Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Del Taco

Had a remarkable experience the other day...

Del Taco is a fast food chain (one of the largest for Mexican- American fast food, second only to Taco Bell). They've got 500+ stores in many states, and (I believe) internationally on some military posts. I've been a fan since I was first came off of the teat.

So, the other day, I took my family to one of our favorite Del Taco locations, in Barstow, CA. The food was great, everybody was nice... as always.

Now, see, when a business is lousy to me, I holler, loudly and clearly. If they don't fix it, I preach it to the world. However, my philosophy is that the converse is only fair: When a place is outstandingly good, I will then holler and preach about how great they are.

This particular evening, as I was refilling a drink, I saw an employee going around wiping up spills, clearing tables, just sort of doing random things. However, his shirt was a different color than what the other employees were wearing. So I said, "Hey... you look like a manager..."

He replied, humbly, that yes, kind of... but added, "only a medioicre one at best!"

Well, I then took the opportunity to tell him how great the food was, how good the employees were, and how that keeps us coming back as huge fans of this location.

He was grateful for the kind comments, then mentioned that he is actually the OWNER of this branch. Wow! Cool.

Well, since my whole family loves the place, I went and got my wife and kids from the table, and brought them over to meet "Ed," (as the embroidery on his shirt indicated). He was very nice, and we all shot the breeze for a few minutes.

When I got home, I was perusing the Internet, and just whimsically looked up "Del Taco." That was when I learned that "Ed" was Ed Hackbarth... the FOUNDER of Del Taco... the man who started it all! He used to run with some other fellas: He was friends with (and they all started businesses sort of together) a Mr. Bell (founded Taco Bell), Mr. Baker (founded Baker's Drive- thru), Mr. Naugles (Naugles), and even Mr. Galardi (founded Der Weinerschniztel).

We were in the presence of greatness, a humble man who doesn't NEED to wipe up soda splatters... but does!

Last edited by Scalded Dog; 04-26-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Very cool....sounds like he was humble too. Love stories like this! Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
I love Del Taco. It was the one thing I missed when I moved to TX for a couple years. Then they finally opened one up but it was over 50 miles away. I made the trip once a month. Well worth it.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #4
Mechzl1

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
That's awesome. To bad my del taco experience has been terrible, got food poisoning from some chicken tacos, never had the nerve to eat del taco again. Granted it was from a del taco in the middle of no where which probably had something to do with it. However that says something about the guy if he's out there cleaning up spills when he could just have someone else do it. Gotta have respect for someone like that
Mechzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #5
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Great story, but Del Taco Sucks...

Pizza Hut
KFC ( Kentucky Fried Chicken)
Del Taco

Three places that will never see my money...

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #6
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
We just recently got a Del Taco here in Edmond, I've given it 3 tries and I just don't like it. And French fries with tacos?? When I want tacos I just go to the little Mexican taco shops or food trucks. We have a couple here, not much English but so good!

Cool story though, gotta give respect for a guy like that, that's probably why his business has been such a success.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Only reason I've even heard of Del Taco is Dirt Nasty and Mickey Avalon!

And if you understand my reference, then we're already friends.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
We just recently got a Del Taco here in Edmond, I've given it 3 tries and I just don't like it. And French fries with tacos?? When I want tacos I just go to the little Mexican taco shops or food trucks. We have a couple here, not much English but so good!

Cool story though, gotta give respect for a guy like that, that's probably why his business has been such a success.
oddly enough, if I go to a Del Taco, I always order their burger. lol They are actually pretty damn good.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
oddly enough, if I go to a Del Taco, I always order their burger. lol They are actually pretty damn good.
Man that actually looks pretty good... Great, now I'm going to have to try one lol.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Not a fan of Del Taco but maybe I'll give it another try after hearing this.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:31 AM   #11
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
Del Taco is the shit, when I was stationed on the West Coast that was always my late night spot. They have one in Toledo two hours away, time for some road trips.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
I've been to that Del Taco, my Army son lived in Barstow for a bit. Del Taco is ok, but I like Taco Mayo best, and that's in Edmond, and Oklahoma, but haven't seen any around here. Good story though, I enjoyed that.

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:32 AM   #13
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
I didn't know animal excrement was allowed to be sold as food... but then I saw Del Taco.

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #14
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post

Ok so I tried the burger and it was pretty good, definitely better than McDonalds and Carls jr, but not as good as Burger King and Whataburger.. I don't know if I'll go get another one but if I have to do Del Taco I'll definitely be getting the burger and not the tacos.

I bet the owner of Del Taco never thought he'd be getting business off a Camaro forum lol, here's what mine looked like.
Attached Images