Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Cool DIY: Camaro Logo Removal/Installation

I have decided to outline my chrome Camaro side logo removal and my black Camaro logo installation....

*Disclaimer: Not responsible for any screw ups or injuries. Proceed at your own risk.

Tools Required:

Ruler
Sharpie
Blue Painter's Tape
Plastic Scraper and/or Dental Floss
Goof Off (or similar goo removing product)
Blow Dryer
Two lint free rags
Isopropyl Alcohol

Step 1: Apply blue painter's tape to the left side of the "C" and the underside of the entire length of the letters on the driver's side (To the right of the "O" on the passenger's side). Place it in line with all of the letters being careful to make sure it is straight. You need this alignment to aide in the installation of the new letters.

Step 2: Plug in the blow dryer (please be careful and follow the instructions for that blow dryer). Begin heating the first letter. Heat for roughly 2 to 3 minutes. Take your plastic scraper (or dental floss) and lightly pry and scrape the logo off. Some adhesive will remain, don't worry!

Step 3: Continue this process for each letter until all letters have been removed.

Step 4: Once removed, grab your can of goof off and apply it to one of your rags. Begin scrubbing the leftover adhesive off the car. Be careful not to scrub too hard as to remove the paint. The goof off will work well with a gentle touch.

Step 5: Clean off any leftover residue with a clean rag and some isopropyl alcohol. This will ensure a ready surface for adhesion of your new logo.

Step 6: Begin applying your new "C" (if on the driver's side, "O" on the passenger side) lining it up carefully with the tape. Continue with each letter by marking 5/16" increments using your sharpie and the ruler. A good eye might be required to get it to line up well! Keep in mind that the "O" next to the "R" will be spaced 5/16" from the TOP of the letters, the "R" is closer at the bottom.

Step 7: Remove the tape once all letters have been applied and clean the surrounding area with isopropyl alcohol. Rinse with water once complete.

Step 8: Move to the next side and repeat steps 1 through 7.

Step 9: Admire your work

Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
KICKER

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS WHITE
Nice Job! I took mine off & left them off. (Didn't want to put them on crooked) You gave good tips, looks good!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Thanks man! For whatever reason the picture makes them look a bit crooked towards the "O" but it's actually straight, not sure what happened in that pic.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Looks great !!! Good job man !! Is that the po po in the reflection about to give you a ticket? lol !!! (just teasing ya, but that is the cops though right?) Not to mention Black and White is always a good combination

Last edited by ActNup NY; 03-24-2013 at 08:26 PM.
ActNup NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
b1gr3dmachin3

Drives: 2012 Camaro IOM LFX
Looks good been thinking of doing this myself! Thanks for the write up
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActNup NY View Post
Looks great !!! Good job man !! Is that the po po in the reflection about to give you a ticket? lol !!! (just teasing ya, but that is the cops though right?) Not to mention Black and White is always a good combination
Yep, it's my neighbor's cop car haha.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
b1gr3dmachin3

Drives: 2012 Camaro IOM LFX
Where did you get the black camaro letters?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Despair IX

Drives: 2011 2LT SW Camaro
did you need to put anything on the letters to re-apply them?
Despair IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Nice write up!!!

I did mine a few weeks back. For the lazy people like me, I took one letter off at a time, cleaned up and re-stuck with new, black painted badges, using the existing letters as the 'guide'

I bought new off ebay, quick search and you can pick up an OEM set for $20. They have the 3M already on, so it will be so much quicker. I left them in situ on the plastic it came with, used adhesion promoter and satin black

Airmaster --- where are you in S Fla??
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Just out of curiosity .... You could take sand paper to the letterings, and then prime, and spray paint the letters if you wanted to right? (If that is a possible).

Last edited by ActNup NY; 04-03-2013 at 12:06 PM.
ActNup NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
LunarEclipse

Drives: 2013SS IOM LS3
great DIY, gonna take my side letters off me thinks
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Thanks guys!

And sanding the originals and painting is an option, but I imagine it would be a bit difficult since they are so small. I say go for it! Show us the results too! You will need new 3M adhesive for them!

Link for where I bought them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281055465670...84.m1497.l2649

They've gone up in price by ten bucks since I have bought them. If others are interested I will message him to see if he'll reduce the price for everyone else on here!

PS, the "free" keychain is a piece of sh!!