Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Electronically controlled coilovers

I know coilovers are easy to get out and adjust, but has pfadt or pedders looked into offering electronically controlled coilovers where you can adjust the bound and rebound from inside the car?

This is not useful for track racing, but for a daily driver it might not be a bad idea. In the morning i like a nice soft ride to work, but then on the way home I would like to tighten the suspension up and have some fun. Normally its not a problem, but Its not the best idea when wearing business clothes to get on the ground underneath your car in the work parking lot to adjust the rear coilovers.

This is one of the reasons, i have not purchased coilovers.

Again just an idea.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Yes we have looked into it. The amount of space available under hood, between the top adjusting knob and the bottom of the hood along with the articulation of the assembly makes very difficult to add electronic adjustment. There are other challenges in the rear. We would like to and one of our R & D guys still may come up with a solution, but at this time the answer is no.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
I know coilovers are easy to get out and adjust, but has pfadt or pedders looked into offering electronically controlled coilovers where you can adjust the bound and rebound from inside the car?

This is not useful for track racing, but for a daily driver it might not be a bad idea. In the morning i like a nice soft ride to work, but then on the way home I would like to tighten the suspension up and have some fun. Normally its not a problem, but Its not the best idea when wearing business clothes to get on the ground underneath your car in the work parking lot to adjust the rear coilovers.

This is one of the reasons, i have not purchased coilovers.

Again just an idea.
We've looked into this for quite a while. While it's not completely out of the realm of possibility the extra cost and complexity of a system like this isn't to be taken lightly. We've got some other ideas we are working on that are kind of along these lines... but it will be quite a while before we are able to release a cabin adjusted, electronically actuated damper system for the Camaro.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
oachalon

Thanks for the fast answers from both of you.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
With my BC coils you don't have to get under the car. Lift the hood, twist some knobs. Open the trunk, pull back carpet, twist some knobs. Done in about 2 minutes.

That was one of the reasons I went with BC.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
TheSuspensionSource

Drives: Too many to list!
Send a message via MSN to TheSuspensionSource
KW just released the DDC kits. The Camaro should be out soon.

KW DDC Dynamic Dampening Control
Allows the driver to remotely change/control suspension dampening rates

KW suspensions offers two kit configurations of KW DDC coilovers:

• KW DDC PLUG & PLAY coilover kit - utilizes existing factory adjustment controls
• KW DDC ECU coilover kit -adjusted either by KW interior button or KW App Device

KW DDC ECU coilover kits:
Three pre-set dampening setups are adjusted via an interior mounted push button:

• Comfort - relaxed driving characteristics
• Sport - spirited driving
• Sport Plus – performance driving

KW DDC App
(only for DDC ECU with optional W-LAN Module)

• damper adjustment (within milliseconds) via iPhone, iPod & iPad
• save up to five custom settings
• adjustment between 0% (= max comfort) to 100% (max sport) for front and rear axles
• transmit settings via email
• KW DDC App is available for free in the App Store (Android App – future release)
Attached Images

TheSuspensionSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
oachalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
With my BC coils you don't have to get under the car. Lift the hood, twist some knobs. Open the trunk, pull back carpet, twist some knobs. Done in about 2 minutes.

That was one of the reasons I went with BC.
I do see that, but i am the type of person that will not drill holes into a body of a car for a modification.

Thanks for the option though.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
RedRocketSS
BSHU

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuspensionSource View Post
KW just released the DDC kits. The Camaro should be out soon.

KW DDC Dynamic Dampening Control
Allows the driver to remotely change/control suspension dampening rates

KW suspensions offers two kit configurations of KW DDC coilovers:

• KW DDC PLUG & PLAY coilover kit - utilizes existing factory adjustment controls
• KW DDC ECU coilover kit -adjusted either by KW interior button or KW App Device

KW DDC ECU coilover kits:
Three pre-set dampening setups are adjusted via an interior mounted push button:

• Comfort - relaxed driving characteristics
• Sport - spirited driving
• Sport Plus – performance driving

KW DDC App
(only for DDC ECU with optional W-LAN Module)

• damper adjustment (within milliseconds) via iPhone, iPod & iPad
• save up to five custom settings
• adjustment between 0% (= max comfort) to 100% (max sport) for front and rear axles
• transmit settings via email
• KW DDC App is available for free in the App Store (Android App – future release)

now thats badass...cant wait to hear more about it.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
TheSuspensionSource

Drives: Too many to list!
Send a message via MSN to TheSuspensionSource
I was able to check out a BMW kit at Bimmer show. Looked pretty dope.
TheSuspensionSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
JusticePete

Pedders Coilovers have 30 positive click adjustments for bound and rebound. There is no such thing as a simple preset with this type of setup. For drag racing you'll want the front set to pop up and stay up (minimal rebound and full bound). In the rear we set the rebound to full hard, but the bound must be adjusted for the RWHP and the type of tire being used. Slicks will need more rebound than drag radials. Drag radials need more bound than street tires. Street tires have less bite than drag radials or slicks.

Auto crossing will have different settings than we would run on a road course.

Daily driving would be different yet again.

Each Camaro, unless it is bone stock, will have slightly different damper tuning requirements. Stock tires and wheels might feel great on the hard setting while lower profile wider tires on wide wheels deliver a brutal ride quality. We have a large number of clients running 22s that switched to Pedders Supercars to get an improved ride quality. Three automatic presets is what some OEMs have been using for years. Typically they are soft, medium and hard. You invest your mod money in coilovers to have a full range of tuning. You won't see a soft, medium and hard switch from Pedders. Our clients expect more from us.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
JusticePete

Pedders has been the fastest modern muscle car every time we have been on track with other brands. Faster than every other 5th Gen Camaro. Faster than the Mustangs and Challengers. That is unless we were running our Mustang or a Petty Challenger
Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
How about drag racing a stick LS3 with blower on OE 245/275 PZero tires on the OE wheels with 560 tire hp / 520 tire tq with the Xa coilovers?

What settings should I start with front and rear?
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
How about drag racing a stick LS3 with blower on OE 245/275 PZero tires on the OE wheels with 560 tire hp / 520 tire tq with the Xa coilovers?

What settings should I start with front and rear?
The fixed ratio Xas should be set to 8 upfront and 16 in the rear. This will allow the front to pop. In the rear we are looking for an optimal setting to allow squat without bouncing offf the bumpstops. Start with 8 and 16. Make a couple of runs. Then take the rear setting up 10 clicks. Make a few runs. If they are better, fine tune from there. If they are worse drop way down to 6 and make some runs. By swinging in a huge arc you can find out very quickly which way you want to go and then fine tune.

Does this help?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Yeah.... That works... I run around town on 14/14 and while it's rough, it's manageable.

This weekend will be my first outing with the new suspension setup.. So.. i'll be learning all over.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote