Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #71
One Sick Camaro
That Cam though...

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS 02 T/A WS6 15 SSV
haha true good call
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #72
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
i understand this exhaust drone situation, i do not completey agree with it though, sorry if i am sort of hyjacking this thread, but for me, and possibly others, this is a SPORTS car, and as in the past with these types of cars, louder pipes go hand in hand with that, and to add the cost of the exh. then install. then added pipe,and then weld cost and install price...yikes...costs are lots i think? so forsome i think the sound and drone can be tolorated. thanks for all your info and work on this project. i learned a lot. luv ya man! ryd
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #73
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Sick Camaro View Post
if you want a quiet car why didn't you get a prius lol. Idk maybe me but looks a little redic to see that piping from the back of the car. but glad you found the culprit of the drone for people
My goal wasn't to have a quiet car and I don't have one now. I got MRT because I liked the sound and I still have that. Only now, no drone. So I am still louder than stock and far from a prius. The sound of the exhaust is still there but no annoying vibration and echoing inside the cabin. And that picture from behind the car is take from a low angle while the car is still up on the lift. On the ground, you can't see the new piping. They run up and over the MRT's as well and you can barely even see the mufflers to begin with because they're angled upwards. So nothin can be seen from the back. Besides, anything looks better than the stock cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
i understand this exhaust drone situation, i do not completey agree with it though, sorry if i am sort of hyjacking this thread, but for me, and possibly others, this is a SPORTS car, and as in the past with these types of cars, louder pipes go hand in hand with that, and to add the cost of the exh. then install. then added pipe,and then weld cost and install price...yikes...costs are lots i think? so forsome i think the sound and drone can be tolorated. thanks for all your info and work on this project. i learned a lot. luv ya man! ryd
Yes, this is a sports car and i agree that louder pipes go hand in hand with them. This is why I got the MRT in the first place. However, I'm not lucky enough to have a second car. This is my every day car all year around. So sound is one thing, drone is another. If I'm commuting or even driving my girlfriend and I around for a while, a constant humming and vibration can get very annoying. This mod gets rid of the drone and vibration from it, not the sound. Nobody gets a new exhaust hoping to get a good sounding drone. It's hard to get my point across that drone is gone but sound is still there because I know some people can confuse them as being the same thing (not saying that you are). This is still and MRT sound, still louder than stock. Everything one would want when buying an MRT is still there. I don't know how else to explain it.

Oh and I bought the MRT but installed it myself, so there's no install fee. The pipes I got from Summit on eBay which wasn't a major cost and, yes, I paid a welder for the work, which I feel was worth the cost because I don't own a mig welder (yet.....Christmas gift). Mach did his own I believe so it only cost him the pipes on eBay. Well worth it only IF you are having this problem. If you can tolerate it and it's not worth modding, then fine. I understand it isn't an issue to a lot of people.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #74
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
No one said he wanted quiet...
Thank you
Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #75
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
My goal wasn't to have a quiet car and I don't have one now. I got MRT because I liked the sound and I still have that. Only now, no drone. So I am still louder than stock and far from a prius. The sound of the exhaust is still there but no annoying vibration and echoing inside the cabin. And that picture from behind the car is take from a low angle while the car is still up on the lift. On the ground, you can't see the new piping. They run up and over the MRT's as well and you can barely even see the mufflers to begin with because they're angled upwards. So nothin can be seen from the back. Besides, anything looks better than the stock cans.

Yes, this is a sports car and i agree that louder pipes go hand in hand with them. This is why I got the MRT in the first place. However, I'm not lucky enough to have a second car. This is my every day car all year around. So sound is one thing, drone is another. If I'm commuting or even driving my girlfriend and I around for a while, a constant humming and vibration can get very annoying. This mod gets rid of the drone and vibration from it, not the sound. Nobody gets a new exhaust hoping to get a good sounding drone. It's hard to get my point across that drone is gone but sound is still there because I know some people can confuse them as being the same thing (not saying that you are). This is still and MRT sound, still louder than stock. Everything one would want when buying an MRT is still there. I don't know how else to explain it.

Oh and I bought the MRT but installed it myself, so there's no install fee. The pipes I got from Summit on eBay which wasn't a major cost and, yes, I paid a welder for the work, which I feel was worth the cost because I don't own a mig welder (yet.....Christmas gift). Mach did his own I believe so it only cost him the pipes on eBay. Well worth it only IF you are having this problem. If you can tolerate it and it's not worth modding, then fine. I understand it isn't an issue to a lot of people.
I COMPLETELY understand your point!!! I am very impressed with your guys job with these pipes!!! Nice job!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #76
Saint Alban

Thank you again.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #77
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Sick Camaro View Post
if you want a quiet car why didn't you get a prius lol. Idk maybe me but looks a little redic to see that piping from the back of the car. but glad you found the culprit of the drone for people
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
i understand this exhaust drone situation, i do not completey agree with it though, sorry if i am sort of hyjacking this thread, but for me, and possibly others, this is a SPORTS car, and as in the past with these types of cars, louder pipes go hand in hand with that...
There is a difference between a good sounding car and DRONE...which can be annoying, and if its really bad can be down-right disturbing. I've ridden in SIXJAK's car when it had LT headers and SOLO exhaust...loud as hell and you could plainly hear the exhaust note inside the car, but what the SOLO J pipes did was help remove the annoying drone that comes with these types of exhaust.

This is the best situation possible and these kind of pipes help make that possible. Nothing wrong with wanting to remove drone since the exhaust note itself is left unchanged.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #78
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
There is a difference between a good sounding car and DRONE...which can be annoying, and if its really bad can be down-right disturbing. I've ridden in SIXJAK's car when it had LT headers and SOLO exhaust...loud as hell and you could plainly hear the exhaust note inside the car, but what the SOLO J pipes did was help remove the annoying drone that comes with these types of exhaust.

This is the best situation possible and these kind of pipes help make that possible. Nothing wrong with wanting to remove drone since the exhaust note itself is left unchanged.
Damn you! I was really trying to get my point across without so many words.......and you did it better.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #79
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Drone reminds me of a ghetto rice burner with a fart can. Its not normal to have 90db of BRRRRRRRR! Shooting in your ears!

This cost me 60 dollars in materials. The pipes are invisible even if you bring your head down to tail light level. Now my only car is quiet comfortable under normal driving and still more aggresive then stock MRTs when I step on it. The helmholz pipes bring out the true tone of this motor because it's not masked by drone.

So for those who say this is a Sports Car... Yes it is. And now it sounds like one.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #80
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
Damn you! I was really trying to get my point across without so many words.......and you did it better.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #81
technoside2

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Send a message via AIM to technoside2
anyone have a video of the in cabin at 70-75 mph with the helmholtz and MRT 2.0 ?
technoside2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #82
Saint Alban

No but I think Mach might be able to get that before I could. Send him a PM, maybe he can record something. I can promise you it's quiet though, but I understand you'd need proof.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #83
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I have MRT 1.0 and drone is unbarable for me. Ive been trying to find solutions to fix this, was leaning towards Dynamat but I may do this. Ill have to call up Midas (who installed/welded my exhaust) to see if the guy can do these Helmz pipes. The guy seemed very knowledgeable when I talked to him about my pipes so Im hoping he can do it. Saint Alban, whered you get yours done? If my guy cant do it I may consider coming out to NYC to get it done since your guy already knows how to do it.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #84
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoside2 View Post
anyone have a video of the in cabin at 70-75 mph with the helmholtz and MRT 2.0 ?

I can but you wont hear anything. Its pretty quiet. My Sig Scope picture should tell a paint the big picture. Notice how the 120HZ hump is gone!

Before at 75MPH..

After at 75MPH..

Keep in mind that just several DBs make a huge difference. I canceled out 10DB. 10DB equals twice the perceived loudness.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!

Last edited by Mach; 12-20-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote