Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
GM vs. Covercraft/Coverking

Any advice on which brand outdoor cover to get??

Wasn't sure if the GM cover was my best bet if storing my car for the winter. Anyone have the GM cover, how does it hold up against snow??
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
I have had covercraft for 4 years in AZ. All have been great. Call direct, and you might get a good deal on left over fabric. BUT....out of curiosity...how can anyone live in a part of the world where you have to hibernate, and can't drive your car for part of the year? Just can't figure that out!
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
I have had covercraft for 4 years in AZ. All have been great. Call direct, and you might get a good deal on left over fabric. BUT....out of curiosity...how can anyone live in a part of the world where you have to hibernate, and can't drive your car for part of the year? Just can't figure that out!
I think the same thing about you guys in Arizona - we have to hibernate but don't your shoes melt to the road if you stand in one place too long??
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm pretty sure the GM one is made by Covercraft... although I forget what level it is... NOAH, Weathershield
If you don't mind not having stripes, go with the Covercraft and save yourself the "official GM license" fee
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
I think the same thing about you guys in Arizona - we have to hibernate but don't your shoes melt to the road if you stand in one place too long??
Thats why you gotta move to San Diego.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayap79 View Post
Any advice on which brand outdoor cover to get??

Wasn't sure if the GM cover was my best bet if storing my car for the winter. Anyone have the GM cover, how does it hold up against snow??
What are you going to be doing with it and where are you storing the car?

Personally I would never use a car cover for outdoor use. When dirt and grit and snow get blown up under the cover (and it will regardless of what the manufacturer claims) it will scratch the living hell out of your paint. Also the wind blowing the cover and beating it against your car will cause damage as well.

Now with that said, I don't know about the others but I do know the GM cover is pretty much just a dust cover for indoor use. It's not designed to keep out the elements and will allow dirt and debris to blow up under the cover.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Tayap79

Quote:

Trust me, I would not be here if not made to relocate with my company. Actively searching for a way to get back to North Carolina.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Tayap79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
What are you going to be doing with it and where are you storing the car?

Personally I would never use a car cover for outdoor use. When dirt and grit and snow get blown up under the cover (and it will regardless of what the manufacturer claims) it will scratch the living hell out of your paint. Also the wind blowing the cover and beating it against your car will cause damage as well.

Now with that said, I don't know about the others but I do know the GM cover is pretty much just a dust cover for indoor use. It's not designed to keep out the elements and will allow dirt and debris to blow up under the cover.

Not really sure I can afford a storage unit for my car for the 4 months or whatever the minimum is. As of right now I'm thinking I will be parking my car in my apartment complex for the winter. It really does not get very windy where I am located as well. Would a satin car cover under the outdoor cover be a possibility?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
But we don't have to shovel the heat, and our cars don't rust!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Thats why you gotta move to San Diego.
Right, but remember, Governor Moonbeam runs the state!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayap79 View Post
Not really sure I can afford a storage unit for my car for the 4 months or whatever the minimum is. As of right now I'm thinking I will be parking my car in my apartment complex for the winter. It really does not get very windy where I am located as well. Would a satin car cover under the outdoor cover be a possibility?
Personally, if I couldn't afford to have it stored and it must stay outside, I would much rather leave it exposed with a few coats of wax then to put a cover on it.

It doesn't have to get windy to blow dirt and debris under the cover. I've seen cars stored away for months inside with no air circulating at all and still wind up with dust under the cover.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Personally, if I couldn't afford to have it stored and it must stay outside, I would much rather leave it exposed with a few coats of wax then to put a cover on it.

It doesn't have to get windy to blow dirt and debris under the cover. I've seen cars stored away for months inside with no air circulating at all and still wind up with dust under the cover.

This is correct... storing a car outside with a cover on it is not a good idea. Dust will still get under the cover and the cover itself will serve to hold the dust against the paint and scratch it. Just put a good coat of wax on it and leave it uncovered if it's not being stored indoors.