Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
anyone ever ..

anyone ever had or heard a JL tw5 13 (JLs thin sub)? i was at a stereo shop asking ?S about what would sound good in my car without going overboard and having truck rattle etc and they made it sound like this was a really good sub?

Last edited by lee; 10-07-2009 at 07:43 PM.
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
all the reviews I read said that it was an awesome sub. Probably the best you can buy in regards to shallow mount subs. Problem being the high cost of the sub. That and the fact that most of the current side mount (smaller) boxes wont fit the sub due to the 13inch diameter. So you'll have to use a bigger box which would then beg the question... Why not just buy a sub that's cheaper, that's not shallow mount?

For a truck box, it's a great sub, but for our camaro's I'd recommend the Alpine Type R 10 for a small side mount box, JL W12 for a large side mount or standard style sub box.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
I have heard guys say that sub compares very well to a 12W6. So in applications where you don't exactly need a shallow sub, why spend an extra couple hundred bux? I have checked and we can indeed fit it in our large side box for those who are considering it as an option. I don't know of anyone else that can say this. But our box does offer the flexibility for it. We can fit a lot of subs that no one is willing to do and it does not cost an arm and a leg...and a kidney and a lung and a liver or any of your unborn children.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
lee

thanks everyone , yeah i went in the shop asking ?s about what sub would be the best for me and i was telling them i wanted real clean crisp bass (idk if thats the right wording or not) but i listen to rock and rap and pretty much everything and imo some setups arnt as good for rock but awesome for rap and vice versa , but either way this guy was telling me the mtx 7500 or that jl tw5 but he was talking the world of the tw5, MCOR Automotive LLC does your truck sound good rock ? and steve im for sure goin with a box from you guys just gotta figure out what i wanna put in it and what im gonna push it with , no one can come close to you guys prices on boxes
Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
lee

Steve the 12w6 is about the same? The jl site shows them to be close to the same price which would u recomend ?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
thanks everyone , yeah i went in the shop asking ?s about what sub would be the best for me and i was telling them i wanted real clean crisp bass (idk if thats the right wording or not) but i listen to rock and rap and pretty much everything and imo some setups arnt as good for rock but awesome for rap and vice versa , but either way this guy was telling me the mtx 7500 or that jl tw5 but he was talking the world of the tw5, MCOR Automotive LLC does your truck sound good rock ? and steve im for sure goin with a box from you guys just gotta figure out what i wanna put in it and what im gonna push it with , no one can come close to you guys prices on boxes

Well, Ctrain ordered his box today and he told me he is gonna use a 12W6. Should work great. I know our CVR12s sound really good and the RE SE12 that I run sounds equally good. I know you can get a really nice sub for under $200. Not sure if you're going to get any more by going with the tw. Even though they have come down greatly in proce. Just remember that the TW is a 3ohm sub (wierd) and finding the right amp for it is slightly more difficult that an D2 or D4 sub.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote