Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
A shammy? The things that get stiff when dry?

If so I would be careful using one those things aren't that soft...

I think so, it's always a little damp in the container.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
I think so, it's always a little damp in the container.
Probably creating lots of swirls from using that by dragging it across the paint. And I'm not sure how you would clean it from repeated uses like you can with other materials.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #17
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Probably creating lots of swirls from using that by dragging it across the paint. And I'm not sure how you would clean it from repeated uses like you can with other materials.
Well see this is the problem with shammies and things like that.

They drink water and do an EXCELLENT job of removing water and no one can argue with that. The thing that sets it light years behind microfiber is it's lack of fibers period. For example if you run across a little spec of anything abrasive on your paint with anything made of microfiber the towel will pick the spec up keeping it away from your paint. With a shammy the towel will NOT pick the particulate up and will run it the length of the swipe. Therefore scratching the paint. Not to mention any quality microfiber is going to be softer period so obviously just by that it would make it significantly safer to use.

This is just my personal opinion 45th you have some beautiful carbon metallic paint on that car and it would buy a high quality drying towel to dry with. I've seen people but WAY more scratches on their car when drying than they ever would have washing.

Again this is just my opinion, but I think many people share this opinion.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #18
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by haynes View Post
I blow my camaro off with the leaf lower first. It gets the majority of the water off especially out of the cracks so no drips later.
This then follow up with the Dry Me Crazy and a fine mist of detail spray for the remaining droplets.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #19
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2ssblack View Post
I'll throw in a vote for the avalanche drying towel from the rag company. It's literally the size of a bath towel, very soft and plush, and vacuums water up easily.

It's priced at $18.95 which is cheap considering it's size and quality.

http://www.theragcompany.com/26-x-48...012-2648-W.htm
I actually like this towel a lot for my production washes and the dry me crazy for the finer jobs.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:05 AM   #20
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
Well see this is the problem with shammies and things like that.

They drink water and do an EXCELLENT job of removing water and no one can argue with that. The thing that sets it light years behind microfiber is it's lack of fibers period. For example if you run across a little spec of anything abrasive on your paint with anything made of microfiber the towel will pick the spec up keeping it away from your paint. With a shammy the towel will NOT pick the particulate up and will run it the length of the swipe. Therefore scratching the paint. Not to mention any quality microfiber is going to be softer period so obviously just by that it would make it significantly safer to use.

This is just my personal opinion 45th you have some beautiful carbon metallic paint on that car and it would buy a high quality drying towel to dry with. I've seen people but WAY more scratches on their car when drying than they ever would have washing.

Again this is just my opinion, but I think many people share this opinion.

Thanks for everyone's opinion, that's why the forum exists, to express your opinion and inform the ill informed. I've probably used it maybe twice. I mostly use that waffle weave microfiber towel to dry. It works well.

A little background info: I live in a apartment complex where we are not allowed to use the hose to wash our cars. So I'm stuck with filling a bucket up and doing it like that. I use optimum no rinse car wash and shine and it does work well. It's not the ideal situation but it will have to do. Also, my car is not a DD. It sits in the garage under a car cover, which is under a tarp.

In between "washes" I try to keep up with it using a zaino detail spray which also works very well. One of these days when I finally get into a house I'm looking to having a nice setup for my garage (I would love a lift as well).

I have some credit to amazon, I will have to start looking into the dry me crazy towel or something else that was suggested.

That shammy was pretty much an impulse buy with amazon points. I test out different stuff from time to time.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote