Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #99
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
i see. it makes sense, its the force keeping the bubble pushed back and holding it there, not like the mustang that is just flat. but if that vent had the intake there. dang...
Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #100
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I don't want to host an image, but...I don't see how a functional vent could decrease aerodynamics escpecially in the Camaro... The reason I say this because with cowl induction alone, the lower pressure will suck air in from the the windsheild thats flowing over the car, Instead with the functional vent, the air will just flow through the front and be pushed out of the cowl, smoothly flowing over the windsheild and past the car....thats just my theory lol
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #101
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
I don't want to host an image, but...I don't see how a functional vent could decrease aerodynamics escpecially in the Camaro... The reason I say this because with cowl induction alone, the lower pressure will suck air in from the the windsheild thats flowing over the car, Instead with the functional vent, the air will just flow through the front and be pushed out of the cowl, smoothly flowing over the windsheild and past the car....thats just my theory lol
you speak the truth
Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #102
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
The idea of a vent being "functional is that the vent plugs right into the Air intake. So the air can enter the engine without all the heat from the engine compartment. But The Cowl does the same thing. So to have em both be truly functional is a bit redundant. I was hoping the cowl hood would be for looks and the hood vent would be for air intake.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:28 AM   #103
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
But as you said, the point of a cowl is to draw air in not blow it out. By having a 'flow through' design you could degrade or eliminate the performance effects of a cowl induction hood. also, engines aren't the smoothest of surfaces, even with the nifty covers that they now have. lots of little bumps and valleys to create drag. How much? I have no clue, but enough to be undesireable I bet. I'm not an expert on any of this stuff so don't treat it as gospel.

Tell ya what, if camero or Fbodfather gives me the CAD files of the Camaro, I can try a simulation and see what happens. You guys use UGS at GM for that stuff don't you? If not I also have SolidEdge and SolidWorks availible (I love this school!). Now, the model would have to include the engines you use, as well as the design of the entire front end, such as headlights. In fact, just put everything you have onto a disc and send it to me. No? I promise I won't tell anyone what those features are, its just for doing a little simulation. Still no? damm, it was worth a shot!
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 02-27-2008 at 12:52 AM.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #104
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Errr, I don't completely agree with you, but we'll leave it at that...Leading me to the next question though...Is the cowl functional? Hahaha, new questions.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #105
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Errr, I don't completely agree with you, but we'll leave it at that...Leading me to the next question though...Is the cowl functional? Hahaha, new questions.
Thats fine, you have at least as good of a chance at being right as I do. Half that post was an attempt to get CAD files. And I only had 1 course in fluid mechanics, that was 2 years ago, and none of it was as complex as car aerodynamics. Done nothing with that stuff since so I only remember the basics. Oh, and I have no clue about on the functionality of the cowl
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #106
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

HAha, its all good, Im pre-med and we only had to take an intermediate physics class so your guess is as good as mine.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 AM   #107
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Looken Good...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 AM   #108
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
The idea of a vent being "functional is that the vent plugs right into the Air intake. So the air can enter the engine without all the heat from the engine compartment. But The Cowl does the same thing. So to have em both be truly functional is a bit redundant. I was hoping the cowl hood would be for looks and the hood vent would be for air intake.
Yeah we almost left the front vent off the showcar for that very reason... it really makes no sense, but it just looked so cool it stayed on! Then the same thing with the cowl vent (I didn't even think anyone would notice it though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
...Tell ya what, if camero or Fbodfather gives me the CAD files of the Camaro, I can try a simulation and see what happens. You guys use UGS at GM for that stuff don't you? If not I also have SolidEdge and SolidWorks availible (I love this school!). Now, the model would have to include the engines you use, as well as the design of the entire front end, such as headlights. In fact, just put everything you have onto a disc and send it to me. No? I promise I won't tell anyone what those features are, its just for doing a little simulation. Still no? damm, it was worth a shot!
Actually there has been pretty much that very disc sitting on my desk for the past couple weeks. You've reminded me to get it to the shredder today! Thanks!
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #109
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
it's my understanding that in order to have a cowl hood actually work you have to have a force of air pushing into the cowl hood scoop.

looking at the windshield in the pics...

(and i know this to be true of all the 4th gens, its been discussed to death...trust me.)

...i would think that the windshield is too slanted to create the proper airflow to make a cowl hood functional.

just something to think about...
Old 02-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #110
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
Yeah we almost left the front vent off the showcar for that very reason... it really makes no sense, but it just looked so cool it stayed on! Then the same thing with the cowl vent (I didn't even think anyone would notice it though)....

So, then can we assume that neither is truly "functional"...

If your answer is y..yyy..ye.yee..ee.e..ssss :whew: Then expect your answer to be drowned out with random noise as before.....

Regarding hood vents... If I'm not mistaken weren't the hood vents added to the production corvettes so the race cars could then have them be truly functional without breaking the rules??? Is that part of the reason why the camaro will have them... That and of couse because the Camaro"s will be functional...

Ignorance is bliss. And if that doesn't work, denial is too.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #111
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Well here are some pic of the Vettes, You can see in the first one that the Air intake ducting is routed to the lower front right valance...

With that huge intake on the top of the hood, I don't see what that little hood vent between the headlights would be good for.... On the Vette.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #112
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
The way I understood it, air doesn't actually go into a cowl hood. Air hitting the base of the windshield creates an area of cold low pressure right in front of the cowl opening. This allows heat from the engine compartment to easily escape. So it's more of a vent than an air intake and simply having it cutout would make it functional. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote