with the sound? Mine maybe the same?

Dont want to hijack the thread with what I did,but maybe my little journey can help folks. I have the Flowmaster Outlaw on my stock M6, like a big, tuned muffler delete.Got from a friend/member here, listen and drove in his L99 with afm delete and he had no resonators just the Flowmaster catback pipes and no drone till 2400 rpm-3000 range. I said great, put them on mine and massive drone 1550-2400! NO!!!!
Added Resonated x pipe, killed the drone above 2000,a little more torque I did feel down low, smoothened the tone and lessoned the drone and all sound levels, decell popping and the loud cold startup to acceptable levels.Just dont like the muffled sound and to smooth for me, like the old school flowmaster sound but is what it is.

J pipes went on next and no drone now at all except a little 1250-1500 so no big deal, Thanks Steve at Solo and everyone here! Sounds good but I wand a bit more old school and deeper less muffled sound but I think all I ca do is delete the stock resonators, will see.

So to all with the M6 if drone is there, the J pipes will kill it, Get them from Solo or make some and weld on!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
Onyx319

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!! Ordering SW headers and Mach XL w/ J's :-}
Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
Onyx319

Are the J-pipes welded on already or is that something I would have to get done once I get the kit (Mach XL)?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #24
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx319 View Post
Are the J-pipes welded on already or is that something I would have to get done once I get the kit (Mach XL)?

No Mach xl has them welded on.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Well leaving the stock resonators in, no need to delete them. I did what others have done. Had my wife rev it up in the drive while I listened to it from behind. It sounds just great, no need to change ! Has a deep rumbley roar and plenty loud, but mainly a good tone to it. Its amazing how deceptive it is from inside the car.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #26
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Others though have had drone with the M6 and added J pipes to the MACH X. Maybe just the way that car body frequencies were and the interaction with the sound? Mine maybe the same?

Dont want to hijack the thread with what I did,but maybe my little journey can help folks. I have the Flowmaster Outlaw on my stock M6, like a big, tuned muffler delete.Got from a friend/member here, listen and drove in his L99 with afm delete and he had no resonators just the Flowmaster catback pipes and no drone till 2400 rpm-3000 range. I said great, put them on mine and massive drone 1550-2400! NO!!!!
Added Resonated x pipe, killed the drone above 2000,a little more torque I did feel down low, smoothened the tone and lessoned the drone and all sound levels, decell popping and the loud cold startup to acceptable levels.Just dont like the muffled sound and to smooth for me, like the old school flowmaster sound but is what it is.

J pipes went on next and no drone now at all except a little 1250-1500 so no big deal, Thanks Steve at Solo and everyone here! Sounds good but I wand a bit more old school and deeper less muffled sound but I think all I ca do is delete the stock resonators, will see.

So to all with the M6 if drone is there, the J pipes will kill it, Get them from Solo or make some and weld on!
Yeah, I noticed a low, deep, resonant-type sound in the very low RPMS, maybe 1250 or lower. Not sure if it is drone, or just normal. Either way, it seems fine. I haven't driven the car enough yet to really tell, but I don't think it will bother me. Man, I wanna put some miles on this thing, but as luck would have it, the day after I get the Solo installed, we got nailed with a snowstorm:(

Old 02-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Yeah, I noticed a low, deep, resonant-type sound in the very low RPMS, maybe 1250 or lower. Not sure if it is drone, or just normal. Either way, it seems fine. I haven't driven the car enough yet to really tell, but I don't think it will bother me. Man, I wanna put some miles on this thing, but as luck would have it, the day after I get the Solo installed, we got nailed with a snowstorm:(
Bummer on the snow. We havent had much of any winter out here, rain hardly at all which is not good. Yeah that 1250 range "drone" or whatever it is is not big deal to me either. Its good enough for me and Not messing with it anymore!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
E.T.

I've only had the car out once (today) since the install last week, but this system is really sounding nice. I just installed the CAI Inc. intake this evening and the car sounds even better. It's still rather quiet in the cabin, but the growl is there. I will have to do some drive-bys sometime, as I imagine the car sounds much meaner from outside and behind.

I'm still not noticing any drone I think I can hear when AFM kicks off, but it's not really much different than stock. I'm not even sure if that's what I'm hearing, but say I'm just cruising along. I'll tap the throttle a little bit and there's a short little grumbly sound (maybe just a second or two) and then it sounds normal. Is this what the AFM sounds like when it deactivates? At any rate, this is nothing I can't live with. I noticed the same sound when stock.