Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #71
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Congrats Would like to see some data as well. Still leaning towards the Flowmaster. Note: hearsay here but reliable hearsay LOL Received an E-mail from someone who said at the shop where there get their work done someone actually lost a few HP on the Dyno with the AT system.
Thanks ! I can't wait to hear it. I totally agree with you on the hear say. Message boards can be interesting like that. Iwould imagine their would be some gain even if it's not a lot.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #72
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #73
jmhenry5150
2011 Camaro Newbie

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS (With RS package)
Question guys...

The Flowmaster AT system is roughly $800 installed vs the Flowmaster Super 44's are $90 each plus install...

I know the difference is called a cat-back vs an axel-back (hardware wise)

But my real questions is what do you really gain with the AT system? Is the sound ALOT different? Performance wise is there a huge difference?

If you can understand, I am looking at the difference in $$$ and it's HUGE...is it worth it?

Keep in mind, I am more interested in sound than performance at this point - so the difference in money is a really big deal to me...

I just want to get some edumacation on this so I know what I am doing...

Thanks!

- J. Michael Henry
jmhenry5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #74
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhenry5150 View Post
Question guys...

The Flowmaster AT system is roughly $800 installed vs the Flowmaster Super 44's are $90 each plus install...

I know the difference is called a cat-back vs an axel-back (hardware wise)

But my real questions is what do you really gain with the AT system? Is the sound ALOT different? Performance wise is there a huge difference?

If you can understand, I am looking at the difference in $$$ and it's HUGE...is it worth it?

Keep in mind, I am more interested in sound than performance at this point - so the difference in money is a really big deal to me...

I just want to get some edumacation on this so I know what I am doing...

Thanks!
There really isn't a huge performance gain when going with a catback system other than I noticed that throttle response seemed a bit better.

However the catback does offer some advantages depending on what you're planning on doing.
- 3 inch piping will give you a deeper tone overall
- 3 inch piping will be more than enough to support most mods people do for flow
- most header/high flow cat applications will bolt right up
- cat-backs including this one come with their variation of an x-pipe which is good for a few hp
- no cutting during install

The drawback is the price. It's up to you a cat-back is generally thought of as a sound only mod.

To be quite honest I've never heard the axle back and cat back beside each other in person. If you just want the sound there's nothing wrong with getting the axle back.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #75
jmhenry5150
2011 Camaro Newbie

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS (With RS package)
Thanks Ronn!

- J. Michael Henry
jmhenry5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american thunder, cat-back review, flowmaster exhaust