Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '05 Impala, '10 IOM Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to camaroluver
What is going on with my car??

I have a 2SS manual. I took delivery Aug. 7th and currently have a little over 9,000 miles. Thursday the car was running normal when we took it out for a spin and to fill the gas tank. Friday morning my husband went to take it to our dealer to get the oil changed, when he started the car there was a loud and very noticable ticking/knocking noise coming from the engine. This is the 1st time we have heard this sound, best way to describe it is the sound made when a kid puts a card in the spokes of a bicycle and rides around only louder. It can be heard with the windows up or down and the speed of the ticking increases with acceleration. However no other problems such as decreased power or warning lights. Anyway he takes it to the dealer and they give it a quick look while changing the oil. The tech says it sounds like a lifter is stuck. However they were busy and said they would get to it on Monday....Monday came and went with no answer and then today at 2 I finally got a call from the service manager. He informs me that they are sure its not a lifter stuck but that they basically have no clue what it is! Apparently him and the tech have spent the whole day on the phone with different departments at GM and still have no clue what is causing the sound. Anybody had an issue like this? It is not the same ticking people have asked about when the car is first started. This is there from the time you start the car till you shut it off.
One other problem I have them looking at while it is in is a transmission problem. Not every time but on a few occasions when downshifting to 2nd gear it will not let you put it in to 2nd gear, at the time I have this problem it can be varying speeds but not high speed.
2010 Camaro 2SS IOM/Black Interior/Black Hood & Hockey Stripes #26,805
Ordered 1/30/09 as a surprise for me by the best husband ever! Delivered 8/6/09 to me!!!

camaroluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I would have the dealer check for an exhaust manifold leak. I have no idea regarding
the transmission.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
There have been some reports of the roller bearings falling out of the rocker arms, but a lot of these cases happen with aftermarket cams. This is certainly a possiblity. Either way, the tech should use a stethoscope to isolate the source and probably pull the valve cover to see if anything is wrong. I'd of thought GM would authorize some type of further diagnostics to be done.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
I would have the dealer check for an exhaust manifold leak. I have no idea regarding
the transmission.
I have asked them to check this out this morning but haven't heard anything back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
There have been some reports of the roller bearings falling out of the rocker arms, but a lot of these cases happen with aftermarket cams. This is certainly a possiblity. Either way, the tech should use a stethoscope to isolate the source and probably pull the valve cover to see if anything is wrong. I'd of thought GM would authorize some type of further diagnostics to be done.
Hmm maybe I'll suggest it to them, although I have the stock cam. The only aftermarket parts are a CAI and SLP Loudmouth exhaust, they were put on within a few weeks of us taking delivery so I don't think it has to do with either of them, could be wrong of course. Still playing the waiting game they have to find something soon!!
Ordered 1/30/09 as a surprise for me by the best husband ever! Delivered 8/6/09 to me!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
all the 4rth gens I owned v6 or v8 had a slight ticking/taping sound that seamed to be comming from the air box/ intake and especially if you had a aftermarket air intake. I beleive it's called valve taping. I don't recall ever hearing it inside the car , you could only hear it when you got close to the front of the car. Anyhow from my understanding slight valve taping is not a big deal. One way to fix it is getting a louder exhaust.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Oh man. ls1's had piston slap, and mad valve train noise. AKA sewing machine noise.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
I'm just wondering why do people downshift? I have never and I mean never downshifted in anycar. I simply slap it in N and just brake and depending on where the speed is determines which gear I throw it into. Sorry off topic just wanted to ask that since you mentioned downshifting.

And yes I have been driving manuals for over 15 years so no I'm no rookie
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Trouble is its hard for any of us to diagnose as we can't hear it. Take it for a second opinion if they can't find it.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Betro02

Drives: Powerful
I remember that the early version's of the LS engines had a knocking nosie, weird well good luck with everything.
Betro02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
I'm just wondering why do people downshift? I have never and I mean never downshifted in anycar. I simply slap it in N and just brake and depending on where the speed is determines which gear I throw it into. Sorry off topic just wanted to ask that since you mentioned downshifting.

NOBODY MOVE... THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post

When I say downshift I don't mean going down in each gear as the car slows down. I meaning that if I'm cruising along and have to slow down and then go to a lower gear that if it is 2nd gear it doesn't always allow me to go in to 2nd I have to go into another gear or put in N and let off the clutch and try to go into gear again. I know it isn't driver error since I have no problem shifting from 1st to 2nd with no problem or when slowing down shifting into any other lower gear. And it doesn't happen all the time. Anyway I got off topic here too LOL! I started out driving a manual 14 yrs ago however it had been a few yrs since I drove one till I got my car in August so I'm somewhat of a rookie I guess.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
all the 4rth gens I owned v6 or v8 had a slight ticking/taping sound that seamed to be comming from the air box/ intake and especially if you had a aftermarket air intake. I beleive it's called valve taping. I don't recall ever hearing it inside the car , you could only hear it when you got close to the front of the car. Anyhow from my understanding slight valve taping is not a big deal. One way to fix it is getting a louder exhaust.
This isn't any slight noise, it is loud and can't no way be normal. It just started this noise last Friday and we have had the CAI on since about a week or so after we got the car in August.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
NOBODY MOVE... THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I think you need to start a new thread on this topic. We could have a lot of fun with that question. This is not the right place.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Injectors? Mine has a tick as well, but it's not really all that loud.. I'm sure it's just the injectors. My LT1 had significant injector tick.