Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
aron77

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
why can't this stuff just go smooth?

I got my new rk spoiler on and I had to leave my car at the shop an extra day cuz it had a two blemishes, one a crevice and one a pin hole or fish eye. So I got it back today and the fish eye looks better but you can still see where the crevice was and there are several minor imperfections including another fish eye that I just noticed. I love the way it looks but it is tainted by these imperfections. I am not really thrilled with shop or the spoiler as far as quality. I don't know if this is normal for aftermarket parts, as far as how rough they come, like the shop guy said or if they just did bad work? I'd post more pics but other than the fish eye I don't think it would show up on a camera.

Maybe I just got what I paid for cuz I'm 225, shipped, in on the spoiler which was at least 100 less than the mpd and others I was considering and I'm only 197 in on the labor which included painting the spoiler, mounting it and fixing a gash on my door handle. I have been without my car alot lately so I don't want to drop it off again. I can overlook most of it other than the fish eye really bothers me cuz it is a breach in the paint so it pretty much looks like a rock chip but on the other hand as time goes by it is going to get little stuff like that so it would be like fretting over every little rock chip on my car. I'm tempted to have someone else look at it and see what they think about the workmanship and see how much they'd charge to make it look perfect. Idk I'm just frustrated cuz I love how it looks but this is such a pain.
Attached Images

Mods to date: Black ice-olator, Vmax ported throttle body, doug thorley cat back exhaust, cold air inductions intake, rx catch can, vn 805 18" rims, tinted windows-20% in back and 35% in front, SS front bumper,RK sport spoiler painted gloss black, hood spears, gill inserts, trunk blackout, and bowtie blackouts with autobot. Wish list: GM cup and footwell lighting, t2 or t3 bumper (f that price), fender dashes, and...
aron77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
CamaroWinz

Drives: 2LT/RS (TBD)
Prolly GM's fault.
CamaroWinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroWinz View Post
Prolly GM's fault.
For an aftermarket spoiler?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
CamaroWinz

Drives: 2LT/RS (TBD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
For an aftermarket spoiler?
Just keeping alive a concept introduced by OP into an earlier thread and, admittedly, being kind of a smartass.
CamaroWinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Love the look. Any plans on smoked tail lights and side markers?
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Take it back. Get it done right.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
So it sounds like you got it back once - it fish eyed and you gave it back - they just painted over the fish eye? They should have stripped it down to the base - I'd push them to make it right the proper way - especially if it still has fish eyes.

This is not a result of the aftermarket part - it's absolutely the guy painting it. Fish eyes are the result of improper preparation BEFORE painting or paint contamination. It's on them.

I'm curious about the fish eye if you would post the picture.
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Vintage-Iron
Banned

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS/RS
I agree take it back if you arent happy, that is their job to make customers happy I would think?
Vintage-Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
aron77

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I think I'm going to get a second opinion, I've really lost faith in this shop. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt for how the spoiler looked at first but I was already shocked that they would tell me it was ready with such obvious flaws. So I left it there another day after pointing out the flaws. I was hoping it would look passable and the one fish eye looked fine but the crevice tho now painted over was still evident and I noticed another fish eye after I got it home plus there are a few little divits that you can see if you look closely. The divits I can over look but the crevice and the fish eye are eye soars and the fish eye is a breach in the paint. I really get the feeling that he quoted me a price thinking it was going to be in pretty much primed condition and when he got it he didn't want to put the work into making it look right cuz he told me that in order to make it look perfect that they have to put more primer on it and keep sanding but obviously they didn't want to take the time and are willing to let something out of their shop that does not represent them well.
Mods to date: Black ice-olator, Vmax ported throttle body, doug thorley cat back exhaust, cold air inductions intake, rx catch can, vn 805 18" rims, tinted windows-20% in back and 35% in front, SS front bumper,RK sport spoiler painted gloss black, hood spears, gill inserts, trunk blackout, and bowtie blackouts with autobot. Wish list: GM cup and footwell lighting, t2 or t3 bumper (f that price), fender dashes, and...
aron77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Hey dude, I've done restoration work on my classics (including a frame off on my Cutlass) and some BS is almost always unsatisfactory the first time. They shipped the wrong part or didn't install properly or the fit and finish is wrong etc etc. I don't tell you this to discourage you. just know that if you go into it with cautious optimism then the disappointment is minimized and if it is right it's particularly rewarding. Hang tough and keep rollin'!