Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
jfcamaro

Drives: 2012 V6 Black on Black Camaro
2012 v6 oil issue

I have a 2012 v6 and it has 32,000 miles on it and it started using oil oil like crazy then started ticking! I brought it to the dealer and they said they think its the timing chain loose. It would only do it under a load! They told me that Gm said I had to drive it a 1000 miles to do a fluid check. I was not happy that Gm would make me drive it 1000 miles with it sounding so bad! So I did what they wanted and no they tell me indeed it is burning a lot of oil and Gm is making them go through the whole motor that I guess takes a ton of man hours to do! The service women said the tec wasnt real happy to have to spend so much time and I have to say that didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy!! So here I sit and wait to see what happens next! Driving a Rental that I get according to them only five days?? Anyone else having this issue!! I love my ride and this just sucks!
jfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
This is a pretty common issue with these cars, do a seach and you'll find others.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
The tech wasn't real happy to have to spend too much time on it? Well too bad. He's getting paid for the work. Boy some dealerships suck! Hopefully it won't take too long. I also hope the rental car is on them. Good luck!
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
I am curious if this is happening with the 2013's? I just hit 10k on mine and have not had any issues as of yet(fingers crossed)

Anyone know if GM fixed this problem with the 13's?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcamaro View Post
I have a 2012 v6 and it has 32,000 miles on it and it started using oil oil like crazy then started ticking! I brought it to the dealer and they said they think its the timing chain loose. It would only do it under a load! They told me that Gm said I had to drive it a 1000 miles to do a fluid check. I was not happy that Gm would make me drive it 1000 miles with it sounding so bad! So I did what they wanted and no they tell me indeed it is burning a lot of oil and Gm is making them go through the whole motor that I guess takes a ton of man hours to do! The service women said the tec wasnt real happy to have to spend so much time and I have to say that didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy!! So here I sit and wait to see what happens next! Driving a Rental that I get according to them only five days?? Anyone else having this issue!! I love my ride and this just sucks!
drive it a 1000 miles in first gear, then they can buy you an engine and a tranny. GM DEALER FAIL
Old 04-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
I have 36000 miles on my V6 and it burns a little oil, I have always kept a good eye on it, in fact every time I fill up I check it, now issues yet here.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'BlueCoupe View Post
I have 36000 miles on my V6 and it burns a little oil, I have always kept a good eye on it, in fact every time I fill up I check it, now issues yet here.
from what I understand it was a problem on the LLT's and corrected on the LFX. so 2012 and up should be fine.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
v6_camaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
Report to GM that you're not happy with the dealership and go to a different one. The dealership where I bought mine did a sloppy job installing the GFX. They dinked the right front fender at the body line and didn't snap the rear bumper in place. In your case, you have an engine issue that can be more costly to repair if it's not done right. If the tech wasnt' happy doing the work, there's a good likelihood that the job wasn't done right.
v6_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnkost View Post
I am curious if this is happening with the 2013's? I just hit 10k on mine and have not had any issues as of yet(fingers crossed)

Anyone know if GM fixed this problem with the 13's?
I have a 13 and I'm hearing a fairly noticeable tick. I have only 2100 miles... it could be normal though
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Hello jfcamaro,

I understand your frustrations with the wait and time away from your vehicle. I would like to monitor this situation. If possible, could you private message me your name, VIN#, current mileage and involved dealer information? I will contact your dealer to inquire about the process going forward and follow up with you.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
from what I understand it was a problem on the LLT's and corrected on the LFX. so 2012 and up should be fine.
That's what I thought as well, but the OP has a 2012 (LFX).
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter11 View Post
I have a 13 and I'm hearing a fairly noticeable tick. I have only 2100 miles... it could be normal though
These motors normally have a tick to them. You can thank the DI a d VVT for that.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
The service women said the tec wasnt real happy to have to spend so much time and I have to say that didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy!!
Oh man that sucks,. I'd consider trying another dealer.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Hrrrmmm...timing chain issue is well known with the 2010s and 2011 V6s. Thought maybe it was fixed with the 2012s, but then again I thought I read from someone here that maybe the real source of the issue wasn't corrected until the 2013 model.

Hell who knows. I do know that at some point the 2011s and up got a stronger chain than the 2010s which helps. What you really have to do is keep up on frequent oil changes and check the oil level often, which is a shame but it is important to keep an eye on things with this engine.

GM is well aware of the issue, and they should cover you. I've read of many other cases of this on here where GM did the work under warranty, even on some modded V6s.