Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Nicklongino

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Just throwing this in here. I have the vinyl overlays for mine and they are supposedly transparent. I actually asked 2 cops today if they were illegal I hit the brake and they said no.

Check out Bigwormgraphics.com They installed them and they supply them. Very good work!
Nicklongino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
KeepItShut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklongino View Post
Just throwing this in here. I have the vinyl overlays for mine and they are supposedly transparent. I actually asked 2 cops today if they were illegal I hit the brake and they said no.

Check out Bigwormgraphics.com They installed them and they supply them. Very good work!
I got my stuff from them, awesome product! You talking to the cops makes me wonder if I could head to the local police station and have them look at it (maybe get in writing they are ok???)

Wooden Heart - thanks for the LEO input! The trooper that pulled me over recently told me they have to reflect 100-600 ft and the brakes have to shine red light up to 1000 ft. Seems correct from what I read last year before I made the purchase... I never thought about what to do when my vehicle comes up for inspection though...
KeepItShut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Same problem

I got picked up just outside SA for this same issue. Trooper said I could have them blacked out but must have a red reflector attached to trunk lid at the height of the tail lights. My wife does DOT compliance for her company and looked up the code.
Sub Section 547.327 states (a) with at least one lamp that emits a white light visible at a distance of at least 1000 ft from the front end and: (1) two lamps that emit a red light visible at a distance of at least 1000 ft from the rear; or (2) one lamp that emits a red light visible at a distance of at least 1000ft from the rear and two red reflectors visible when illuminated by the lawful lower beams of headlamps at all distances from 100 to 600ft to the rear.
This is the part that got me. Not reflective. I got mine from Bigworm but got the darkest he had. I took mine off and will pay the twelve bucks. When I get my LED's I will get new ones but probably not as dark.
After rereading this it looks like I may have been able to get away with it since it states two lamps visible from 1000ft or one lamp and two reflectors. Wife says since lights are not on during the day that 'technically' it is a violation. She states the LEO can cite you for anything he wants and it will be up to you to prove him wrong and go through all that hassle. She deals with that on a daily basis with all of her drivers. FWIW
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
TAPSHIFT

Drives: '11 IBM 2SS/RS '16 1GB Z51 ragtop
Pulled over 3 times in 4 months by DPS...

Easy answer to your issue......
Either take them off , or, don't bitch about being stopped.
TAPSHIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
I got picked up just outside SA for this same issue. Trooper said I could have them blacked out but must have a red reflector attached to trunk lid at the height of the tail lights. My wife does DOT compliance for her company and looked up the code.
Sub Section 547.327 states (a) with at least one lamp that emits a white light visible at a distance of at least 1000 ft from the front end and: (1) two lamps that emit a red light visible at a distance of at least 1000 ft from the rear; or (2) one lamp that emits a red light visible at a distance of at least 1000ft from the rear and two red reflectors visible when illuminated by the lawful lower beams of headlamps at all distances from 100 to 600ft to the rear.
This is the part that got me. Not reflective. I got mine from Bigworm but got the darkest he had. I took mine off and will pay the twelve bucks. When I get my LED's I will get new ones but probably not as dark.
After rereading this it looks like I may have been able to get away with it since it states two lamps visible from 1000ft or one lamp and two reflectors. Wife says since lights are not on during the day that 'technically' it is a violation. She states the LEO can cite you for anything he wants and it will be up to you to prove him wrong and go through all that hassle. She deals with that on a daily basis with all of her drivers. FWIW
Can't you just trim the vinyl so that the top part is not covered thereby meeting compliance with the reflector?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #20
Wooden Heart

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItShut View Post
I got my stuff from them, awesome product! You talking to the cops makes me wonder if I could head to the local police station and have them look at it (maybe get in writing they are ok???)

Wooden Heart - thanks for the LEO input! The trooper that pulled me over recently told me they have to reflect 100-600 ft and the brakes have to shine red light up to 1000 ft. Seems correct from what I read last year before I made the purchase... I never thought about what to do when my vehicle comes up for inspection though...
You're welcome.
Wooden Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #21
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Heart View Post
Austinjames is correct to an extent, as long as red is showing you're good. By Texas law, the lens should be red and emitting a red light visible by no less than 500-1,000 feet (i can't remember which number it is). I'm a law enforcement officer and I had blacked out tails on my old personal vehicle. I didn't get pulled over a whole lot for them, but when it came time to get it inspected, the shops around town wouldn't let it pass because they were being cracked down on. Whether if you know it or not, most of your larger counties (Dallas, Tarrant, Bexar, Williamson, Travis, etc...) actually have a department devoted to going undercover trying to catch shops passing vehicles when they shouldn't be. And trust me, the agent/officer doesn't even have to be there. He can monitor it all from a remote link since all inspections stations (except for really small counties with no emissions regulations) typically use the computer diagnostic systems to inspect the vehicles.
I believe the law says they must be reflective too.

OOPs I see someone already posted that..............
Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #22
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItShut View Post
Big Worm does do awesome work.
As far as asking one Officer about this, I'm sure there's an actual check on it, but it seems more an interpretation type. What one officer may see as ok, another may think is too dark type of thing.

I do agree with a lot of the posters though, if you keep getting pulled over for it, just take them off.
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
Blacked out tail lights were played out after the 2nd fast and furious movie. What are they on now, #5?
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #24
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Spray paint the vinyl red.
Brilliant!
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Don't move; just understand that the law enforement agencies in that area use stuff like shaded windows, blacked out lights, and no-license plates to fish .... it's just an excuse to pull you over and check you out.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
So the big bright ass brake light in the rear window isn't visible? Maybe people should just pay attention. At the end of the day though "law enforcement" is a big business and they have to make some money.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
So the big bright ass brake light in the rear window isn't visible? Maybe people should just pay attention. At the end of the day though "law enforcement" is a big business and they have to make some money.
The third brake light isn't reflective.
Also, it's not counted apparently. I had my truck inspected with the third out one time. When I asked about replacing the light, I was told that it didn't matter as long as the two main brake lights were good.
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
Safety is big business to most folks on the road.