Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Very Stiff and Uncomfortable Ride After Installing AirRide

So a couple years ago I installed the new AirRide 3P system. Even after adjusting the dampening, the car is incredibly uncomfortable driving over anything that isn't perfectly flat. Makes a ton of noise to going over any minor imperfections in the road. Before I look into the air suspension, I thought maybe the issue can be the fact that the car's suspension is stock and untouched other than of course the springs being swapped for bags. Not sure if maybe I should first look into upgrading the sway bar, subframe bushings, etc. first and foremost before looking into possible swapping the bags.

Car is a 2010 V6 LT with 80k miles.
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
How much are you lowered? Did you time the bushings after lowering? How many miles on the shocks? Before replacing anything I'd jack up the car and start yanking and pulling on the tires and suspension parts to see how much play there is in the bushings and ball joints. How is your alignment?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
How much are you lowered? Did you time the bushings after lowering? How many miles on the shocks? Before replacing anything I'd jack up the car and start yanking and pulling on the tires and suspension parts to see how much play there is in the bushings and ball joints. How is your alignment?
I ride it lowered an inch. I put in the newest set of air shocks 20k miles ago. Did an alignment 10k miles ago after sliding over ice into a curb and snapping an inner tie rod. But the car does shake turning at high speeds (75mph+) so maybe I should go to another place to check it. I also haven't ever timed the bushings so I'll start there. Thanks!
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
Old 07-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
I ride it lowered an inch. I put in the newest set of air shocks 20k miles ago. Did an alignment 10k miles ago after sliding over ice into a curb and snapping an inner tie rod. But the car does shake turning at high speeds (75mph+) so maybe I should go to another place to check it. I also haven't ever timed the bushings so I'll start there. Thanks!
Lower your car using air suspension to the adjusted height for driving. Re-time or clock the busthings like you do for lowering springs. Theres a guide on camaro5 here somewhere. torque back down and profit!
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Yeah when you take it in and an alignment ask them to loosen everything and drive it around the parking lot to settle the bushings. Called timing the bushings
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #6
djrasras

Thanks for all the advice. I found the guide by BMR on how to time the bushings. Even though I'm fairly handy (enough to install the air suspension) I imagine I should have a shop do this since theoretically you can only do this by having the car's weight resting on your suspension as you're re-clocking everything and I'm not sure how to replicate this without jacking up the wheels or buying really tall ramps that allow me to get under the car and access everything.