Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Hired Gun
Wild Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro
New Owner with ?

Hello,
I just bought my first Camaro. I am 36 years old, and have driven hopped up Diesel trucks since I was 21. Before that I owned a 89 Formula 350 Firebird. So it has been a while since driving a car.

I just purchased a 2010 SS Summit White with the Inferno Orange stripes. It is the LS3 with black Leather. The dealer had already added a Corsa Exhaust. Now I am not sure yet if it is a cat back, or axel back. I did not look yet. I get to pick this car up Saturday.

After having high HP diesels, I am up to date on performance mods for Dodge and Chevy diesels, but an a virgin to Camaro stuff.

I have read several things on here, but am real unsure which mod to do first? I assume as in most things, I should get a CAI first, but which will gain the most bang for the buck, as well as look good under the hood?

Where do I go from there? Long tube headers, short tube headers, which company or companies are best?

How about handeling? Who has a great short throw on the market?

Which tuner will be a good start? EFI Live tune? Just a little tune nothing that requires extra fuel pump, or injectors.

Thanks so much for your site, and the great people on it. I can't wait to get some pictures for you all to see my first Camaro.

Jared
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
congrats and definitely go with longtubes.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
sad54189
U.S. Navy Veteran

Drives: SS/RS Cyber Grey W/ Black Stripes
Congrats man.

U.S. Navy Veteran
sad54189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
BlackVelvet

Drives: an absolute dream.
Cool! Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Welcome to the family! Pix indeed, can't wait to see your new car!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
hotrodhoodrat
hotrodhoodratz

Drives: 68' & 70' Pontiac's /2004 D. Dakota
Congrats & Welcome to

Add pics. Thx.

The all new Convertible !, Welcome to the Fleet !
hotrodhoodrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Hey man, congrats on the new ride! Here's my humble opinion on some of your questions.

- CAI's are a plenty. If you do a search on a comparison by Janetty Racing they've got alot of really good info on real live testing side by side. But basically the best performing ones seem to be Cold Air Inductions, and ADM's. They look pretty similar (and good too). Aside from these two there's the Haltech and a few others, and they're all pretty similar in performance. I just plan to make one myself, but I'm a sucker for punishment haha.

- Definitely go long tubes if you're going headers. any stainless with 1-7/8" primarys seem to be where guys are getting the best bang for the buck. Depending on what you've got for a cat-back I'd go with 3" collectors. Some popular ones are ARH and Kooks (I plan to do the Kooks this winter.) If you're planning a blower in the future you may want to go 2" primaries, but that's more if you REALLY want to push some big numbers.

- I just put the Barton Industries Short Throw in my car with their pistol grip handle and I love it. Lots of adjustment to fit what you like and very well crafted (I have machining experience and I was impressed with the work on this kit). Plus their customer service was amazing. I don't have alot planned for handling yet, but if you search Pfadt or Pedders on here they've been doing some great work on that front from what I hear.

- Tuning is a bit of a tricky subject, since everyones situation (i.e. altitude, general weather) is different I'm not a big proponent of out of the box hand helds. Yes they'll be better than stock usually, but I really believe a custom tune is worth every penny. If you have a nearby dyno shop I'd highly recommend getting a dyno tune. (you'll probably need one after you put the long tube headers on anyway to clear a CEL) the best of both worlds though is mabye a mail order from a speed shop. Janetty comes to mind again. I believe he's got a tuner that you can buy and he will work with you sending tunes via email files etc. So you send him your list of upgrades, and he'll send you something that gets close. Then you datalog and send him the data, he sends you a tweaked version etc etc. There are other companies that do this, Janetty just popped in my head first.

then of course there's, blowers.... meth/nitro.... LSX... haha

Happy modding!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Hired Gun
Wild Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Wow thanks so much. I will deffinitly get pics. up to show it off. I do like the looks of the car, I hope to do some gill work in inferno like what SS Girl has done. I think that is her screen name.

You all have such cool looking cars, and some awesome mods. I am just happy to be a member now. I almost bought the same car thirty days ago, but got cold feet. Then I could not sleep at night, and the car kept calling to me, so what the heck, I just went for it. I still have my crew cab chevy dually for the farm, but going to teach school each day I did not need the Dodge ton truck anymore.

Thanks again you all.
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
SSRSLY
Lady Racer

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
I have read several things on here, but am real unsure which mod to do first? I assume as in most things, I should get a CAI first, but which will gain the most bang for the buck, as well as look good under the hood?
We went with the ADM CAI, as it was the best looking for us. They also had good performance specs.

Quote:
Where do I go from there? Long tube headers, short tube headers, which company or companies are best?
I've heard nothing but good things about Kooks. We've decided to stick with stock exhaust, since with the Magnacharger we're already making 510 and it sounds completely stock most of the time...and with exhaust, we'd lose the blower whine!

Quote:
Short throw shifter? Love our MGW. As for handling, we've done pretty much everything BMR has to offer, and we couldn't be happier. It turns better than our old track-prepped 4th gen, but still rides fairly nice for a slammed sports car

Quote:
Which tuner will be a good start? EFI Live tune? Just a little tune nothing that requires extra fuel pump, or injectors.
Our Maggie came with an SCT flasher, so that's what we've been using. I come from Fords, so I already had a good rapport with SCT.

2014 Ford F150 Tremor
2012 Shelby GT500
SSRSLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Jessica-Rocks-
One hot mess

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Grat's on the ride!!
Jessica-Rocks- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
awesome! get that credit card ready for parts! lol
Old 11-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
ered, CONGRATS, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in them...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's and wive's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Welcome, congrats, and happy modding

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Hello,
I just bought my first Camaro. I am 36 years old, and have driven hopped up Diesel trucks since I was 21. Before that I owned a 89 Formula 350 Firebird. So it has been a while since driving a car.

I just purchased a 2010 SS Summit White with the Inferno Orange stripes. It is the LS3 with black Leather. The dealer had already added a Corsa Exhaust. Now I am not sure yet if it is a cat back, or axel back. I did not look yet. I get to pick this car up Saturday.

After having high HP diesels, I am up to date on performance mods for Dodge and Chevy diesels, but an a virgin to Camaro stuff.

Thanks so much for your site, and the great people on it. I can't wait to get some pictures for you all to see my first Camaro.

Jared
Great to have another Kentucky boy around here!

The questions you asked are some of the most polarizing questions asked around here, everyone loves what they have. There are some obvious front runners out there though. Check out TheHorsepowerJunkies.com. There are several good articles on there; What Is The Best Air Intake For The Camaro SS? and Choosing The Right Headers should be helpful. As far as tuning goes, for close to the same kind of cash you are going to spend on a hand held tuner you can get a custom dyno tune from any number of very talented tuners around here.

If you have any questions or need any help feel free to hit me up. We carry most of the products people want for these cars and since you are so close I can get them to you next day in most cases.

Chase

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 11-10-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote