Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
MCnary2010ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss2
how to get the most hp for your buck

now i have been looking into big power upgrades for my ss2 and im torn between buiilding a stroker or doing the heads and cams and supercharging it they both cost the same for the power i want out of the motor but i dont have very much experance in the matter of gas engines can some one help me deside on what would be the best way to go. oh and im looking for around 650hp at the rear wheels but still beable to drive i across canada with no issues
MCnary2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
MCnary2010ss, do you have or know of any reputable builders/turners in your area that you are going to be using? if so, what I would suggest would be to make an appointment with them to sit down and discuss you build in detail.....down to the point as to how you intend to use your car from a reliability stand point and what you expect to get out of it powerwise.

oh and .....ignor the post above........he's just kidding with ya.......LOL

AND CONGRATS on the new ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
MCnary2010ss

i have talked to a bunch of different builders and i am a mechanic my self and i bit of a gear head so im going to be building it myself short of the machining side of things but i figured i would see if anyone had any ideas and advise for me int which way to go i have always loved the sound of a stroker and all the roads that i will be driving on are tight and full of hard corners so with a stroker i won't be sitting at a steady rpm all the time. im looking for power coming out of the corners and i know superchargers have boost all the time and there is no lag but the power is differnent with a forced induction motor compared to a stroker
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
MCnary2010ss

and on top of that once the motor is stroked if that power isn't enough to make you happy you can supercharge it after dont you agree. With out having to change much besides you compression
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
MCnary2010ss

oh and for you i did get the borla cat back exhaust system and where i live from the drivers door forward you can't get any more then a 5% tint but the back widows are limo inted
Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCnary2010ss View Post
and on top of that once the motor is stroked if that power isn't enough to make you happy you can supercharge it after dont you agree. With out having to change much besides you compression
Careful with that.

When you get into high hp, big stroke motors, you don't just change the CR and slap a supercharger on it.

Piston ring types, dome/dish pistons, fuel system, etc all have to be properly incorporated before you make the switch.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCnary2010ss View Post
i have talked to a bunch of different builders and i am a mechanic my self and i bit of a gear head so im going to be building it myself short of the machining side of things but i figured i would see if anyone had any ideas and advise for me int which way to go i have always loved the sound of a stroker and all the roads that i will be driving on are tight and full of hard corners so with a stroker i won't be sitting at a steady rpm all the time. im looking for power coming out of the corners and i know superchargers have boost all the time and there is no lag but the power is differnent with a forced induction motor compared to a stroker
well thats cool......doing all the work youself.....once upon I've done the same thing.

Still, just to get you the best bang for your buck, and get you where you want to go with yopur build.....I'd still; talk to the builders/tuners you know to get their professional opinions. Thats all.....after all, its their business.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
MCnary2010ss

what do you mean properly incorperated the fuel system that im going to use will be capable of up to 1000hp and air system the same but this is kinda the reason that i started this post to get input from the guys that have been there and done that you know what i mean i have talked to all the big players wth the gen 5 camaros and they havent really delt with the stroking side of it but more or less just supercharging and turboing the ls3 and the l99 so like i sade before im putting out my feelers to find some knowledge on the matter
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
MCnary2010ss

i understand that you cant stroke a motor and then down the road slap a supercharger on it and expect it not to sh*t it pants. the fuel and air system that im going to be using will be able to handle up to 1000hp and this is why i posted this thread to get some input into my project from the guys out there that are building there own cars and not just trying o sell my something that isnt quite what i want to get out of my car you know?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Coltrane
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
OP, if you're too damn lazy to write a coherent post then I'm too damn lazy to read any of it.
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
MCnary2010ss

?????
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Spell check, my friend. While it doesn't bother me, you will get grammar Nazi's in here flaming you for it and taking away from the topic of your thread.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
MCnary2010ss

ok thanks i didnt know that people were that consered about spelling