Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Nope. You are over the bumper to bumper (36k miles). Also I'm pretty sure we diagnosed your issue to be the bulb, and they aren't covered obviously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Because the diagnostics of a sand-blasted cylinder wall, means the filter let in too much dirt and fine particles, and the filter is not OEM spec
To carry this a little further, the oiled filer is designed with a looser fabric which allows more air to flow. The oil is there to catch the particles in the air.

The two major problems with them are that people either oil them too much, which results in a fouled MAF sensor as well as the dust and dirt filled oil getting ingested. Or, people afraid of over oiling the filter, don't oil it enough, thus more dirt goes in the engine.

Oiled filters are fine, and effective, they just require more care than non oiled filters.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #16
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
To carry this a little further, the oiled filer is designed with a looser fabric which allows more air to flow. The oil is there to catch the particles in the air.

The two major problems with them are that people either oil them too much, which results in a fouled MAF sensor as well as the dust and dirt filled oil getting ingested. Or, people afraid of over oiling the filter, don't oil it enough, thus more dirt goes in the engine.

Oiled filters are fine, and effective, they just require more care than non oiled filters.
I would guess an average of 5-10% of oiled filters I see are taken care of properly, but most are installed and forgotten about until they nearly collapse from the dirt load. I prefer just to save the hassle of worrying about under/over oiling and just put on the z/28 intake with the cloth filter. Sure I don't get 80 bajillion miles per filter from cleaning and reusing the filter and it cost me ~$60 per filter but I do know that the filter is doing it's job correctly.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote