Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
F0cused

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Going from a V6 to a V8?

Hello all! New member here. I've been lurking around and drooling at many pictures of vehicles I've been seeing!

Anyways, I currently daily drive a 13 'G37s and while I enjoy the refined ride and it has the most power of all vehicles I've ever driven, I always liked the idea of having a V8. The rumbling sounds amazing. I am eyeballing the design of a 13' SS compared to the 14-15s.

Have any of you switched from a V6 to a V8? I know gas mileage isn't pretty, but that's no biggie since my work commute is only five miles. I probably put less than 3k miles/year right now. I also realize I wouldn't probably ever utilize the full 400+ HP on a daily basis and don't race or anything like that. Is the handling for the 10-13 camaros okay? I like my current g37s due to the sport package handling.

I've read in many threads that visibility is straight up terrible. Will just a simple adjustment of the side mirrors to display blind spots suffice and is the rear visibility really bad?

Thank you all for any info!
F0cused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
cblades

Drives: 2010 SS
I'm selling my 2010 2SS/RS LS3 red camaro with 24,000 miles if interested. Its a great car.. As far as your questions mileage isn't too bad for a 400plus HP car; I get about 22 on the highway if I drive nice. Visibility isn't bad at all but I imagine its different for different people. Drive one and see what you think!!!
cblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
first camaro was a 2010 RS (vs), now i own a 2015 SS. wouldn't ever go back. Then again it's not my daily so MPG isn't my concern.

Handling is great for a stock american muscle car, i'd strongly suggest to test drive one to really see for yourself.

Visibility isn't that good, but you adjust your driving style including adjusting your mirrors will help. The 5th gen camaro has super wide mirrors to help this issue. From personal experience, you'll want a backup camera (my 2010 didn't and backing up was horrible).

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
As far as visibility goes I think it's blown out of proportion. I came from a Grand Cherokee SRT, so the visibility was a lot more limited, but very sufficient with my driving position and the mirror adjustment. I got over the visibility thing in less than one day. I doubt you'll have much trouble, the G37 isn't quite a fishbowl itself
Old 02-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaSSnake View Post
As far as visibility goes I think it's blown out of proportion. I came from a Grand Cherokee SRT, so the visibility was a lot more limited, but very sufficient with my driving position and the mirror adjustment. I got over the visibility thing in less than one day. I doubt you'll have much trouble, the G37 isn't quite a fishbowl itself
I agree 100% about the lack of visibility being overblown. Is it as good as a family SUV, no. But other than when I'm backing up it's not bad at all, and I use my side mirrors when I need to go in reverse. I also have a sunroof so lots of natural light shines through, eliminating any cave-like effect.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0cused View Post
Hello all! New member here. I've been lurking around and drooling at many pictures of vehicles I've been seeing!

Anyways, I currently daily drive a 13 'G37s and while I enjoy the refined ride and it has the most power of all vehicles I've ever driven, I always liked the idea of having a V8. The rumbling sounds amazing. I am eyeballing the design of a 13' SS compared to the 14-15s.

Have any of you switched from a V6 to a V8? I know gas mileage isn't pretty, but that's no biggie since my work commute is only five miles. I probably put less than 3k miles/year right now. I also realize I wouldn't probably ever utilize the full 400+ HP on a daily basis and don't race or anything like that. Is the handling for the 10-13 camaros okay? I like my current g37s due to the sport package handling.

I've read in many threads that visibility is straight up terrible. Will just a simple adjustment of the side mirrors to display blind spots suffice and is the rear visibility really bad?

Thank you all for any info!
i went from a 4cylinder honda to my SS so that mileage hit was pretty substantial! but i dont mind, i love the car. the mileage comes with the horsepower and speed lol

visibility is not bad at all if you set your mirrors up properly to show your blind spots. I've only driven coupes so i guess i'm used to limited visibility anyway.

get a 2012 or newer for better stock handling. you get the revised shocks and struts, as well as a revised rear swar bar mount making for less body roll. if you want tighter handling you can add the ZL1 sway bars front and rear.

do it! you won't regret it. get some good mufflers and have a blast
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The 13 is the sweet spot for any updates including electric power steering but the 12's had the FE4 suspension added too to improve handling some. I recommend the HUD its a great thing to have especially with the gauge pods being a little hard to see. Its saved my A$$ a couple of times from speeding too much.... As my speed was right there on the windshield.

I don't mind the visibility at all and never really did which is a bit surprising considering I had been driving pickup trucks prior to that. The rear backup camera helps a lot as was mentioned already.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #8
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I agree 100% about the lack of visibility being overblown. Is it as good as a family SUV, no. But other than when I'm backing up it's not bad at all, and I use my side mirrors when I need to go in reverse. I also have a sunroof so lots of natural light shines through, eliminating any cave-like effect.
I would not say so much as overblown but on the test drive, I was thinking that submarines have better visibility. It wasn't a deal breaker. Once you get used to it, and your mirrors are adjusted perfectly (perfect to nearest millimeter), it becomes less of an issue.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
OP, if you are thinking of getting a V8, then get the V8 and never look back. I don't track or autocross and if I am really honest with myself, a V6 is more than enough for my everyday needs. Nonetheless, I just have to have a V8.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I can’t imagine backing up one of these beasts without a rear facing camera; my experience is that you will adjust to the side and front visibility limitations. Adjusting your mirrors for blind spots is a must.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #12
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I went from an 05 350z (Dont they G35 and 350z share the same engine? Or close to it?) to my 2010 Camaro SS. Let me tell ya. World of a difference, not a single bad thing to say. It's been better to me in every way haha.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:17 PM   #13
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
I went from an 05 350z (Dont they G35 and 350z share the same engine? Or close to it?) to my 2010 Camaro SS. Let me tell ya. World of a difference, not a single bad thing to say. It's been better to me in every way haha.
I had a 350Z also haha

Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #14
ThatMaro
Patty Cake

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
I can’t imagine backing up one of these beasts without a rear facing camera; my experience is that you will adjust to the side and front visibility limitations. Adjusting your mirrors for blind spots is a must.
My 2014 doesn't have a backup camera and I find backing up a breeze!!
My other car's do have backup camera's....... although when im backing up in the garage I do seem to rely on the parking senors on my other car's more than the actual camera or the "camera's" themselves. And sometimes I may glance down at the radio in my camaro forgetting that this is my only vehicle w/o a reverse camera or parking senors.
10’ Lexus ES 350
17’ Mercedes-Benz E300 4Matic (Totaled)
20' Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 4Matic - Loaded
ThatMaro is offline   Reply With Quote