Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
mcapple

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
v6 misfire, should I go to arbitration or court?

Back in Nov 2011. My 2LT camaro got misfire. The car has no aftermarket parts.I keep using top tier gas from ESSO all the time. Error code is P0301 every time. The dealership changed all spark plugs(they are rich fouled, I think it's not normal considering the car only done 16000km) and injector(looks clean) in cylinder 1. I call GM Canada for help. They ask me to go to the dealership again.

Problem not solved. I went to the dealership back and forth about 6 or 7 times. In March 2012, they think the carbon deposit in the intake valve caused the problem and cleaned the intake valve. (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=misfire)

GM also created a bulletin for similar problem (Document ID: 2863222
#PIP5029: Engine Misfires Due To Major Carbon Deposits On The Intake And/Or Exhaust Valves - (May 29, 2012))

Oct 13 2012, I got CEL again and take the car to the dealership on Oct 15. Dealership got the same error code and follow the bulletin to clean the valve.

It has been the 11 times I come to the dealership. The service manager told my he can do nothing about it other than follow the service bulletin. He insists the engine is totally fine because they can't find anything wrong with it.

I had enough. I need a permanent solution for this. Should I go to arbitration or court?

I am in Edmonton Canada. I went to Lakewood Chevy.
mcapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
LVDran

Drives: 2010 V6
There is a thread somewhere on C5 about a guy that had multiple issues with the same car and ended up getting a new car. I think it was an SS though. So you may start looking in those forums. Seems there is a build thread with his new car that links the old one if I remember right. Wish I could be more help. But I will tell you that he documented things (in detail) for like a year before they did anything.

Good luck sir. Sorry to hear about all the troubles.
Vararam | Ceramic BBK LT Headers w/ HFC | Custom MagnaFlow Exhaust | RX Catchcan | Vmax 3/8" Black Ice-O-lator | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Trifecta Tuned | Stop Tech Slotted Rotors | White out Bowties | Black out side grills | Custom Badges | 22" American Racing Daytona | Polk Audio 6" & 6x9" | Kicker 10" with custom box | Alpline 400w 4 Channel | Alpine 500w Mono Channel
LVDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
isn't your car classified a lemon if you've had to take it in so many times and the issue is still not resolved?
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
2 issues, one is the MDI update flash to make it less touchy, and then the carbon deposits are an issue that is always there unless you prevent them from forming by trapping the oil before it is ingested.

Top tier fuels have absolutely no effect with the DI motors as no fuel mixture passes the intake valves to help prevent the deposits from forming like a traditional port injection engine does. The only way to prevent them from forming is to install a properly functioning oil separating catchcan and drain it every oil change. There is no other solution and this is an issue with all DI motors domestic or foriegn. Do a search here on "catchcans" to read more in detail.

Also, all engines are migrating to direct injection for the superior power & efficiency so this will just become a bigger issue in the future.

Also, I doubt they cleaned the vlave in question as they would have had to remove the cylinder head to do so and all intake valves would be looking like this:

This picture shows a traditional port injection port and intake valves...see how the top tier fuels can keep the deposits from forming?

And here is a DI motor:

The prevention is simple though.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
mcapple

Thanks,

I told the dealership about the catch can. They told me it could void the warranty. So I haven't put it on
Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
mcapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
2 issues, one is the MDI update flash to make it less touchy, and then the carbon deposits are an issue that is always there unless you prevent them from forming by trapping the oil before it is ingested.

Top tier fuels have absolutely no effect with the DI motors as no fuel mixture passes the intake valves to help prevent the deposits from forming like a traditional port injection engine does. The only way to prevent them from forming is to install a properly functioning oil separating catchcan and drain it every oil change. There is no other solution and this is an issue with all DI motors domestic or foriegn. Do a search here on "catchcans" to read more in detail.

Also, all engines are migrating to direct injection for the superior power & efficiency so this will just become a bigger issue in the future.

Also, I doubt they cleaned the vlave in question as they would have had to remove the cylinder head to do so and all intake valves would be looking like this:

This picture shows a traditional port injection port and intake valves...see how the top tier fuels can keep the deposits from forming?

And here is a DI motor:

The prevention is simple though.

what is MDI update flash my friend?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcapple View Post
what is MDI update flash my friend?
It's a update to our ECU from GM to help with the misfire in the cylinders. If you don't have this done yet take it in and have it checked to make sure you have it loaded. Most dealers are clueless on these cars. Just like they don't even know how to program our radios with the proper updates lol!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
BNB
Rollin' The Lunchbox

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey
For 2010(11) or does it apply to 12 also?
BNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
mcapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
It's a update to our ECU from GM to help with the misfire in the cylinders. If you don't have this done yet take it in and have it checked to make sure you have it loaded. Most dealers are clueless on these cars. Just like they don't even know how to program our radios with the proper updates lol!
I only get a recall about in July 2011. They reprogram the A/C. My car is manual, I think the update only apply to auto. Please correct me if I was wrong.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Thanks,

I told the dealership about the catch can. They told me it could void the warranty. So I haven't put it on
what. the. f*ck?

that's
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
They would have to be able to proove the catch can damaged something & it can only prevent damage. I'd be more worried about protecting my engine (although it may be a bit late for that now?) than their warranty threat. If they would truly try to void your powertrain warranty for adding a catch can, time to look for another dealership to deal with. IMHO.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
I don't know what the lemon law in Canada is or if it exists. But after 3 times with the same problem within a certain time frame qualifies in the USA I believe. In the very back of your manual is a procedure to follow if you have a problem with your vehicle. Follow it to the letter and you will be fine. It will take time but you will come out OK if you follow the procedure in the back of the owners manual. Good Luck. Let us know what happens.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
mcapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie RS View Post
I don't know what the lemon law in Canada is or if it exists. But after 3 times with the same problem within a certain time frame qualifies in the USA I believe. In the very back of your manual is a procedure to follow if you have a problem with your vehicle. Follow it to the letter and you will be fine. It will take time but you will come out OK if you follow the procedure in the back of the owners manual. Good Luck. Let us know what happens.
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
I only get a recall about in July 2011. They reprogram the A/C. My car is manual, I think the update only apply to auto. Please correct me if I was wrong.
I never remember seeing that the update was for A6's only. PM Matt from RX and send him your Vin# he will tell you what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk