Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Where to retire?

So, I could retire in about 5 years. There's a lot on the 'net about where to retire, but none match my criteria for looking.

Where should an AUTOMOTIVE ENTHUSIASTS retire?

I like Malibu. Great temperature, near the beach, and Great canyon roads out your back door. Drawback? Very pricy.

Or, North Carolina, somewhere central to The Tail, Devils Triangle, and little Switzerland. Drawback, not all that great of weather this time of year and I'm not certain about the medical care. If you live here, PLEASE give an honest, constructive thought about retiring here, especially drawbacks.

Other than that, I'm not sure. Any ideas? I'm open to anywhere.

Thanks, All
Old 01-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Texas Hill Country... Kerrville, TX area maybe. Weather is nice... you got some great driving close by, greats eats, not very pricey... medical care is probably great (San Antonio is amazing I here)... I love riding my bikes there.

Checkout the Three Sisters... aka The Texas Roller Coasters.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/55....Ac7NZIkw.dpbs

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
If you like modifying your car, I wouldn't recommend California.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Northern Arizona always intrigued me. Tennessee if you want Eastern US. Unfortunately I’m stuck in PA for the next 25-30 years with the new wife as she’s buying out the business so no moving away for us.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I am looking at retiring in about 2.5 years myself. Probably gonna end up in Florida, north of Tampa. Nice area there and houses are relatively inexpensive. Plus there is no State income tax down there either.

Have had my fill of the cold and snow and ice up here in Pennsylvania.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
sherob

Ok, I'll add a few things about TX...

No state income tax...
TexMex...
BBQ...
Kolaches...
Strudel...
Homestead tax exemption after one year in home...
TexMex...
BBQ...
Kolaches...
Strudel...
Relatively low amount of Snowbirds...
TexMex...
BBQ...
Kolaches...
Strudel...
Weather...
TexMex...
BBQ...
Kolaches...
Strudel...

... and the people.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I'd suggest taking a week or two vacation (while you're still working) to each place you are considering, if at all possible.
I retired in 2001 to Arizona, about 45 miles NW of Phoenix. I really loved it. Low humidity, near perfect weather from October to May (or so). Summers are extremely hot, but that's. better than shoveling snow. Many twisty roads around Sedona and Jerome to name a couple. Close to Vegas and California if you want to take a break. Many, many neat places to explore.
I was forced to move back to Nebraska 13 years later and I hate it. If I could afford two houses, I'd be back down there in a heartbeat!
Just my opinion however :-)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
I'd suggest taking a week or two vacation (while you're still working) to each place you are considering, if at all possible.
I retired in 2001 to Arizona, about 45 miles NW of Phoenix. I really loved it. Low humidity, near perfect weather from October to May (or so). Summers are extremely hot, but that's. better than shoveling snow. Many twisty roads around Sedona and Jerome to name a couple. Close to Vegas and California if you want to take a break. Many, many neat places to explore.
I was forced to move back to Nebraska 13 years later and I hate it. If I could afford two houses, I'd be back down there in a heartbeat!
Just my opinion however :-)
An ex-coworker of mine just retired down there, car nut (Vette). He loves it so far.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
I live in MN, but my work sends me everywhere. My retirement goal is Asheville NC..day trip to coast, beautiful mountains nearby, the town is just big enough to have most things you need. Very nice people also.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #10
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
I vote for NC. Being a New Englander, I love the four seasons and you still have them there but none too severe. Cost of living is cheap in most areas. There are a lot of new areas being developed all over the state for retirees these days too. Google is your friend.
Add Virginia to the list also.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
zoutlawss

Drives: 2018 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
So, I could retire in about 5 years. There's a lot on the 'net about where to retire, but none match my criteria for looking.

Where should an AUTOMOTIVE ENTHUSIASTS retire?

I like Malibu. Great temperature, near the beach, and Great canyon roads out your back door. Drawback? Very pricy.

Or, North Carolina, somewhere central to The Tail, Devils Triangle, and little Switzerland. Drawback, not all that great of weather this time of year and I'm not certain about the medical care. If you live here, PLEASE give an honest, constructive thought about retiring here, especially drawbacks.

Other than that, I'm not sure. Any ideas? I'm open to anywhere.

Thanks, All
Austin Texas man car heaven around there. If you don't like the city you could go north about 20 miles to Georgetown. Weather not to bad
zoutlawss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #12
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
South Alabama
Pretty good car scene..ALWAYS something going on.
Weather/12 months of driving days/no snow (worth mentioning anyway)
Not to far from Tail of the Dragon
Close to the beaches, Panama City, Fort Walton etc.
Hunting
Fishing
Football
More football
Great Food
NASCAR
Close to Vengeance
and if you really, really, REALLY like your cousin...we’re ok with that.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #13
DDoug

I agree, I can get up to a month vacation each year, so planning some extended trips.

Thanks for this. This sounds very interesting. I haven't been to Arizona in 20 years, saw the Grand Canyon. I remember it was only about 50 degrees, but when we left Vegas it was 80's. Definitely will start planning a trip.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
I live in MN, but my work sends me everywhere. My retirement goal is Asheville NC..day trip to coast, beautiful mountains nearby, the town is just big enough to have most things you need. Very nice people also.
I've been down there 2 years in a row now, that area has the lead for me so far. I enjoyed picking a direction, plotting a drive, then driving nearly empty roads with lots of curves. Really fun.