Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
AIA_GTO

Drives: 2004 Black w/Red Pontiac GTO
First no blue SS now this! Looks like my dreams for a blue w/ black striped SS convertible are years away again! Just going to have to settle for the coupe now. Although, that's not a bad thing to settle with, am i right!
AIA_GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #16
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
welcome. to the site!!! This is pretty disappointing, but not surprising with the recent statements coming out of Detroit... :(
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #17
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I've been hearing that GM could file bankruptcy as soon as December, which is tragically thrre months too early, even for Camaro coupe... My fingers are crossed though, let's hope GM can pull through

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #18
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
Even if they do file bankruptcy it doesn't mean the end of GM or the scheduled Camaro. It just gives them leeway to satisfy/reorganize their debt and restructure the company. It isn't the beginning of the end necessarily.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
cactus_man

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Close call

As the postponement of the conv. shows, I don't think we realize how close we came to loseing the Camaro. It was the last GM product to be approved for final production, only because it would have cost more to scrap than to keep pressing forward and the enormous PR hit that it would have taken scrapping such a attintion grabbing car. We should all feel very lucky, and still hold our breath that there is a company to make it. I don't doubt that GM wills survive, but I have no idea how it will pull it off!
cactus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
There could be a silver lining to this cloud. Think about it....it the convertible will not be coming up in the next year or two to "freshen up" the line....maybe you will see a Z28 sooner.

Its a lot cheaper to retool for switching to an optional engine and a few suspension parts than it is to retool for all the different/top/interior/body components that would require crash test certification as well as big design and production costs.

Hmmmm.....

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #21
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
As I've stated previously yesterday, everyone should go outside and look at all of the cars on the road. How many of them are convertibles? That's right—not enough for GM to make it their number one priority. Would you rather have a 2010 Camaro convertible or a company, GM, that can make your convertible years from now? I think GM wants to stay alive more than it wants to make a convertible for a couple of months and go bankrupt.
QFT!!!

In a small town of about 5,000 you can count the amount of convert's I see in a day on one hand.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #22
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Good thing my hartops on order already
D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #23
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Scott????? is this true?

I thought the announcment said from the beginning that the convertible would be 6 months to a year after the coupe debuted....

Go open any newspaper or listen to any news telecast...........

We MUST preserve a product lineup that includes many new products -- and you MUST invest the few dollars that you have on volume products that replenish the bank account.

The convertible is NOT cancelled, but it is most likely going to be delayed. Note I said "MOST LIKELY".......
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #24
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We MUST preserve a product lineup that includes many new products -- and you MUST invest the few dollars that you have on volume products that replenish the bank account.
I hope the head GM guys feel the same way, and act on this - soon! Hopefully GM will discontinue some of its SUV models, there are just too many, some that are nearly identical. For sake of example, say the Cruze would sell more than the Camaro vert. Then the Cruze should be put onto the market first, even if it means vert delays. Yeah I suppose it is easy for me, a coupe guy, to say that, but sometimes if you want your car you have to make sure the company that produces it will last that long. Again, just for example, if GM needs money to fund vert production, it could place the Cruze in front of it and use those profits to produce it.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #25
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus95 View Post
This will actually work out good for me. Now I can keep my new SS for a couple years and then get the convertible once it comes out in 2012. GM just got me to buy 2 new Camaro's instead of one !

I say the same. I got five years to pay back my 401K loan I got for this Camaro and if the convertible is delayed than it's a better chance for me to be able to get the convertible.

Guys and Gals, if you are really a Camaro fan, go out and get one now. Help GM stay in business and once GM is capable of offering the convertible both GM and the economy should be stable to get the convertible.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #26
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIA_GTO View Post
First no blue SS now this! Looks like my dreams for a blue w/ black striped SS convertible are years away again! Just going to have to settle for the coupe now. Although, that's not a bad thing to settle with, am i right!
Breath easy friend (well, easier anyway), the blue SS is coming, just a lil later: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9304
Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #27
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
I've been hearing that GM could file bankruptcy as soon as December, which is tragically thrre months too early, even for Camaro coupe... My fingers are crossed though, let's hope GM can pull through
Maybe I should go get me a Corvette. I pray GM doesn't go under but can you imagine how collectible a Corvette from GM's Last year would be. IN some countries, GM and USA are interchangeable.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #28
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Yeah. don't wait for the convertible, go out and buy an SS