Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Mike614

Drives: 2010 Camaro v6 LT1 Inferno Orange
Oil Help

I been told to change my oil every 4000 miles... this doesn't sound right to me (I'm not a car expert).... but how and h3ll oil can last that long? I mean I thought I would have to fill it up every week like gas.... when it needs oil don't the oil light pop up on the dash and stay there during driving? Thanks
Mike614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Have you read your manual? Pretty sure it tells you when your oil needs changed.

When the Change Engine Oil
Soon Message Displays
Change engine oil and filter.

See
Engine Oil on page 1010.

An Emission Control Service.
When the CHANGE ENGINE OIL
SOON message displays, service
is required for the vehicle as
soon as possible, within the next
1 000 km/600 miles. If driving under
the best conditions, the engine oil
life system might not indicate the
need for vehicle service for more
than a year. The engine oil and filter
must be changed at least once a
year and the oil life system must
be reset. Your dealer has trained
service technicians who will perform

this work and reset the system.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Jayson9

Drives: 2SS
Several things to consider, besides the DIC telling you to do it:

- Mobil 1 is great synthetic oil, and as such you pay for it!
- The 6.2 ltr takes like 7 qts of it and thats alot of oil!
- Most running Mobil 1 are getting oil life way beyond 4k! Thats one of the benefits of paying for and using Mobil 1 over dino oil.

P.S. Here's a thought: I used to own a Jetti Deisel Turbo. Had the dirtiest looking oil changes ever! But, the oil was 5qts synthetic and lasted 10K between changes! If they can do it with a dirty a$$ diesel, I am sure gassers can go the distance as well....
Jayson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson9 View Post
Several things to consider, besides the DIC telling you to do it:

- Mobil 1 is great synthetic oil, and as such you pay for it!
- The 6.2 ltr takes like 7 qts of it and thats alot of oil!- Most running Mobil 1 are getting oil life way beyond 4k! Thats one of the benefits of paying for and using Mobil 1 over dino oil.

P.S. Here's a thought: I used to own a Jetti Deisel Turbo. Had the dirtiest looking oil changes ever! But, the oil was 5qts synthetic and lasted 10K between changes! If they can do it with a dirty a$$ diesel, I am sure gassers can go the distance as well....

if you are only putting in 7 qts you are going to be a quart low!! the oil capacity of the ls3 and l99 is 8qts
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Jayson9

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
if you are only putting in 7 qts you are going to be a quart low!! the oil capacity of the ls3 and l99 is 8qts
My mistake....... but, I like to keep it lean and mean non the less!
Jayson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike614 View Post
......I mean I thought I would have to fill it up every week like gas.... when it needs oil don't the oil light pop up on the dash and stay there during driving? Thanks
Surely you're kidding right? If not....well....I'm speechless then.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
I been told to change my oil every 4000 miles... this doesn't sound right to me (I'm not a car expert).... but how and h3ll oil can last that long? I mean I thought I would have to fill it up every week like gas.... when it needs oil don't the oil light pop up on the dash and stay there during driving? Thanks
1) You should "check" your oil every couple of weeks and add as necessary
2) You should be able to go 7,000 to 8,000 miles or more between oil changes, I change mine every 5,000-6,000.
3) If the oil light "pops" up on the dash, it means your oil is too low and could cause damage...you need to add oil immediately. This will never happen if you check your oil level every couple of weeks.
4) If you want to use the OLM in the DIC you can go up to 10,000 miles or more between oil changes, depending on your driving habits
5) Your V6 takes 6 qts. of oil, the filter is a cartidge type and it is located in the engine bay

Hope this helps.............
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Typically, dealerships recommend that you change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles. This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 600 miles. It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your dealer/retailer has trained service people who will perform this work using genuine parts and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly and keep it at the proper level. If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 3,000 miles since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed. This information was taken out of your owners manual. Please reference page 9-13 for this information.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Wink ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Typically, dealerships recommend that you change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles. This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 600 miles. It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your dealer/retailer has trained service people who will perform this work using genuine parts and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly and keep it at the proper level. If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 3,000 miles since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed. This information was taken out of your owners manual. Please reference page 9-13 for this information.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
In the same book it also says [or every year ]
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote