Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Wild ride at the drag strip (drifting the 1/8th mile)

If you wanna skip the long read just watch the video here:

https://vimeo.com/362985300

Last night's trip to the drag strip was unlike any other time I've ever been. I'm made few hundred drag strip passes in my life, and at least 50-60 in this car alone, and never has anything remotely like this happened.

This was my 5th pass of the evening, and I was really starting to get my new Hoosier's and 2-step launch control dialed in. The 60' was the best I've ever cut with this car, and it was on what surely was going to be it's best pass ever. Unfortunately, at about the 500' mark I ran through a large puddle of coolant the truck in front of me put down. I didn't see it at all, and apparently neither did the track crew (although several spectators confirmed they saw the truck let out a large cloud of smoke at about that point). The car instantly made a quick right and headed for the wall at about 85mph. It's just not a place you expect to suddenly be fighting with a car violently out of shape. I stomped on the clutch immediately, steered into the slide, and amazing it just kept sliding for a bit - coolant is slippery stuff. Finally, the car found some grip and started to respond to my inputs, and then the fight with extremely soft and flexible drag radial tires with very low air pressure was on.

To add complexity, I was about 3 car lengths ahead of the car in the left lane. I was rapidly losing speed while sliding, and was very concerned about coming across the track right in front of him. I did my very best to catch the slide, almost kept it off the wall completely as the other car passed by, and then let it (let it? I think it was going regardless) run back towards the middle and loop out. Then, I limped off on the first return road, and spent a few seconds letting my heart rate start to come back down before hoping out and looking at the damage.

The damage is a a little worse than it looks. Yes the bumper needs paint, but it actually shoved the lower corner of the rear quarter in. Fortunately I know a good body guy, but of course it will all be out of pocket as insurance isn't going to do anything at the track. Amazingly I didn't hurt the wheel at all, just rubbed the tire ever so slightly.

I'm upset the track crew didn't go take a look after the truck before me clearly had issues. I understand they have a tough job to do, trying to get cars down as quickly as possible, and stay safe, but I would gladly spend a little extra time waiting to make sure the track is safe. The issue was so severe from the coolant that was put down that they closed that lane for the rest of the night and just ran singles in the left lane.

Ultimately, I'm pretty happy with my driving, and especially that I kept it off the car in the other lane. I'm not hurt, I was still able to drive the car on the trailer at the end of the night, I'm counting my blessings because that could have been so much worse. Stay safe and stay ready all my drag racing buddies - anything can happen out there.
Attached Images

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
that sucks man. glad you made it out ok. looks like a easy fix though
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
It’s a little rougher than the pictures show. Pretty deep gouges and stuff. I’m just happy he was ok because we can always fix and replace car parts and cars. I was staging right behind him in the same lane and it happened so fast to him I didn’t even realize what was going on down the end of the track. It happened just as I was rolling out of my burn out of water box. I had to watch my camera of it a few times that was recording but he was far up the track you can only see his tail lights going right left right very quick. He certainly did one hell of a good job driving that one out.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Dang bro , you were definitely on your way to a new PB if that didn’t happen.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:11 PM   #5
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
That really sucks. Nice driving recovering it though looked like you did everything right. Glad to hear your alright and certain you'll have that beautiful car back to like new in no time.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:59 AM   #6
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Glad you’re alright and there’s relatively minor damage to the car. I would be livid with the track crew. We’re all human and things happen but they’d still be catching flak. In the end, great job with the save. Luckily you were able to keep it off the other racer, this could have went much worst.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:35 AM   #7
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
That was a great save, that could’ve been so much worse. Glad you’re alright and the car isn’t too badly damaged. You’ll get that PB next time!
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:03 AM   #8
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Glad you're ok!
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Whoa that is what im scared of at the track. Could of been a lot worse. Thats an easy fix, i work in a body shop.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i just paid 500 to get a bumper fixed with similar damage,and i brought them the bumper.i i think i got ripped.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #11
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Side note though, that thing sounds freaking awesome
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #12
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Thanks guys. Still sorting my emotions out on this one. It's a freak thing, and I could probably go make another 500 passes and not having anything like that happen again. On the other hand, I can't help thinking how lucky I am to not have had much damage, and no injuries. I'm not sure I want to keep risking such a nice car. Lots to think about, most likely outcome is I'll park it for the winter, get it fixed up, and then have the itch by the spring and put it back out there.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #13
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Thanks guys. Still sorting my emotions out on this one. It's a freak thing, and I could probably go make another 500 passes and not having anything like that happen again. On the other hand, I can't help thinking how lucky I am to not have had much damage, and no injuries. I'm not sure I want to keep risking such a nice car. Lots to think about, most likely outcome is I'll park it for the winter, get it fixed up, and then have the itch by the spring and put it back out there.
I know the feeling. Heck, I am second guessing the whole racing thing right now as a result of what happened to you. You did some excellent driving to save that car from hitting the wall. I might have ran out of skill to early in the process to keep mine off the wall. Glad you and the car escaped relatively unscathed!!
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Wow.Glad you are OK and with Lt. Damage. That I guess will be a wakeup call to the Safety Crew for sure. Best wishes on getting it back to 100%.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote