Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Coolant Information Help.

Does anyone know the difference between these 2 Zerex Dexcool coolants?

I want to go with the 4 pack for 40$ vs the single pack that is 20$ each.. they both look similar and say exactly the same, which is the one for our cars?? I couldn't find any information on the comparison.

https://www.amazon.com/Zerex-DEX-COO...zerex++dexcool

https://www.amazon.com/Zerex-857779-...zerex++dexcool

Since swapping to a bigger radiator that 4 pack seems like a steal.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:58 AM   #2
hou30guy

Drives: 2011 convertible 2ss/rs
I do regular coolant in minds and change it year or every other yr. Dexcool have all kind of crap to prevent stuff but after 5 yrs it still rust and build up so, i go chespest coolant and change yr to every other yr. They all do the same thing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
hou30guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Seems to be the same. The one sold as (1) the front packaging matches Zerex Dex Cool on Valvoline's website. The one sold as a 4 pack has a little danger symbol at the bottom which is different from what Valvoline shows.

Maybe it's an older packaging? Possibly call Valvoline's techline and ask them if they changed their packaging and ever had that danger symbol at the bottom.

My only caution with Amazon is they are full of counterfeit products. I bought some ARP bolts from Amazon last year. When they came in the packaging looked different from ARP stuff I have. I went to a trade show where an ARP rep was and I showed him the part in the package, and the listing...immediately said - Oh yeah, Amazon counterfeits. I reported it, they still list the same crap today. And the name of the seller was - ARP. Ran into the exact same thing with an AC Delco part. Chased it down to AC Delco who confirmed - counterfeit.

That's my only reservation with Amazon stuff is, compare the packaging to the manufacturer. Products are easy to counterfeit, the packaging is not. The packaging is often the only give away to a fake.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Seems to be the same. The one sold as (1) the front packaging matches Zerex Dex Cool on Valvoline's website. The one sold as a 4 pack has a little danger symbol at the bottom which is different from what Valvoline shows.

Maybe it's an older packaging? Possibly call Valvoline's techline and ask them if they changed their packaging and ever had that danger symbol at the bottom.

My only caution with Amazon is they are full of counterfeit products. I bought some ARP bolts from Amazon last year. When they came in the packaging looked different from ARP stuff I have. I went to a trade show where an ARP rep was and I showed him the part in the package, and the listing...immediately said - Oh yeah, Amazon counterfeits. I reported it, they still list the same crap today. And the name of the seller was - ARP. Ran into the exact same thing with an AC Delco part. Chased it down to AC Delco who confirmed - counterfeit.

That's my only reservation with Amazon stuff is, compare the packaging to the manufacturer. Products are easy to counterfeit, the packaging is not. The packaging is often the only give away to a fake.
The (4) package does have the danger symbol and that is why i decide to post here, if it's fake or an actual danger to environment and not meant to be used for our cars, and maybe boats or something idk, so i wanted to see if anyone has had experience with zerex dexcool, like I said price looked too good to be true for 40$ for 4 of them.

Since our cars run Dexcool, anyone have other good recommendations? my buddy works at orileys and he said prestone or peak dexcool, but Ive never used those in my life.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I flushed mine with Prestone Dexcool this last summer. Seems like okay stuff. No issues here.
I flush every 2 years, so there's that to consider. The factory coolant smelled like absolute hell when I drained that thing the first time. Prestone stuff doesn't smell nearly as bad.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I flushed mine with Prestone Dexcool this last summer. Seems like okay stuff. No issues here.
I flush every 2 years, so there's that to consider. The factory coolant smelled like absolute hell when I drained that thing the first time. Prestone stuff doesn't smell nearly as bad.

Thanks for the input, any sludge or issues with oem crap being drained? How is the prestone looking today? Normal, I plan on adding 3 cans of Water Wetter with that as is.