Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
Exhaust weight - stock vs ???

Has anyone compiled any information on the weight of the stock and aftermarket exhaust systems? I'm trying to figure out ways to lighten up the car without changing it from a DD, and the hood and exhaust system were the only ones I could think of that don't affect the warranty. Also maybe an Optima battery. I might be the only person in history to buy a carbon-fiber hood and then paint it the factory color, but that's another story.

Thanks!
vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
superman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
I was just about to start a thread like this.

I'm also looking for an catback exhaust system, or a full system (including headers) that won't throw a code or CEL to keep the warranty (easily changed back to stock just in case) and to keep it a DD with the lightest weight.

I think the stock exhaust, from catback is 70 pounds? That's what I read from the weight reduction thread. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know what any of the aftermarket exhausts weigh.

I'm about to buy the Bumblebee carbon fiber hood and paint it IBM too! Right there with you. Seibon says 50% weight reduction! Only three more week until I take delivery!
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
Now that I'm looking at exhaust systems, I've been kind of bummed at the amount of stainless steel systems out there. Having lived in the North before, as well as having owned/repaired 60's-90's Detroit steel, I can understand the rust-prevention properties. I've breathed more than my share of rust and sawzall debris scars as well as muscle strains pulling off crusted exhausts (no lift here - just jackstands and a prayer).

However, besides the fact that the cost and the weight is much higher than the old stuff I sort of liked having to replace my mufflers every couple of years so I could get a new sound. Now, it feels like I would be tossing away my dough if I buy a lifetime stainless exhaust and toss it after a few thousand miles. Also, I personally don't give a crap what the underside of my exhaust system looks like - It's like anodyzed rocker arms in blue OR red. If they don't make clear valve covers with wipers in there to clean the oil spray, I'm pretty sure they only look good in the box so WTF? Do people pull off their valve covers at car shows? Back to the topic, where is the lightweight aluminized exhaust of yesteryear, for $300-$400?

Also, why can't I find the weight of the systems anywhere? Questionable dyno claims abound, but weight is easily quantified and a proven effective time slip reducer and is nowhere! For instance, Summit and Jegs have detailed exhaust pages with lots of info, but not the weight. Am I just missing this info somewhere and I'm just too stupid to find it?

Please pardon my rant, but the amount of money some of these "performance parts" are running for and the (IMO) stupid advertising points make me wonder about who is out there buying these things. I'm hoping someone can set me straight, or help me start a movement to get the crap out of the merchandising gurus that have brainwashed the producers or the buying public or someone.

Deep breath - okay, rant over. Sorry about that. Also, any pointers to the "weight reduction thread?
vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Check out the Solo Performance systems if you want stainless. And they are reasonably priced and lighter in weight.

Good sound is a given.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
M6HuggerSS

Drives: Crane Truck
im with you on the importance of weight reduction...

this generation camaro is still very new and will take some time before we get all of the weight comparo's and tips...

give it some time.

and you can still find the chear headers and pipes... they are usually sold coated, which adds weight also...

honestly... the SS set-up is the best...
my full SS set-up saved me over 50lbs on the Z06..
although, i heard that you should remove the stock mufflers, as they are designed as a part of the aero package.

good luck!

1999 HUGGER SS SOLD :(
400rwhp (3375lbs)

2002 YELLOW Z06 SOLD :(
360rwhp (3040lbs)

2013 CAMARO ZL1 COMMING SOON
M6HuggerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Stock exhaust is quite heavy (especially those big mufflers). So there's a nice weight saving right there.
A full exhaust (headers, mids, and catback) will save even more weight. I'm not sure how much total, but I would guess its over 50 lbs total.

Another thing is wheels. I'm running 20x9 and 20x10 Nurburgrings. They weight 23 and 24 lbs. That's around a 30 lb savings. Also, reducing rotating mass is multiplied. So a 30 lbs reduction at the wheels is 60+ lbs of static weight.

There's also a lot of weight to be saved in the suspension.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
xxIRONWILLxx
7.5 mpg and loving it!

Drives: it like I stole it!
I just installed a Solo cat-back today and the shipping weight was 70lbs. Stock system is noticable heavier. Haven't had a chance to weigh it yet. I'll try to weigh it Monday.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Lighter then anything on the market. No one made a kit like this so it was pretty much a DIY with Texas speed's headers/X pipe as the foundation. Added some chambered mufflers and turn-downs, and voila.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159699
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The typical high quality 304 stainless cat back will save you 30-40 lbs. There are plenty of other performance upgrades that will also save weight, you just have to be intentional about it as you go. We have been doing a lot of "research" lately on how to significantly lighten these cars and improve performance without sacrificing drive-ablity.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
OPP

Drives: 2018 MBM ZL1 Auto