Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #43
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
Just to give you an idea, I saw a Challenger at my local dodge dealer with 22s on it, it looked hideous, it made it look like they put a lift kit on it, it was beside an R/T with 20's. So I'd wait to see how it looks with 20's before thinking about anything bigger.
the concept had 22's and 21's and it looked perfect. the 20's look nice but to me they dont fill up the fender well enough.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #44
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
For those that are going to be driving in the colder weather with this car, I would just order it with 18's and put snow tires on em, and then get the optional 21's for the summer.
im not planning on letting this thing see the snow and salt. the 20's come stock on it anyway and there is no way i would pay money for another set of smaller wheels.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #45
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
im not planning on letting this thing see the snow and salt. the 20's come stock on it anyway and there is no way i would pay money for another set of smaller wheels.
Well for most people on this board this will be their only car. So their camaro seeing rain, snow, salt is a high probability especially here in the north east.

See to me IF it could get me through it I would take it out. It is just a camaro, its not like it is a ferrari. I understand wanting to keep your car as special as possible but when you are talking about a 25k car it is a little silly. That is like saying, I am not going to let my honda accord see the rain or snow.

If it is for safey reasons b/c of the rwd and the power I am totally with you. And if you are fortunate enough to have two cars by all means leave the camaro in the garage, but for a lot of us this probably won't be an option. That is why I mentioned getting smaller rims with snow tires
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #46
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Well for most people on this board this will be their only car. So their camaro seeing rain, snow, salt is a high probability especially here in the north east.

See to me IF it could get me through it I would take it out. It is just a camaro, its not like it is a ferrari. I understand wanting to keep your car as special as possible but when you are talking about a 25k car it is a little silly. That is like saying, I am not going to let my honda accord see the rain or snow.

If it is for safey reasons b/c of the rwd and the power I am totally with you. And if you are fortunate enough to have two cars by all means leave the camaro in the garage, but for a lot of us this probably won't be an option. That is why I mentioned getting smaller rims with snow tires
Well it may not be a Ferrari but to me this car is a lot more. Ice been waiting 3 years for this car and this car will be my first brand new car since my 99. Ice busted my ass to save for this car and I'm trying to keep it looking brand new for as long as I can. Winter and salt destroys vehicles and I am sure as hell not going to let that happen to mine. It will get plenty of use in the 3 other seasons so I'm not worried about not getting my money worth. For everyone who will be driving their camaro in the wingtee , good luck and enjoy it. But mine will be in the garage until spring. I plan on keeping this car for as long as I live.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #47
2010_5thgen

Oh yeah, what's a 1969 Honda accord worth now a days? Ill net you a 1969 camaro is worth a lot more. And who's to say that this new camaro, 30 years from now, isn't going to be worth a lot more too? That's why I want to keep mine nice. Pluss I detail cars and I wouldn't be able to sleep if I kept a new camaro dirty and salty in the garage. I can hear the rusting already!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #48
Mblock66

Well you must be pretty well off financially to do that. I am older then you by a few years and I do not have the funds or the garage space to store a car for 4 months of idle time.

You are a lucky guy to have had a brand new car in 1999 when you were 16. Most aren't as fortunate to have the $ or space which is again why I suggested the snow tires on the smaller rims.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #49
Mblock66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
Oh yeah, what's a 1969 Honda accord worth now a days? Ill net you a 1969 camaro is worth a lot more. And who's to say that this new camaro, 30 years from now, isn't going to be worth a lot more too? That's why I want to keep mine nice. Pluss I detail cars and I wouldn't be able to sleep if I kept a new camaro dirty and salty in the garage. I can hear the rusting already!
Listen I am not arguing keeping it nice. I detail cars on the side too. I know how to keep a car looking better then when it came off the showroom floor. I have a side business with may repeat customers during weekends in the nice months.

My point is that if this is going to be a DD for most and if you see bad weather it isn't the end of the world. But you would want a second set of rims for possible bad weather. So get the 21's for the summer and snag a set of 18's from the V6 and put dedicated winters on it for the few times you might see snow.

Everytime a car comes out people think they are going to collect it and have it forever. I thought the same about my 1997 30th anniversary camaro. They only made ~6000 of them and like 200 with my combination of options. Know what that is worth now.....$7500 haha.

I am still between a used vette and a camaro in the next year or so anyway. But if I go either it is going to be my DD and since I am 2.6 miles from work I will either travel slow or just work from home. I want to use my car all year. The chance that I can't is like maybe 3-5 days of the entire year.

I appreciate all of the excitement and I am right there with you guys. I guess I am a little more realistic with my expectations of this. I don't plan on owning the first year of the new camaro anyway. I think there will be too many bugs to work out. Plus by year two they Gen V engines might be out which I will want. But I can't wait to see these hit the streets!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #50
2010_5thgen

well i got my 99 because it was leased and cheap payments.

im sure that 97 would eventuallt be worth some money but it takes time and a certain WANT, i guess you would call it , to make it a desired car and more valuable.

i totally understand about getting the different wheels for the winter, but if this were going to be my only car and i couldnt afford another one, i would probably buy something better for the weather where i love. now if i really wanted the car bad(like the camaro) i would buy a beater to drive in the winter.
i had a 88 chevy berretta as my winter car and eventually moved up to a 02 tahoe.
still wish i had that berretta some tiems. one hell of a car.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #51
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Convertable/ TF2 Bumblebee rims

Found this larger pic of the rims on the vert. These are the same rims on the TF2 Bumblebee Camaro. Hopefully these are the after market rims offered by GM. They are P275/30R21's
Attached Images

Last edited by 13F20; 09-09-2008 at 11:16 PM.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #52
Mblock66

hmm need a further away profile shot. I think I might like the SS rims more.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #53
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Grr... I love those wheels too. I'm just worried about the DONK look. OMG; I saw a mid-eighties Caprice with like 30s or something (I might be exaggerating because I couldn't see the tire size) but the wheels and tires, by themselves, made the car look like it had a four to six-inch lift. I think it could've crushed my lifted 4Runner, LOL. Also, I don't like how tall the OEM tires are going to be on the 20s. Maybe I'll have to work on getting ZR1 wheels, front and rear These would be a great option though, OMG. Grr...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #54
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
ALSO, get a look at some tire prices... They are NOT encouraging.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #55
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
Found this larger pic of the rims on the vert. These are the same rims on the TF2 Bumblebee Camaro. Hopefully these are the after market rims offered by GM. They are P275/30R21's
those, like the silver concept, have 22" wheels on the rear.

i dont see the DONK image happening on this car considering were all pretty used to seeing the 21 and 22" wheels on the concept. plus since it can fit up t oa 24" wheel, they actually wont look bad on it because you do have alot of fender t ofill up. it only looks rediculous on most cars because the fender gap between the wheel and fender is so small.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #56
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
ALSO, get a look at some tire prices... They are NOT encouraging.
just like when 18" wheels started getting big, the tires prices were rediculous becasuse everyone was used to paying a certain price for a 16" rim. it depends on where you buy. yeah its going to be alot more compared to an 18" rim but they should not be that bad. also there are only select companies that make a 21" tire now. after there are hundreds or even thousands of cars being made with bigger wheels and tires, the cost WILL com down.