Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Yes.........exceeding the cars tongue weight can put a strain on the axles as well the rear suspension components.

In order you overcome this issue a recommended weight distribution hitch along with a hitch rated in the class capable of holding the tongue weight would be needed.......a anti sway bar would also be best added to the formula. Hence using the combo ..........you could raise the tongue weight carrying capacity as well operate the vehicle safely.

The towing capacity itself is another matter. If your vehicles owner manual states a maximum of 1000 lbs............1000 lbs shouldn't be exceeded. Its dangerous and unlawful...........and this includes the trailer weight and its contents.

In a simple fashion...........exceeding the maximum towing capacity can test and push the vehiciles braking ability well beyond its breaking and failure limits. In as much, extraordinary heat is produced in the transmission that the systems componets can't handle. Fluids boil, parts are super heated which untempers them, clutches are scorched. No matter the make or model.............no vehicle manufactured with-out the addition of a properly duty rated and sized transmission cooler should be towing anything and for God's sake don't count on the undersized factory one. The same goes for differrental coolers.

It would be wise to remember that you can mutiply the milage your driving while towing in a vehicle thats not properly equiped by twenty, on average, the actual wear to transmission and differental parts.

Lets say for example you plan on towing the trailer the size the OP used, five hundred miles....................thats actually 10,000 miles worth of abnormal wear and tear. You may not realize it by looking at the odometer............but sooner than expected, your mechanic will be pointing it out in the repair statements.
I'm comfortable that towing a light trailer puts less stress on all the mechanical parts of the car than any high performance driving. My only worry has always been how the hitch attaches to the car.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #44
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Automatic, L99 I assume? How did the transmission temperature look during the trip?

You definitely have more guts than me.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #45
navyblueburnout
navyblueburnout

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Automatic, L99 I assume? How did the transmission temperature look during the trip?

You definitely have more guts than me.
Nope, ls3/6 speed. Tranny was fine the whole way. Even in chicago traffic it never hit above 200.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #46
navyblueburnout
navyblueburnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
Not the rating of the trailer, the rating of the Camaro. The Camaro can tow 1000lbs and a max tongue weight of 100lbs.
U-haul gave me a 200lb tongue weight and 1100 pound trailering limit.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #47
wayner

Drives: White SSRS Convertible Edelbrock SC
At least it matches the car colour. LOL
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #48
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
I'm comfortable that towing a light trailer puts less stress on all the mechanical parts of the car than any high performance driving. My only worry has always been how the hitch attaches to the car.
I'm with ya on the hitch attaching...............on the other, 90% of all automatic transmission premature failures can be accounted to exceeding load & towing capacities. For manny's 50%.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #49
drookster

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
So, it sounds like tongue weight and overall trailer weight is the biggest thing to watch out for here. I'm considering towing a parade float with my SS. The float is essentially a hay-wagon with NO tongue weight, but the overall weight of the trailer may exceed 1,000lbs. If I'm going to do it, I would just be 'putting' along at 2-3mph for a couple miles...what's everyone's opinion on this scenario?
drookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #50
navyblueburnout
navyblueburnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Should be okay if you can just roll off the clutch and it pulls.

Automatic you have to watch because the torque converter will generate some heat.

Doesn't sound like brakes will be an issue.
Pretty much summed it all up.

IMO I would do it. But then again I would do alot of stupid stuff careful people woun't. For example: plast-dipping my whole car and hauling a trailer almost across country with the camaro.

I say go for it. just watch the clutch temp. if standard.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #51
drookster

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Great! Thanks for the input! If I decide to do it, I'm gonna make the float sponsor purchase the hitch and installation! Plus, I'll take pictures!
drookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #52
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
nice!