Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #29
DallasMike

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 pontiac gto
More pictures using tropi-care products. This car has 50,000 miles and had never been waxed. The paint was swirled from car washes and lack of care. The owner is now afraid to drive it!

And for the record I am in no way affiliated with Tropi-care. I just happen to use the products because of the outstanding results.

Last edited by DallasMike; 06-23-2009 at 11:12 PM.
DallasMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #30
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Don't know if this was posted...but your in Dallas so it's critical...

wash first thing in AM or late in the evening and when the car is cool (not recently driven) AND wash in the shade. That will go miles to for fighting the spotting.

Also...I live in Florida and have brutally hard water...the only way I can get the bulk of it off before spotting is follow the two rules listed above and use a california water blade to get the 'bulk' of the water off.

Good luck.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #31
Steve P

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post

wash first thing in AM or late in the evening and when the car is cool (not recently driven) AND wash in the shade. That will go miles to for fighting the spotting.

Also...I live in Florida and have brutally hard water...the only way I can get the bulk of it off before spotting is follow the two rules listed above and use a california water blade to get the 'bulk' of the water off.

Good luck.
Right now we are in the middle of a string of 100 degree days. The last several cars I have detailed have been washed and clay barred before 900 AM to minimize the spotting before starting the polishing process. Next week I will be testing a DI system from portablewaterdi.com for its effectiveness. Stay tuned for my report.
Steve P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #32
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Since it is your first and most all other basics have been said....... make sure all rings, watches, belt buckles, ect. are not on you.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #33
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post

Good luck.
California Blade works like a champ. Just be sure to rinse the blade off before using it. I love this thing cuts drying time in half.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #34
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutch720 View Post
California Blade works like a champ. Just be sure to rinse the blade off before using it. I love this thing cuts drying time in half.
Ever try a leaf blower a lot safer and saves a lot of time as well. Those blades make me nervous. U miss one dirt particle on your paint you will have some nasty scratch's to clean up no thanks.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #35
babyjulie83
driving! Thanks GM !!!

Drives: 2SS Camaro in ABM!!!
Hi everyone. Thanks for all of your suggestions and tips...I really appreciate them. I went to see Steve from Tropi-Care this morning and he went through the washing process with me so that my next car wash experience will go better. He didn't see any fine scratches or any damage that I thought I had maybe caused, so that was a relief. I did have one fine scratch on the drivers side fender that he buffed out for me...can't even see it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care View Post
Right now we are in the middle of a string of 100 degree days. The last several cars I have detailed have been washed and clay barred before 900 AM to minimize the spotting before starting the polishing process. Next week I will be testing a DI system from portablewaterdi.com for its effectiveness. Stay tuned for my report.

We used the DI system on my car this morning and in my opinion, it was fantastic! We basically used the DI system on one half of the car and used regular water on the other half. The sun was so hot, it ended up drying up most of the car. The half that we used the DI system on was water-spot free! We didn't even need a towel or a chamois, it dried perfectly without any work on our part. The other half of the car that we didn't use the DI system on was covered in water spots. Seeing is definately believing with this DI system, i'd really like to buy one. It took all of the work out of drying a car and lessened the chances of me causing fine scratches.

The car looks so gorgeous now, Steve was so helpful. We took some pictures with Steve's camera (mine of course had a dead battery ) so we'll get those posted up soon. I think Steve is going to post up some pictures of the differences this system made probably in a new thread so be looking for it.

Thanks Camaro5 and Steve @ Tropi-Care!

Everything is better in a Camaro.......puts a smile on my face everyday.....
babyjulie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #36
Steve P

Drives: None
Thanks for the opportunity to show what you can accomplish on your own with these tips.

Here's the thread of yesterdays' demo:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29956

For that fine scratch on the driver's rear quarter, I used the Menzerna Super Finish PO 106 FA and black foam buffing pad with the PC to remove it. This is an excellent combination to remove super fine scratches and haze that can occur with routine washing and drying.
Steve P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #37
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Worst thing for your car...and it's NOT the drive-thru carwashes...

it's the fundraising car washes!!! DRIVE VERY FAST AWAY FROM THESE RUTHLESS KIDS ARMED WITH DIRTY SPONGES AND EVEN DIRTIER DRY-RAGS!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #38
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketCutlass View Post
God I hate that sham-wow guy. WTF does he have a head set on for?
AHAAHHAHA you made me lol hard
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:28 AM   #39
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
Worst thing for your car...and it's NOT the drive-thru carwashes...

it's the fundraising car washes!!! DRIVE VERY FAST AWAY FROM THESE RUTHLESS KIDS ARMED WITH DIRTY SPONGES AND EVEN DIRTIER DRY-RAGS!

There cardboard sign should read scratch's and swirls for you car 5 bucks:(
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
silverfox

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Another thing to remember before washing your car is to make sure you don't have on a pair of pants with rivets on them like jeans do as they will scratch the car as you lean to get the top.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #41
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

I laughed my a$$ off when my wife bought those things last month BEFORE I got my car... She just had to have them because she saw an add somewhere or maybe she has a thing for the ShamWow dude.

Anyway... I'm now using the crap out of them on my car. ShamWow in one hand and polishing towel in the other. Works like a champ...

I still can't stand that ShamWow joker...
Are you kidding me? I tried those recently and they didn't work worth cr*p! Talk about SCAM-wow! All they did was spread the water around the vehicle. 'Went ahead and bought another Absorber chamois--now THAT thing works the way a "sham-wow" should work. I actually forgot just how good The Absorber is, as I hadn't used one in a while.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote