Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #113
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Are there any drawbacks to having vinyl stripes put on BEFORE the clear coat? I don't think the factory would do this, but does anyone know why? Wouldn't that keep the nicks and scratched off the vinyl, help keep the vinyl from peeling up on the edges, and produce a glossy painted look like the rest of the car that people like? (Matte black stripe people are an exception)
Cost is the only drawback I can think of. Putting them under the clear coat is the best way to do vinyl. It holds it down and the UV protection of the clear coat makes them last as long as the paint. Vinyl comes in many different grades/thicknesses. The higher the grade the longer it lasts and the thinner it is. Most of the stuff I use for outdoor use is rated at 7 years.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #114
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
So it costs more to put the stripes on before the clear coat? How does that work?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #115
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Are there any drawbacks to having vinyl stripes put on BEFORE the clear coat? I don't think the factory would do this, but does anyone know why? Wouldn't that keep the nicks and scratched off the vinyl, help keep the vinyl from peeling up on the edges, and produce a glossy painted look like the rest of the car that people like? (Matte black stripe people are an exception)
Fundamental problem - 2 different materials expand and contract to temperature changes at different times. Imagine what will happen when you have paint on the bottom, vinyl in the middle and paint on the top. You're asking for trouble.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #116
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Never had stripes on a car before. How durable are they? I'd be worried that they would begin to come off after several washings. Or maybe when you have alot of ice and salt.
I have a '97 30th anniversary SS with 75,000 miles. This is the special edition white car that came with vinyl orange stripes. I am happy to tell everyone that aside from some fading in the color, the stripes are still in good condition. Now the car has seen limited snow and salt but it still has seen some bad weather.

Come to think of it, my '81 Z/28 still has it's original factory stripes (you know how much vinyl is on these cars) and they are still presentable after 25 years!

As long as it's 3M quality, I willl not be worried.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #117
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
buy it with the vinyl. if you take care of it it will last for years then when they wear out get them painted on.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #118
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Quote:
So it costs more to put the stripes on before the clear coat? How does that work?
I'm talking about on the assembly line. They would have to interrupt the painting process to apply decals and then only for certain cars.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Old 10-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #119
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Fundamental problem - 2 different materials expand and contract to temperature changes at different times. Imagine what will happen when you have paint on the bottom, vinyl in the middle and paint on the top. You're asking for trouble.
Its not a problem.....its done all the time.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #120
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I've been looking into what it would cost to get the stripes painted and Mustang owners are usually paying between $800 and $1500 to get it done. The ones paying less are the ones that are only getting stripes on the hood and trunk lids (no bumper/roof) because those two panels can be removed from the car completely and painted then fully cleared without needing to mask the entire car.

I don't particularly care for the close-up look of the vinyl being used today. 5-10 feet away, it's fine. Up close, it looks kind of cheap. I'm also not concerned about trade-in or collectability down the road since this Camaro will be kept in the family for years.

I'm thinking that I may go with painted stripes from the dealer before taking delivery so it's done before my car leaves the lot. I'm pretty sure that I'm going with Red Jewel as my main color and I'll pull in the Black Granite from the Malibu for the rally stripes.

I want the rally stripes on the hood to be similar to the 'vert concept because they taper around the hood bulge instead of just being one width front to back. But I want the trunk stripes to be like Bumblebee's, in that they are aligned with the outer edges of the trunk lid near the rear window.

rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #121
Beau Tie

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
Personally, I can't fathom after market accessories or decal/paint. I have some sort of OEM fetish, as well as a clean paint job fetish. Granted, the striping does it give that extra retro appearance, that "matchbox" look that many enjoy.

Not my cup of tea, but I look forward to other camaro owners out on the road with these. I think paint is the best option, professionally of course.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #122
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Does anyone know if the pinstripes around the rally stripes are painted on or are they vinyl too?
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #123
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Does anyone know if the pinstripes around the rally stripes are painted on or are they vinyl too?
Nothing that is dealer installed is painted on so no they are vinyl.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #124
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Nothing that is dealer installed is painted on so no they are vinyl.
Crap. Waxing or doing anything on the paint between the rally stripes and pinstripes are going to be a pain.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #125
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
I have a '97 30th anniversary SS with 75,000 miles. This is the special edition white car that came with vinyl orange stripes. I am happy to tell everyone that aside from some fading in the color, the stripes are still in good condition. Now the car has seen limited snow and salt but it still has seen some bad weather.

Come to think of it, my '81 Z/28 still has it's original factory stripes (you know how much vinyl is on these cars) and they are still presentable after 25 years!

As long as it's 3M quality, I willl not be worried.
Agreed. ")
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #126
thejbyrd

Drives: My wife nuts with my obsession
so.. what exactly happens to the vinyl if wax gets on it?(never had vinyl.)
thejbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote