Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Unhappy Goodbye Radio Shack

I don't know if they're closing all of their stores, but they are sure closing A LOT of them, after filing for bankruptcy. I'm an electronics hobbyist and, while Radio Shack hasn't been that great for components in the recent years, they've always been my go-to store when I just needed that switch, led, or relay and couldn't wait and order it online. Now it seems that, other than the VERY limited selection of the auto parts stores, I'll be forced to get all my things online. As much as I hated the pushy employees and jacked-up prices, it was still nice to be able to get things in a pinch. You will be missed, Radio Shack.

Stores Closing:
http://money.cnn.com/interactive/tec...-closings-map/
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I likes RS for just what you stated, that one part you needed to finish a project. it's a real shame they the are going under, they will be missed
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Radio Shack was great... until some pointy- headed corporate genius thought that it would be good for business to require all customers--- cash, check, card, or shiny beads--- to provide their mailing address in order to make a purchase. Customers--- including me--- found this intrusive and irritating. I want to buy a two- pack of AAA batteries, but in order to complete the transaction, I need to provide detailed information on where I sleep at night?

That was the beginning of the end.

Corporate ideas are sometimes brilliant--- other times, not so much. It's time for people to realize that making intelligent decisions is the only way to go, not doing some stupid thing based off of some bizarre idea a CEO or president came up with one night in a dream.

Stupid idea... repelled customers in droves, and sent RS into a tailspin. They'd still be selling circuits and RC cars and headphones and even two- packs of AAA batteries just as fast as they could restock shelves if it weren't for the really dumb idea of somebody with the clout to make policy.

THAT'S my theory, and I'm stickin' to it.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
I never provide any personal information when making a purchase anywhere (other than online). I just say "I don't give out that information." and make them continue on with the sale. I once tried to buy an exhaust clamp from advance auto and the system was forcing the employee to enter my name and phone number. I told him I wasn't going to give them that information. The manager ended up just entering his own info to complete the transaction.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
good for DIY'ers, for sure.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Does anyone here remember the Radio Shack "Battery Club" they had years ago? You had a card that they would punch and you would get 1 battery free every month if you came in to the store.

I also remember when ever the TV would quit working, my Dad and I would take all the glass radio tubes out of the TV set and go down to Radio Shack to put them all on the free tube tester. When we found the dead tube, they usually had the replacement in stock. This was back when people could actually fix their own TV. I am SOO old.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Radio shacks bye are still open
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:47 AM   #8
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
I remember going there with my dad to use the tube tester.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:56 AM   #9
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
none of the 3 stores in my area are closing or the one in nearby Warren PA but the 2 ones in the much bigger Erie PA are.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
Chingón

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Red face Those ol' tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
I remember going there with my dad to use the tube tester.
Yeah, me too, at radio Shack, my father sent me to test the tubes from every radio and the old black and white portable tv we had in the house. Watch out for the residual juice held in the condensers, it's hella shocking. Them was the years, eh?

Chingón
Chingón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 PM   #11
BaronConcepts

Drives: Camaro
I was surprised to see one closing down not too far from me. But its on a dead street... Another one on a busy, commercial street is still open.

I am glad I used a gift card that I had for 3 years last month LOL!
BaronConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #12
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #13
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Radio Shack was great... until some pointy- headed corporate genius thought that it would be good for business to require all customers--- cash, check, card, or shiny beads--- to provide their mailing address in order to make a purchase. Customers--- including me--- found this intrusive and irritating. I want to buy a two- pack of AAA batteries, but in order to complete the transaction, I need to provide detailed information on where I sleep at night?

That was the beginning of the end.

Corporate ideas are sometimes brilliant--- other times, not so much. It's time for people to realize that making intelligent decisions is the only way to go, not doing some stupid thing based off of some bizarre idea a CEO or president came up with one night in a dream.

Stupid idea... repelled customers in droves, and sent RS into a tailspin. They'd still be selling circuits and RC cars and headphones and even two- packs of AAA batteries just as fast as they could restock shelves if it weren't for the really dumb idea of somebody with the clout to make policy.

THAT'S my theory, and I'm stickin' to it.
My biggest gripe was it seemed whenever I went in to quickly grab some components I'd have to stand there forever while they were selling someone a cell phone or something like that. Pretty irritating so I just quit going there.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
They changed the name to "The Source" here in Canada a few years ago. The stores are exactly the same as they were when called Radio Shack. Maybe they are doing the same thing ??