Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Replacing Heater Core, Get New Dash?

I'm right about 30,000 miles and the heater core went out. We had leaks on the passenger side and it smelled like maple syrup, ha! Dealer is replacing it under warranty.

Here's my question! They'll be up under the dash right? Wouldn't this be a good time to have them install a 2012 dash on my 2011?

My wife has been begging me for the new style dash, as far as I know it fits fine on the 11. But if they're not going to be up under the dash, then I'll just wait.

Update: dealer refused to install new dash, even if I bought it from them. Guess they have enough money already

Last edited by snaphappy; 10-30-2013 at 03:16 PM.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
The whole dash and windshield must come out, so now would be the time.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
snaphappy

Whoa, ok. GM parts direct wants the vin number from a 2012 convertible SS2 leith HUD and tan leather interior. Can anyone help?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
snaphappy

Hate to make a separate thread asking for a vin, but I think I will.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
snaphappy

Or should I just order it throughout the dealer, will cost a lot more throughout them right?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
It'll definitely be more from the dealer. Look on eBay and find a car with the specs you need, use that VIN#.
jvoisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
snaphappy

Wow, the dealer told me they won't install the dash. They cannot make modifications. They're required to restore it to factory conditions only. This cannot be true! Oh well, nothing I can do. You'd be surprised how many times I say to someone - hyt let me give you a bunch of money, and they're response is no. Ha! That's why I drove two states over to buy my Camaro in the first place
Old 10-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Dash and windshield removed to replace a heater core. Damn. I miss the good old days.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Wow, the dealer told me they won't install the dash. They cannot make modifications. They're required to restore it to factory conditions only. This cannot be true! Oh well, nothing I can do. You'd be surprised how many times I say to someone - hyt let me give you a bunch of money, and they're response is no. Ha! That's why I drove two states over to buy my Camaro in the first place
It could be that for reimbursement from GM for warranty work, the service dept has to put it back as is. Now if you want to do the work on your own, they may quote you after the warranty work which probably means your warranty is voided on anything dashboard related and rightfully so in regards to original equipment. However, they may warrant their work for the new dashboard Clear as mud?

I do know that many body shops hate pulling dashboards as it is a pain and then no matter how much you do to be careful, something isn't connected or it rattles which really pisses off the customer.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you could just get a leather replacement for the dash insert that is the difference in the dash.........and install yourself
Old 10-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
you could just get a leather replacement for the dash insert that is the difference in the dash.........and install yourself
No he cant. The 2010-2011 dash is different. There is no "provision" for the leather insert, therefore the insert has nothing to INSERT too, get it?

Notice your leather insert sits flush with the plastics of the dash?

Hopefully you understand now.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
It could be that for reimbursement from GM for warranty work, the service dept has to put it back as is. Now if you want to do the work on your own, they may quote you after the warranty work which probably means your warranty is voided on anything dashboard related and rightfully so in regards to original equipment. However, they may warrant their work for the new dashboard Clear as mud?

I do know that many body shops hate pulling dashboards as it is a pain and then no matter how much you do to be careful, something isn't connected or it rattles which really pisses off the customer.
Yeah you're probably right about the reimbursement.

I looked at the steps involved in removing the dash, the steering wheel, radio, passenger airbag, all need to be removed. It's a huge job. Someday when I get around to having it done though my wife will give me a big present
Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Sorry....a bit off topic. Did you regularly check the coolant level prior to the heater core failing? Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed on the car (sound system, lights, etc.)?
The reason I ask these questions is because it seems like most heater core failures are due to people running on low coolant levels and/or having bad grounds on their aftermarket electronic stuff. I'm just checking to see if there is actually a pattern to heater core issues.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #14
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Sorry....a bit off topic. Did you regularly check the coolant level prior to the heater core failing? Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed on the car (sound system, lights, etc.)?
The reason I ask these questions is because it seems like most heater core failures are due to people running on low coolant levels and/or having bad grounds on their aftermarket electronic stuff. I'm just checking to see if there is actually a pattern to heater core issues.
I ran a wire so the Halos would light with the DRL's. I can find the diagram for you if you like. It's a pretty popular thread on this forum. All lights are factory, just have the Halos on with DRL, and DRL stay on with headlights.

How would that effect the heater core?

Regarding coolant level, the manual says there's no need to check it if I remember right. However, I checked it at my oil changes, which has been about every 10,000 miles. But yeah I definitely check it less than my Suburban.