Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
FDNY-L107

Drives: 2020 COPO #006
ZL-1 Really a Z-28? - Theory

Hi Folks,

Let me throw something out.....last evening I was installing my new set of ZL-1 rocker panels that I had just purchased this week on my 2011 Camaro LS. As I was performing the installation, I took note of the part information stamped on the back of each rocker panel. Please note the attached picture I took. Notice anything yet?

Yes, you are reading this correctly. The part number clearly calls out this is in fact a "Z-28 Rocker Panel".

This may of been reported before, but following GM for some 40 years now and having worked in the corporate sector for some top 50 companies for the last 25 years plus, I understand how large corporations work.....so my theory began.

Given the recent news and speculation over GM's (renewing) trademarking the "Z-28" option code, this is begining to really line up.

My theory (and just that, I have no proof), is simple. The ZL-1 was in fact originally slated to be the new Z-28 model. Anyone that knows manufacturing and production understands that part names and numbers are established early before any production runs are actually executed. Further proof might be to examine additional ZL-1 specific parts and determine if in fact, the Z-28 code is stamped.

Assuming this was the case, several things could of happened prior to GM giving the final green light to name the car Z-28.

First, since GM fell behind in the Z-28 trademark registration and in fact GM did not hold rights to the Z-28 trademark, releasing the car under this model name would likely allow the after market industry not to have licensing or trademark restrictions - ie. GM looses a lot of money.
Second, some long term stragety change could of occured late, positioning the ZL-1 in the upper sector of the model line-up in which the Z-28 would be positioned (or marketed), either below or above the SS. But then why the Z-28 stamped parts specific to the ZL-1? One could conclude, but not likely, that some ZL-1 parts would be reused on the soon to be released Z-28. I find that hard to believe.

Finally, regardless if you believe this or not, the fact remains, GM has or had the Z-28 model on the boards at some point. And in fact, it would likely to have been on the boards very close to actual production or parts would not be released with the Z-28 stamped name on them.

Hopefully this stirs up some thoughts and further commments - I know we will find out how it all played out at some point in time.

Attached Images

2020 COPO #006, John Force Edition 5.7 SC
Gone, but not forgotten:
*2019 ZL1 755WHP/782RWTQ
*2011 LS V6 375HP, 6 speed
*1994 Camaro V6, 5 speed
*1985 IROC Z 5.0TPI (special factory ordered 1st new car)
*1979 Z-28 4-speed 350
*1975 Camaro 350 Auto (first car owned)
RESERVED:
*2023 Hummer EV 3X Pickup
*2024 Hummer EV 3X SUV
FDNY-L107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Well, The original ZL-1 was made to go fast straight and the original Z/28 was made to go fast around curves.

What does our current ZL1 do well?

1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
According to FBODFATHER................"WHAT Z-28"

I wrote it before, get the most expensive Camaro out first "ZL1" , wait till the demand starts to diminish and hit the hold-outs waiting for "Z28" what they want.........
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Thanks for sharing this pic. I agree that it shows that the Z28 name was being heavily considered before the name was changed to the ZL1 or the engineers or marketing folks decided to alter the direction of the car. I'm going to be surprised to see a Z28 on the gen 5 platform.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Thanks for sharing this pic. I agree that it shows that the Z28 name was being heavily considered before the name was changed to the ZL1 or the engineers or marketing folks decided to alter the direction of the car. I'm going to be surprised to see a Z28 on the gen 5 platform.
They were counting their chickens before they hatched when they printed Z-28 on those parts.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Yup, there's a thread about this and another part http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215085
Old 10-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Ho hum, really ooooooooollllllddddd news!! This has been pointed out about several parts, Chevy originally intended today's ZL1 to be the Z/28, I think the uproar from the Z/28 "purists" (of which I'm one), Z/28 "old geezers" (again, of which I'm one) on many forums that either owned or knew the first gen. Z/28 inside out were lambasting Chevy for wanting to name an over two ton behemoth that had an engine that was not naturally aspirated and calling that a Z/28. Many of us view the Z/28 as a performance vehicle with an awesome heritage (despite some of the later gens. missteps) and a new Z/28 should be that great performance vehicle again. Apparently some of the Chevy execs finally "saw the light" and decided to change the new vehicles name to ZL1 (which had it's own awesome heritage) and reserve the Z/28 nametag for an offering more true to the heritage of the original Z/28. And we still might see something other than a NA engine, but in a more appropriate vehicle, whether it be at the tail end of the fifth gen or in the sizth gen, or both.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
^...yes, there was some rear suspension part that had a PN on it with Z28 previously mentioned on this site. I believe these works were initially intentioned to be a Z28 until the project was cancelled due to the economic crisis, then revived in the form of the ZL1 upon which time they used.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Very interesting. I wonder if maybe a potential future z28 would share these components.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Hard to say..., I know they listen to us, but...I feel it's doubtful on a C5 line..., going forward there is the carbon edition ZL1 that still has to make a debut..., and they had a Hotwheels Edition that may make a debut <and I felt that configuration had legs to bring a Z28 to market> but in the end who knows, there is nothing in the wind to support any hope. We shall see once the big shows start up, then we may have some insight. Stay thirsty my friend...
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
It seems likely the ZL1 was supposed to be a Z/28 but was changed.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It seems likely the ZL1 was supposed to be a Z/28 but was changed.
That seems to be the consensus of opinion ever since right before the ZL1 introduction announcement.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #13
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Barring the financial issues that enveloped the country and GM with it there would have been a Z/28 earlier in the 5th Gen life cycle. That project was shelved for a while and came back as the ZL1. Is there a Z/28 5th Gen coming... where else would they put the C6 Z06 left over LS7s when the C7 is introduced.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Barring the financial issues that enveloped the country and GM with it there would have been a Z/28 earlier in the 5th Gen life cycle. That project was shelved for a while and came back as the ZL1. Is there a Z/28 5th Gen coming... where else would they put the C6 Z06 left over LS7s when the C7 is introduced.
Sell them off as crate engines.

Is there even a real chance GM would use the LS7 in a Z/28?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote