Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2015 Camaro Fest (VI)

Old 03-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #197
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I have been watching this thread for some time, but have not posted my thoughts. Here they are.

#1 Bowling Green Camaro5FEST is exactly that -- A Camaro5 event. For the C5FEST to continue it has to break even. If it loses money, it goes away.

#2 C5FEST is a SOCIAL event with Camaro stuff wrapped around it. That is what makes it unique among automotive events. Most events are CAR events with some social aspects wrapped around it.

#3 Road Course Events are serious business and should be run that way. Pilots abide by a simple rule -- 12 hours bottle to throttle. Anyone that has been to a Camaro5FEST knows that the Camaro Community in the host hotel parking lot makes that a real challenge. Holding Road Course activities during a Camaro5FEST alters the character of the event.

#4 We setup the CamaroCross to get people involved on turning corners. I know of no other Muscle Car Event where cone racing is as popular or more popular than Drag Racing. Much of that is attributable to the success of the Camaro in the OPTIMA events starting with my Camaro in 2009. Much of that is attributable to the driver interaction, the social aspect of the CamaroCross.

#5 My personal and business interests put a heavy emphasis on road course activities. Having said that, I have been against a road course event at C5FEST because it divides the event between multiple locations. Going forward, it would be my personal preference to have C5 Road Course Events around the country, with a separate C5FEST. There are pros and cons to that approach as well and like most opinions is subject to debate. The last thing the C5 moderators want is the responsibility of coordinating multiple events each year...

In a perfect world, C5 members respect the efforts of the VOLUNTEER moderators that put this event together. As the moderators work their way through balancing a NCM C5FEST track day along with a private event scheduled during the FEST everyone needs to take a deep breath and let them work through the details.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #198
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Thank you Pete..

Here's the link to Thursday's sign-up
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8265429

Old 03-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #199
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 2015 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I would like to do just a parade lap. How and when do I register for that?
For Friday's event, we will be doing parade laps between noon till 1
There will be a small fee for the parade laps.
Michael
Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #200
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
im all signed up for friday. my buddy may come too.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #201
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I have been watching this thread for some time, but have not posted my thoughts. Here they are.

#1 Bowling Green Camaro5FEST is exactly that -- A Camaro5 event. For the C5FEST to continue it has to break even. If it loses money, it goes away.

#2 C5FEST is a SOCIAL event with Camaro stuff wrapped around it. That is what makes it unique among automotive events. Most events are CAR events with some social aspects wrapped around it.

#3 Road Course Events are serious business and should be run that way. Pilots abide by a simple rule -- 12 hours bottle to throttle. Anyone that has been to a Camaro5FEST knows that the Camaro Community in the host hotel parking lot makes that a real challenge. Holding Road Course activities during a Camaro5FEST alters the character of the event.

#4 We setup the CamaroCross to get people involved on turning corners. I know of no other Muscle Car Event where cone racing is as popular or more popular than Drag Racing. Much of that is attributable to the success of the Camaro in the OPTIMA events starting with my Camaro in 2009. Much of that is attributable to the driver interaction, the social aspect of the CamaroCross.

#5 My personal and business interests put a heavy emphasis on road course activities. Having said that, I have been against a road course event at C5FEST because it divides the event between multiple locations. Going forward, it would be my personal preference to have C5 Road Course Events around the country, with a separate C5FEST. There are pros and cons to that approach as well and like most opinions is subject to debate. The last thing the C5 moderators want is the responsibility of coordinating multiple events each year...

In a perfect world, C5 members respect the efforts of the VOLUNTEER moderators that put this event together. As the moderators work their way through balancing a NCM C5FEST track day along with a private event scheduled during the FEST everyone needs to take a deep breath and let them work through the details.
Here are my thoughts.

This will be my 3rd C5 FEST. I have enjoyed all so far. Do to work I can't be there Thursday so I am glad there is a Friday road coarse. I can drive up on Thursday, road coarse Friday, support the C5Fest events on Saturday, and drive home Sunday. That way I am supporting the FEST as I always do and support myself with some road coarse time at a track I really want to run at. Oh, and enjoy the hotel parties and camaraderie to boot. WIN WIN!
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #202
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Here are my thoughts.

This will be my 3rd C5 FEST. I have enjoyed all so far. Do to work I can't be there Thursday so I am glad there is a Friday road coarse. I can drive up on Thursday, road coarse Friday, support the C5Fest events on Saturday, and drive home Sunday. That way I am supporting the FEST as I always do and support myself with some road coarse time at a track I really want to run at. Oh, and enjoy the hotel parties and camaraderie to boot. WIN WIN!
^^^ you just nailed it and know the deal. We all will pack in as much Camaro fun we can into 4 days no mater where it comes from and keep the prices reasonable so you guys can keep our sponsors happy. As long as we break even and have permagrin we'll do it again next year.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #203
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
^^^ you just nailed it and know the deal. We all will pack in as much Camaro fun we can into 4 days no mater where it comes from and keep the prices reasonable so you guys can keep our sponsors happy. As long as we break even and have permagrin we'll do it again next year.
Exactly. ^
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #204
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
But the downside is that if it doesn't break even, there is no CamaroFest next year. So we will see if the multi-event breaks the Camarofest for any future events in 2016+?

I don't really see a "win-win" in that scenario. I see "its a crap shoot" scenario.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #205
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I'm just curious, since this will be my first Camaro5 Fest. Like someone else just mentioned, I too have to work and can only drive up Thursday afternoon/night, so I'll only be around for Friday/Saturday. I've already got an appointment Friday morning for the Corvette plant tour, and I really want to run on the NCM track, but I don't want to miss too much with the Fest of course, since that's my main reason for being there. Does anyone know if there is anything significant that I would miss on Friday by tracking then? Or is the whole event more of a casual display/browse/hang out setup, with no real scheduled event? Thanks for any help guys, and I'm really looking for it whatever happens!

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #206
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
I'm just curious, since this will be my first Camaro5 Fest. Like someone else just mentioned, I too have to work and can only drive up Thursday afternoon/night, so I'll only be around for Friday/Saturday. I've already got an appointment Friday morning for the Corvette plant tour, and I really want to run on the NCM track, but I don't want to miss too much with the Fest of course, since that's my main reason for being there. Does anyone know if there is anything significant that I would miss on Friday by tracking then? Or is the whole event more of a casual display/browse/hang out setup, with no real scheduled event? Thanks for any help guys, and I'm really looking for it whatever happens!
Depends on if you are going to run the drag strip or do AutoX. If not then it's mainly browsing the vendors and car show cars. There will be more open racing time on Friday as class finals and stuff happens on Saturday. Lot's to do and probably not enough time to do it all but pick and choose depending on what you prefer.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #207
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Depends on if you are going to run the drag strip or do AutoX. If not then it's mainly browsing the vendors and car show cars. There will be more open racing time on Friday as class finals and stuff happens on Saturday. Lot's to do and probably not enough time to do it all but pick and choose depending on what you prefer.
Ok, that pretty much answers it, thanks. I'm looking to do the NCM road course, but I have to go Friday, so I'll have to run the private event and do the fest on Saturday.

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #208
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
I'm retired NOW I'll be down early and from the Fest heading to see the east coast Time to enjoy my car and my time off I will be doing all the events. I will run the drag strip. Hit the road course and then take a shot at the Auto cross course Then spend some time at the vendors lane. The parking lots at the host hotel are a Hoot This will be FEST number 4 Many great people and many new friends.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #209
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Ok, that pretty much answers it, thanks. I'm looking to do the NCM road course, but I have to go Friday, so I'll have to run the private event and do the fest on Saturday.
That works... don't forget the meet and greet Thursday night.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #210
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
But the downside is that if it doesn't break even, there is no CamaroFest next year. So we will see if the multi-event breaks the Camarofest for any future events in 2016+?

I don't really see a "win-win" in that scenario. I see "its a crap shoot" scenario.
Any fest is a crap shoot. Heck...any other type of event would be a crap shoot too. Set it up, advertise it, and hope to hell people show up. Luckily, we have a huge number of people who all love these cars and getting together for some racing and back porch parking lot parties.

It's when other outside events get planned at the same time as the main event that we start to worry about how healthy the fest will be. So adding a single day of track racing which doesn't interfere with the Fest at Beech Bend and then sweetening the deal making it affordable to race all three days at both locations...heck, that's a winning combination there. Now...pull people away from the fest to go to another location on a fest day which is not being held by C5 and yes....it puts the fest in jeopardy. Mike knows this and we've discussed this. We hope that even more people come out to Bowling Green due to the track being offered and cross our fingers it doesn't impact the fest too much. If so...yeah, it can hurt future events...or other people's events that are planned around the fest. Right now, I think we should be good. I think we should be able to get at minimum 50 people for the West track on Thursday. Just look at how fast it's taken off already. If we get enough, we do the entire track. Those folks then get to run Friday and Saturday at the fest should they decide to do the entire three day deal. Should work fine. Just hope we don't lose too many to the NCM track on Friday.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote