Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Unless you are going to change them for the illegal long headers then no leave them on they will help with all 3 ad ons
Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #16
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
When the car is tuned and say you are getting the 45 extra hp, will the mpg and torque numbers be affected?
Don't forget you are improving this beasts ability to breath so throughput will increase but wiht that .....If the current ECM can make up the fuel air changes there will be a percentage of efficiency gained. You may have to get an aftermarket mapping to max efficiency. I made minor mods a couple of times to the old 350's and I noticed that a slight increase in mileage came wiht more grunt. Now, if you go for major mods to get high HP increases gas consumption outweighs efficiency.
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
A properly tuned car shouldn't loose MPG because a tuned car is efficient. It seems like (at least) GM tunes on the safe side, so the tunes seem to favor the rich side. Leaning them out a little should save a like gas, I'd think.

I think gains for these parts aren't going to be much more than 30 RWHP with a tune. I think the shorties are the greatest remaining restriction of these parts, but technically, I believe any car that moves the cats' from the OEM location is illegal anyways, and it's not possible to keep the cats' in their OEM locations with long tubes (LTs), so... Some people have to worry about this more than others, but if you don't have to content with strict smog laws, it would be pretty silly not to go with LTs. If I could I would...
if you want to get technical california law states that you cannot modify your car at all. not even a simple CARB approved intake is allowed. thats if you want to be technical. i have no problem in moving the cats, its proven even w/ long tubes you can still pass the sniffer test, sure not visual but sniffer you can, and thats my biggest issue. If a car can blow clean then it should be legal on the street plain and simple. california is just to damn strict, and the laws contradict one another. they have carb approved parts and yet one cannot modify their car so their basically ripping off companies to get their parts CARB approved. thats good ol' california for you haha. still love the state. what other state can u drive an hour west get ocean and drive a hour east and get snow.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
what other state can u drive an hour west get ocean and drive a hour east and get snow.
Oregon and Washington

Alaska in some places you can have both.
dont go swimming
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #19
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
Oregon and Washington

Alaska in some places you can have both.
dont go swimming
lol true. water up here in norhtern ca is pretty cold, down in san diego is where the water gets nice. i love the central valley though, exept during the summer, 110 degree weather sux. i dont know how people handle hotter weather then that.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
if you want to get technical california law states that you cannot modify your car at all. not even a simple CARB approved intake is allowed. thats if you want to be technical. i have no problem in moving the cats, its proven even w/ long tubes you can still pass the sniffer test, sure not visual but sniffer you can, and thats my biggest issue. If a car can blow clean then it should be legal on the street plain and simple. california is just to damn strict, and the laws contradict one another. they have carb approved parts and yet one cannot modify their car so their basically ripping off companies to get their parts CARB approved. thats good ol' california for you haha. still love the state. what other state can u drive an hour west get ocean and drive a hour east and get snow.
Yeah - the California mod'... That is not one I'd recommend to anyone...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
When the car is tuned and say you are getting the 45 extra hp, will the mpg and torque numbers be affected?
There are only 2 ways to improve power, more torque or more revs. So if the tune isn't making the engine spin faster, its improving torque. So a tune will be to make more torque, the bonus is more power.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
.....what other state can u drive an hour west get ocean and drive a hour east and get snow.
Oregon and Washington...Sorry, I'm having a smart@$$ day lol
Old 03-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Oregon and Washington...Sorry, I'm having a smart@$$ day lol
up 4 posts
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #24
Batmaro

Drives: Black Camaro SS/RS
Heard today that we can't pass the emission test in CA with the performance air option. Don't have to worry for 5 years but has anyone heard anything about this?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #25
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
well the car is choked bad with 2 cats 2 resonators and 2 mufflers lol. livernois dynod m6 it had like 364rwhp choked so id say a good set of 1 7/8long tubes (dont waste ur money with shorty's), a good 3inch catback (corsa, magnaflow, etc.), cia, pulley and a tune you should be 400+rwhp
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #26
davidj

Drives: .
California,

There are some ways around the rules and still be legal. For instance; you are allowed to change catalytic converters if they are damaged. So that’s when you take advantage of the situation and replace them with performance Cats that have a CARB E.O. number. If your stock heads need rebuilding because of a bad valve, then it’s time for a new aftermarket head that has an CARB E.O. number, etc, etc. you get the picture. I’ll give you one more example, using my personnel experience here in California. The Car that I used to own was a 1995 Mustang GT. The short block I bought was a 347ci stroker with a forged crank, H-beam connecting rods and 9.8:1 compression forged pistons. An almost stock spec’ed roller cam and rockers with CARB E.O. #. A set of Edelbrock CNC ported heads with CARB E.O. #. Ford Motorsport Stainless Steel Shorty headers with hipo cats and muffler with CARB E.O#. I used a stock Cobra Intake manifold, and a larger throttle body and mass air flow sensor and filter with CARB E.O. #. Well to bring this story to an end, I had all the CARB E.O. # stickers placed in the engine compartment in plane site. The car passed the sniffer test with ease, which in my opinion is the most important part. Now this next part I want to say is where the person doing the test has the most flexibility. I happened to take my car to a place where the owner works on a lot of Hot Rods and custom cars. So when he saw all the CARB stickers he didn’t look twice at the motor, and I was out of there in no time. But if I failed the sniffer it might have been a whole lot harder. Especially if the tester is a tree hugger and has a branch stuck up his arse.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #27
Ace

Drives: On order: Camaro SS/RS,A6, SIM
Longtubes will void the warranty, correct? Are GMPP the only mods that will keep your warranty intact?
3000 4/21/09
3300 5/14/09

3400 5/23/09
3800 6/3/09
IN MY GARAGE 6/11/09!!!!!!!!

REBORN BY LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS 5/21/2010!
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #28
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
I would say shorties are a waste of money!!! mize well keep stock manifolds or spend the extra dollars on longtubes!!! they sound 10 times better then shorties as well

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote