Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #197
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
(Detroit Free Press)

Ford streamlines the look of the 2015 F-150
Quote:
Ford has taken great pains to make sure the all-new 2015 F-150 is its most aerodynamic pickup ever in order to make it more fuel efficient.

Brad Richards, the truck’s exterior design manager, said every vehicle should be more aerodynamic than the model it replaces, but the expectations were heightened on the F-150 program.

“The aerodynamics were much more at the forefront on this launch,” Richards said of the aluminum-body truck. Ford has not discouraged industry speculation the truck could get as much as 30 m.p.g. in highway driving.

“It was a huge challenge as a designer to try to make the trucks tougher looking, but more efficient,” Richards said. “We want to sell the truck on efficiency. It is money in the customer’s pocketbook.”

The surprising finding was that some of the softer and sleeker lines he feared he would have to sculpt actually made the aerodynamics worse instead of better.

Working with sketches and then clay models, designers found that crisp corners, channels to steer wind through the wheel wells, wider tailgate panels and carefully designed side mirrors make a big difference.

During the two-year design process, design ideas were vetoed because the aerodynamics team said they would not work, Richards said. Other ideas were scrapped because they would not have resonated with buyers.

In the end, the design team did not have to settle for a truck that looked weaker than the one it replaces, largely due to aerodynamic details that create a modern look, Richards said.

But the team’s success remains to be seen. Ford officials are still going through Environmental Protection Agency testing, so the mileage figures are not yet available.

All Ford officials will say is that the 2015 model spent more time in the wind tunnel than past trucks. As a result, they are confident the new F-150 is significantly more aerodynamic than its predecessor.

The sharpened corners of the new truck actually break the wind better than round corners, Richards said.

The tailgate is wider because air coming off the cab deflects better if it has a landing pad on the back of the truck. It acts like a spoiler preventing air from swirling around in the truck bed and causing drafts that would slow the vehicle.

An air curtain in the front channels the air into the front wheel wells, where it dissipates. The feature will debut this fall on the 2015 Ford Mustang. Richards said it is a design feature found in some luxury cars, but he has not seen it used on a pickup before now.

The first side mirror design was beautiful, but aerodynamically “it was terrible.” It took about 12 designs to get a mirror with the perfect air flow-through to prevent any drag.

“We wanted one as slippery as it could possibly be,” Richards said.

There is no molding on the edge of the windshield glass; lower air dams in the bumpers; door handles slightly inset; seals to make sure wind doesn’t get caught between the cab and the bed, and active grille shutters that close when the vehicle reaches highway speeds.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #198
King T

2015 Ford F-150 Blends Bold Styling with Smooth Aero
Quote:
From the moment the 2015 Ford F-150 was unveiled earlier this year, the truck’s bold, blocky styling definitely made it one of the best-looking trucks for Ford since the F-1 pickup from the 1950s. Despite its squared-off appearance, though, Ford says that this F-150 is the most aerodynamic ever, and it just released some cool information to show it managed to pull this off.

To achieve this goal, Ford has gone over almost every detail of the F-150’s design to ensure that air flow is optimal for fuel efficiency without sacrificing styling. This primarily starts at the front of the truck where the upright nose received numerous treatments in order to make for cleaner air flow. This includes features such as the rounded headlights and fenders, air ducts in the front bumper to allow air to pass into the wheel well and the windshield that was mounted flush with the body to remove excess trim pieces that cause drag.

Beyond the front end, Ford engineered the F-150 with the cargo bed sides that are slightly narrower than the cab of the truck, angled edges at the rear of the bed giving the air a cleaner break to reduce turbulence and an integrated spoiler at the top of the tailgate. Even the badges and door mirrors were fine tuned to give the F-150 its sleek aerodynamics.

“The truck’s sharp, boxy shape gives it a tough appearance, but actually the key to the design is aerodynamic efficiency – getting the most out of the shape. We made F-150 look tough and capable, while also reducing wind resistance,” said Brad Richards, Ford F-150 exterior design manager. “We learned where we could push shape and design to reduce drag, and where to stop when we weren’t gaining anything.”

While we would never expect a truck to be shaped like a Toyota Prius, it is quite impressive to hear Ford tout the level aerodynamics on its all-new pickup truck. Ford has already taken momentous steps with the development of the new F-150 to maximize fuel economy such as the lowered curb weight and the advanced new powertrain options, and the attention to detail on the look and air flow of the truck’s styling were equally important.

Following the planned shutdown of the F-150 plants in Dearborn, MI and Kansas City, MO, production of the 2015 Ford F-150 is expected to commence in October.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #199
King T

Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #200
King T

Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #201
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
I have owned 3 Silverado's 07,10 and now a 14.I continue to buy Chevy for myself because of the deals I get.I just can't get a good enough deal with Ford to make the switch,and I like their truck very much.The recent recalls have not been a problem for me or causing any problems,but the electronics are a whole other issue and I've had some very annoying moments with them,one that sticks out the most is the playlist for my ipod which disappears from the screen while scrolling,the HD radio is useless and just the other day my tilt mirror stayed down after going from reverse to drive,so I had to stop and adjust the mirror before being able to drive away(slightly annoying).I'll give this new 150 a couple of years and see how it's doing,I know Ford has had its fair share of issues concerning electronics as well maybe they have things fixed this time.
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #202
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
The build and price website is now live for the 2015 F150 for those that are curious
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote