Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
jayC1974

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss aqua blue
Whats it mean when people say tune?

Ok I own a ABM camaro 1ss. I’m looking into getting headers and a cat back exhaust put on. Searching threw this site at different set ups I keep running in to people saying things like this when talking about different set ups on there car. “I have CAM, Headers, and a Tune" Now what are they referring too when they say they have a tune? I’m not very car literate so this just goes over my head. I don't no if they are talking about one of the computer programmers for there car or if they took it somewhere and had there car tuned to the set up of there car. Can someone explain please, I really would appreciate it.

Thanks
jayC1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC1974 View Post
Ok I own a ABM camaro 1ss. I’m looking into getting headers and a cat back exhaust put on. Searching threw this site at different set ups I keep running in to people saying things like this when talking about different set ups on there car. “I have CAM, Headers, and a Tune" Now what are they referring too when they say they have a tune? I’m not very car literate so this just goes over my head. I don't no if they are talking about one of the computer programmers for there car or if they took it somewhere and had there car tuned to the set up of there car. Can someone explain please, I really would appreciate it.

Thanks
Either or.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
jayC1974

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss aqua blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Either or.
So what do they do when you take it in to have it tuned? Who do you take it too?
jayC1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
As was stated in the first response, it can mean either. However, having a custom tune performed by a competent professional will always yield much better results than an off the shelf tuner can offer.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 03-04-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
HadMatter

Drives: Rally Yellow RS/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC1974 View Post

Thanks
It really can mean both. There are handheld programmers that can be used to adjust (or the programmer is self learning and adjusts itself) the ECM for better performance, this can be called a tune and is *usually* what people are referring to. Then there are performance shops which will adjust the engine for you professionally, sometimes even with the same tuner, this is also a tune.

As far as I'm aware it comes from earlier days when engines had no computer module and were tuned by hand adjusting the carborator, timing, and so forth for better performance.
HadMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I have a local dealer offering me a Dyno Tune on my v6. He's never done a v6 before, so this will be the first time. Its going to run me $325, so is that worth it, or should I run with an off the shelf?

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
just remember that a tune will generally void your warranty on the engine. there are lots of topics on here about it so search around a bit for more info.
Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Kwik

Drives: car
If you do a tune with the Diablo Predator, it stores the stock tune. When you take the car to a dealer, pop the stock tune back in and nobody is the wiser. Some dealers can also download custom parameters into the Predator as you add more mods to your car.
Kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Class1E

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
If you do a tune with the Diablo Predator, it stores the stock tune. When you take the car to a dealer, pop the stock tune back in and nobody is the wiser. Some dealers can also download custom parameters into the Predator as you add more mods to your car.
There have been many instances of people saying that is not the case anymore. I think it's something about the ECM knowing how many times it has been tuned. Thus, if you tune the car and then flash it back to stock, it would increment that count twice, and the dealer and GM will know you have tuned the car.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
No free lunch. When a "tuner" tells you that you can commit fraud if you use their tune....................keep that in mind.

Your powertrain warranty will be voided and GM can tell. No matter how good an aftermarket tuner thinks he is...............his job is to sell you a tune. The people at GM creating the ECU? Their job is to protect against $$$$ in fraudulent warranty claims.

So as most of the guys post, "you got to pay to play". If you want a tune that removes the torque management such that the car launches harder you are putting much higher stresses on the powertrain than it was engineered for. And you should be prepared to pay for the damage you caused.

Keep in mind, I have a GMPP tune on my Sky. But that tune was developed by and sold by GM. So that maintains the warranty.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I have a local dealer offering me a Dyno Tune on my v6. He's never done a v6 before, so this will be the first time. Its going to run me $325, so is that worth it, or should I run with an off the shelf?
I'd take him up on the offer. It will cost you a minimum of that price to buy a handheld. More reputable ones are even hundreds more. If he's a professional, then use him.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
If you haven't done any mods, it won't help you any.
The v6 is tuned exceptionally well from the factory.
So far only 1 tuner has been able to successfully tune a V6.
I don't think I'd trust that your dealer can do a tune on the V6 yet, especially since he's told you he's never done one. The only ones that has been done so far have only yeilded results on cars that have aftermarket CAI's and exhausts. The only difference he might be able to make is with a tune on the transmission. That's they only thing slowing the Automatic V6 down.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
If you haven't done any mods, it won't help you any.
The v6 is tuned exceptionally well from the factory.
So far only 1 tuner has been able to successfully tune a V6.
I don't think I'd trust that your dealer can do a tune on the V6 yet, especially since he's told you he's never done one. The only ones that has been done so far have only yeilded results on cars that have aftermarket CAI's and exhausts. The only difference he might be able to make is with a tune on the transmission. That's they only thing slowing the Automatic V6 down.
The tune is my last mod. My goal is to have atleast the Headers and Exhaust on by the end of the month. Then maybe the intake by next month. After that I am looking to do the tune.

Right now I am deciding between the dealer dyno tune and trifecta.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #14
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
No free lunch. When a "tuner" tells you that you can commit fraud if you use their tune....................keep that in mind.

Your powertrain warranty will be voided and GM can tell. No matter how good an aftermarket tuner thinks he is...............his job is to sell you a tune. The people at GM creating the ECU? Their job is to protect against $$$$ in fraudulent warranty claims.

So as most of the guys post, "you got to pay to play". If you want a tune that removes the torque management such that the car launches harder you are putting much higher stresses on the powertrain than it was engineered for. And you should be prepared to pay for the damage you caused.

Keep in mind, I have a GMPP tune on my Sky. But that tune was developed by and sold by GM. So that maintains the warranty.
not trying to argue just trying to get more info. I understand what you are saying about GM knowing if you changed the tune.
I know this tuner that is known all over the world. I will not mention who it is. A while back when anyone would ask him if he could put a tune in a car without GM knowing he said "NO" it was imposible. Now he says he has cracked the code and can copy the "meter" of the previous tune. can't remember exectly what he called it. So what he says if the the ECM has been flashed X times he can copy that number so after he tunes your car and you put the stock tune back in it will have the origanal number in it. I hope what I am trying to say makes sense.
Mark

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote