Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Stock Brakes

For those that have tracked your 1LE, how have the stock brakes been for you? I have Hawk HP+ pads, stainless braided lines, and ATE superblue fluid and my first track day I had no barking issues. Although the track was not break heavy configuration. I am thinking about upgrading my 1LE when it arrives with CTS-V front breaks but I am curious to see how you guys are doing with the stock setup.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Mine were fine all day at Laguna, which is hard on brakes.I would prefer a harder feeling brake pedal,i wonder if the steel brake lines you put on will offer that feeling,but the brakes were fine all day,no fade what so ever.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Regarding the stock 1LE brakes do the 1LE's come with different pads than the regular SS's? I know the calipers are the same (besides the paint color) but I wasn't sure about the pads.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Same from everythin I have seen but not 100 percent on that.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Mine were fine all day at Laguna, which is hard on brakes.I would prefer a harder feeling brake pedal,i wonder if the steel brake lines you put on will offer that feeling,but the brakes were fine all day,no fade what so ever.
Yes, I've read that switching out to SS brake lines will give you an improved feel to the brakes.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I was reading the 1LE dealer info PDF that was posted here a while back and in it there is a passage about the 1LE brake calipers that makes me wonder if there was a slight improvement made to the 1LE calipers or not.

Take a look at the image I snipped from the pdf here.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
HP+ will crap out on you if you use them hard, too low of a heat range.

And there are no bearings in calipers, they're probably talking about the upgraded wheel bearings which will help with lateral loads and nothing to do with braking. Yet another reason why dealers aren't who you should get performance info from.

But then again, it's all ball bearings these days.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Phdpsy

Drives: SW 2013 1LE
First track day at Texas World Speedway....8 20 minute sessions with only minor fade at the end of one session. Totally stock brakes and fluid. Changing out to Motul RBF 600 for Curcuit of the Americas first weekend in June. Thinking about pad options that will not be too bad for this 400 mile trip to and from as well as two full track days.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdpsy View Post
First track day at Texas World Speedway....8 20 minute sessions with only minor fade at the end of one session. Totally stock brakes and fluid. Changing out to Motul RBF 600 for Curcuit of the Americas first weekend in June. Thinking about pad options that will not be too bad for this 400 mile trip to and from as well as two full track days.
Dude,I need info on your track day!! i want to run there and need to know which organizations are running there,thanks.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Abdi
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LE
I have a TPW of 4/22 for my 1LE so I have no experience with this particular car. Needless to say I can't wait to get in the seat.

With that said... I have been driving on tracks across North America like Mosport, Limerock, and Watkins Glen since 2005 and I would suggest the following to improve the feel of the brake pedal.

1. Steel braided brake hoses.
2. Brake cooling ducts.
3. Brake pads with a higher operating temperature range.
After the above is completed.
To reduce your brake distance
1. R compound tire.
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Abdi
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I was reading the 1LE dealer info PDF that was posted here a while back and in it there is a passage about the 1LE brake calipers that makes me wonder if there was a slight improvement made to the 1LE calipers or not.

Take a look at the image I snipped from the pdf here.
I agree with the fellow who said the dealership is probably not the best place for accurate information because the wheel bearings are not a part of the caliper, but there is a possible improvement in brake pedal feel/ travel/response with a stiffer wheel bearing.

That improvement would be noticed in the "knock back" of the pads and caliper piston after high cornering loads when comparing the deflection of the two different wheel bearings.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Phdpsy

Drives: SW 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Dude,I need info on your track day!! i want to run there and need to know which organizations are running there,thanks.
This is the one I had PM'd you about. It is a group of three TX BMW CCA clubs that got together for it. back at the end of last year. It was offered to members of those groups first, ad sold out in a day. I've been trying to watch for who else might be runing there later this year, but it is hard to get info. The Driver's Edge (the group I generally run with in TX...thedriversedge.net) was the first private group to run at COTA and it went great from my friends that ran it. They are likely going to set it up for at least annually. Might contact Rick (owner) through their site and ask. If I run across other upcoming events there, I'll PM you.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdi View Post

With that said... I have been driving on tracks across North America like Mosport, Limerock, and Watkins Glen since 2005 and I would suggest the following to improve the feel of the brake pedal.

1. Steel braided brake hoses.
2. Brake cooling ducts.
3. Brake pads with a higher operating temperature range.
After the above is completed.
To reduce your brake distance
1. R compound tire.
I have been racing and instructing since 1997 and I approve of this message! .

Those are all pretty standard upgrades across the board for most vehicles that work well. The one thing you forgot to add was DOT 4 brake fluid when you swap those lines.

Matt
Old 04-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Abdi
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I have been racing and instructing since 1997 and I approve of this message! .

Those are all pretty standard upgrades across the board for most vehicles that work well. The one thing you forgot to add was DOT 4 brake fluid when you swap those lines.

Matt
I totally overlooked the fluid on my list, thank you for bringing that up. I would replace the fluid just like you, when the lines get replaced.