Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
cabbe

Drives: 2014 2ss 1le
Are the SS and the 1LE suspensions the same?

I used to have a 2011 2SS, and I bought coilovers for it. But then I traded it in for a 2014 2SS 1LE.

Will the coilovers fit my 2014 1LE?
cabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Kado047

Drives: VW... soon to be a 1LE
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kado047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
I don't think they are the same.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #4
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
they are not even close lol...AND leave the 1LE suspension stock, unless you think some company that makes something(coil overs) for every brand of car, has better camaro engineers and deeper pockets than GM.

Last edited by backeddy; 06-25-2015 at 12:24 AM.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The rear suspension lower control arms were changed in 2012 but that affected mainly the stabilizer bar drop link location. I think your coilovers will work.

The 1LE has the same springs as the SS but different shocks. Also the stabilizer bars and rear toe links are different.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
cabbe

I mainly want it a little bit lower. Would it be better to only install lowered springs instead of coilovers?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:27 PM   #7
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
if you want it lower, see Justice Pete for the knuckle drop, it is the only way I would do it. I usually will not promote anything unless I KNOW the product, but Pete knows his stuff. He and I disagree on a few things on this board, but I still have no problem recommending him...that should tell you something.

If your budget is $$$$ you could go the Z28 suspension route too....
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:12 AM   #8
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Understand the effects on toe, caster and camber when you lower and how this may negatively affect handling. PM @Norcalzl1 or @JusticePete and learn the proper way to do this. Even @OrangeCrush1LE didn't lower the same rate front to back. If not careful and proper you stand to F up that great handling suspension Chevy gave us. Don't just lower. Measure. Analyze. Correct.

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Welcome to the 1LE forum where everyone has an opinion! Lets have some fun and break this down a bit for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
they are not even close lol...AND leave the 1LE suspension stock, unless you think some company that makes something(coil overs) for every brand of car, has better camaro engineers and deeper pockets than GM.
The OP did not mention the brand. I would take brands such as Ohlin, Moton, Penske and Detroit Speed etc over stock any day. The 1LE suspension is very good, but its not the end all be all as the GM engineers (who I stand behind/have worked with) do have to make compromises in performance for the real world while keeping within a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
The rear suspension lower control arms were changed in 2012 but that affected mainly the stabilizer bar drop link location. I think your coilovers will work.

The 1LE has the same springs as the SS but different shocks. Also the stabilizer bars and rear toe links are different.
^ Useful information! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbe View Post
I mainly want it a little bit lower. Would it be better to only install lowered springs instead of coilovers?
There are many opinions and threads about dropsprings on a 1LE. Here is mine: I have Pedders springs on all 4 corners, 15mm lower in the front and 30mm in the rear. If I were to do it again I would now use the BMR 1" rear springs with the 460in/lb rate and leave the front stock. This gives you the appearance of the lowered car, and a higher rear springs rate to help with rotation because you have changed the rake. If you do lower the rear you will also need some camber bolts to get the camber back within spec. Pedders bolts are out there, but way overpriced. SBC makes a camber caster bolt set, you will need two, one for each side if you go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
if you want it lower, see Justice Pete for the knuckle drop, it is the only way I would do it. I usually will not promote anything unless I KNOW the product, but Pete knows his stuff. He and I disagree on a few things on this board, but I still have no problem recommending him...that should tell you something.

If your budget is $$$$ you could go the Z28 suspension route too....
I agree on the Z/28 route if you track the car as it is an easy upgrade with no fuss, however the OP just wants it slightly lower.

Recommending knuckle drops is slight contradiction to what you stated above regarding leaving the 1LE stock. Does Pete have an engineering degree? Does he have deeper pockets than GM and know more about the Camaro suspension than the Engineers on TEAM Camaro? Do you know more than the engineers on TEAM Camaro as you have "promoted" him?? The backeddy stamp of approval means what exactly? < All fair and important questions to qualify who we listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Understand the effects on toe, caster and camber when you lower and how this may negatively affect handling. PM @Norcalzl1 or @JusticePete and learn the proper way to do this. Even @OrangeCrush1LE didn't lower the same rate front to back. If not careful and proper you stand to F up that great handling suspension Chevy gave us. Don't just lower. Measure. Analyze. Correct.

-CRT Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, do it right or don't do it at all...

OP, we are all very free with our opinions on the forums, but that is all they are, opinions. Good luck.

Matt
Old 06-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
cabbe

So it seems like people like to put the z28 coils on their 1le struts. How much does this cost? Is it a direct fit?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
So it seems like people like to put the z28 coils on their 1le struts. How much does this cost? Is it a direct fit?
Very general statement.

The Z/28 springs are not a direct fit to the 1LE struts. The spring rates are also too high for the 1LE struts to effectively handle.

The Z/28 springs are sold for $337.18 for all 4 (front Z/28 springs are $80.75 Each, rears are $87.84 each).
Old 06-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
cabbe

Damn!

All I want is to lower it a little. Is there really no way that won't cost an arm or a leg or give me a crap ride.

Last edited by cabbe; 06-30-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #13
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Damn!

All I want is to lower it a little. Is there really no way that won't cost an arm or a leg or give me a crap ride.
Spend $95 + shipping on the rear BMR 1" springs, install them and have the car aligned. You might be surprised what lower just the rear will do for looks.

If you can do the install yourself you should have about $200ish into it, if you need o pay someone I would hope it wouldn't be more than $160....so $360 or so total.

There are pictures on my build thread (in my sig) of my car stock, with only the Pedders 30mm springs on the rear and then with front and rear springs. Page 1, Post #9