Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #99
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
From what I remembered, the instructions were for the V8 shifters only. It's been a LONG time. I honestly don't have any idea what you were talking about with springs and hate to say that if you would have asked, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. Sorry... Would liked to have helped.

You have the stock GM hurst shifter. Nothing wrong with it. If I were you, I'd stick with it. This H shifter (with the white ball) has a tiny bit shorter throw. It's a great shifter and with the brass bushings...really can't be beat (IMHO).
On the v6, inside of the upper dust boot (inside the car) if you look through the top of the boot, you can see what looks like a series of metal bars, think a little thicker than a paper clip. These "springs" are what keep the shifter in the neutral position I am gathering. According to the instructions thy hurst gives you, it says it will be necessary to work the springs in order to remove the stock shifter. This is done either by stretching the springs apart or by completely removing them. That's it. That's all hurst says about it. No pictures, no updated video online, nothing. They don't even make mention of it in the video. I believe the narrator of the video says that this is video is for v8 and v6 applications. I could be wrong. I called hurst, left voicemails for their supposed top tech guy extension 481. He never called me back, they know what the problem is, I jus think its ridiculous that you can sell a product and not give a detailed set of instructions for that model. You can't get to the springs, unless you do one of two things. Either cut open the dust boot gaming in you access to try and remove them or if you go underneath the car and look at the housing where the shifter goes into the car, you will see little rubber tits that are around the perimeter of the metal bracket. You would have to cut these in order to take the dust boot off. It does not look possible to push them back through the bracket and to remove that dust boot. I tried and couldn't do it.

For anyone who gets stuck on the removing this from their 6, I got mine out by pulling up through the car. I pulled up as much as I could then pulled it over towards 5&6 and twisted. And pulled up. It is come out that way. I tried to hammer it out and nothing worked. I actually think I bent my stocked shifter removing it. Not sure of if it comes bent like that from the factory.

The install was easy, it was just that one part. If hurst would pull their head out of their ass and do the right thing by including the documentation or producing another video for us v6 owners I would be able to give tem better feedback. Right now, I cannot recommend them to anyone because of their lack of customer service.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #100
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6

Please refer to a thread I created on removing the centering springs on v6's. No BS, no removing the boot, just plain and simple!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #101
45thCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post

Please refer to a thread I created on removing the centering springs on v6's. No BS, no removing the boot, just plain and simple!
Somebody should include a link in the begging of this thread to that topic. It will save them much time searching.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #102
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
This tutorial is awesome. When i get the short throw shifter I will do it myself. And these instruction will help out.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #103
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Maybe I missed it here but didn't see anyone mentioning lubing the nylon bushings with the supplied grease, the Hurst youtube video also doesn't mention it. I would think if the bushings were lubricated with the grease in the first place there wouldn't so many problems, that's what I plan to do when I do my install.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #104
45thCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
Maybe I missed it here but didn't see anyone mentioning lubing the nylon bushings with the supplied grease, the Hurst youtube video also doesn't mention it. I would think if the bushings were lubricated with the grease in the first place there wouldn't so many problems, that's what I plan to do when I do my install.
Maybe because it's nylon? I will one day pick up a metal bushing for it. Heard that it cures some headaches.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #105
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
Maybe because it's nylon? I will one day pick up a metal bushing for it. Heard that it cures some headaches.
If it's petroleum based grease it could cause a problem, in any case I have aerospace grade pure silicone in a tube I can use.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #106
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Just use the brass bushings. Anything nylon will wear over time. How do I know? I went through two sets. The metal ones finally fixed the problem....the shifter getting loose over time. You won't realize it until one day someone mentions it or you get behind the wheel of someone else's who's shifter is new. The difference is unreal.

Brass bushings or GO HOME!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #107
DARK AGE 53

So who sells the brass bushings?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #108
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I know Apex had them on his site for a while. Then there were two other guys on here selling them. I think one of them was xapilot?? Check the FS section and Apex's site. See if you can find someone with them. I know there's a couple threads on them.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #109
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
I know Apex had them on his site for a while. Then there were two other guys on here selling them. I think one of them was xapilot?? Check the FS section and Apex's site. See if you can find someone with them. I know there's a couple threads on them.
I had already done a search and came up empty, looks like the people who had some made no longer do. Phastek Performance has a youtube (
) showing them but it looks like they no longer carry them, they have the upgraded Hurst kit, which I'm not impressed with.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #110
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Well, we need to get someone moving on these. They are in demand....and it seems no one has them. Maybe I can get someone to make them and we can sell them in the C5 store.... Hrm....
Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #111
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
Well, we need to get someone moving on these. They are in demand....and it seems no one has them. Maybe I can get someone to make them and we can sell them in the C5 store.... Hrm....
I've seen a couple of different versions of the brass bushings, seems like the one shown in the Phastek Performance video would be the easies to make.

If you start to sell them let me know, thanks.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #112
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Just an FYI for those with 2013 SS (and possibly other models)
My stock shift knob was totally different than the Hurst instructions show. It is retained with a torx screw into the shifter and the only way to "pry it out" (as the directions suggest) will break the damn thing (which I did)

On examination (after it finally broke apart), I saw that the chrome collar on the boot should be twisted to unlock and slid down to expose the torx screw that once removed the knob comes right off.. Of course the supplied OEM shift lever that's supposed to be used with the OEM knob and boot doesn't work.. What a PITA.. I used long hemostats to pull the driver side of the boot back on!
Love this shifter, now it feels right!!
punkindave is offline   Reply With Quote