Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Dalton22

Drives: 2011 VR 2SS/RS M6. 2000 lifted Z71
Factory New Car Smell

I have searched the forum and haven't found much on the factory new car smell. I was wondering if their is a way to order from GM the smell they put in cars. I like to keep my car looking, and feeling new in every way. I have had my car 6 months and can still smell the new car smell and I would like to maintain it. I know they sell a lot of bs products at wal-mart and autozone, etc. that are "new car smell" but I want the smell from the factory. And I really don't think a car comes smelling like that out of the manufacturer, they have to put something in the car, to get our senses going of that "new car" and end up leaving the dealership with it. ha
Dalton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Yeah those products from those stores are bs from what i hear...as for what I recommend Adams is the way to go, great products you can't go wrong and btw as much as i love the new car smell in my civic the chemicals produced to make the smell is actually bad to ingest hope that helps
Old 08-17-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton22 View Post
I have searched the forum and haven't found much on the factory new car smell. I was wondering if their is a way to order from GM the smell they put in cars. I like to keep my car looking, and feeling new in every way. I have had my car 6 months and can still smell the new car smell and I would like to maintain it. I know they sell a lot of bs products at wal-mart and autozone, etc. that are "new car smell" but I want the smell from the factory. And I really don't think a car comes smelling like that out of the manufacturer, they have to put something in the car, to get our senses going of that "new car" and end up leaving the dealership with it. ha
They don't "put the smell in there". It's a combination of plastic, leather, carpet, etc. All of those give off a certain odor for a while when they are new. In cars, however, the odor lasts longer because of being enclosed.
REDXIIIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
For that fresh leather smell....... add fresh leather...

Go to a leather store and buy some leather scrap by the pound. You can also find it at Hobby Lobby...... put the scraps of various pieces in a fish net type bag, or a onion type bag, and place a few under your seats..... keep that fresh leather scent...

^^^^^
a ancient detailers trick of the trade.....

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
The "new car smell" hasn't actually been around since the mid 1980's. The new car smell as they called it came from the glue that was used to hold interior panels together. What people were smelling was the odor of the glue as it "set" in. They stopped using glue on the interior of cars in the mid 1980's ish due to health reasons.

I use Adam's interior and leather cleaner and then follow that up with some leather conditioner and my car still smells like it did the day I drove her off the lot.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Sarah

Drives: Camaro LLT ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMT View Post
For that fresh leather smell....... add fresh leather...

Go to a leather store and buy some leather scrap by the pound. You can also find it at Hobby Lobby...... put the scraps of various pieces in a fish net type bag, or a onion type bag, and place a few under your seats..... keep that fresh leather scent...

^^^^^
a ancient detailers trick of the trade.....

I like that idea. Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I've never been able to find an air freshener that accurately captures that smell... and boy do I love it! The combination of new leather, plastic, and all those curing agents, plasticizers, formaldehyde etc.

FWIW though... its actually mildly toxic:

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
In order to preserve the smell for as long as possible you should keep the car pristine and clean. Do not eat or drink inside either. Don't drive it if you're really dirty/sweaty. And lastly, use a top-notch leather cleaner and conditioner. I've had my car for 11 months and it still smells new. I use Zaino Z10 and the rich new leather smell is amazing.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_go_bills View Post
In order to preserve the smell for as long as possible you should keep the car pristine and clean. Do not eat or drink inside either. Don't drive it if you're really dirty/sweaty. And lastly, use a top-notch leather cleaner and conditioner. I've had my car for 11 months and it still smells new. I use Zaino Z10 and the rich new leather smell is amazing.
I've had my car since 7/30/2009 , and every time Someone gets in my car they say "damn Drew , it still smells brand new" . Zaino's Z10 leather in a bottle smells like a tannery , I love it.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Fishdadddy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ; 1970 Firebird Formula
Mine still smells like brand new inside. 20 months old 1,450 miles
Fishdadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
I've had my car since 7/30/2009 , and every time Someone gets in my car they say "damn Drew , it still smells brand new" . Zaino's Z10 leather in a bottle smells like a tannery , I love it.
It's truly amazing stuff. Such a natural leather smell. Amazing, just amazing. I love it.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
lol.......
That 'new car smell' you inhale is basically the volatilization of chemicals that come off of leather, plastic and carpeting. Probably not the best thing to inhale but I love it. The only way to get that smell back truly is to have the whole interior of your car redone.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #13
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
I bought some Zaino Z10, and I thought it was the best as far as Leather scent was concerned. That is until I discovered the Leather Doctors "Leather Scent B"...

Trust me when I say this friends, Leather Scent B blows Z10 out of the water.

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
It's strange how the odor of a product makes us feel so great about it.

FWIW: My Top 3 Products that work awesome and smell great are:

Adam's Detail Spray ( I say it's cherry, some say it's bubble gum...dunno for sure)
Meguiar's Interior Quick Detailer (Can't really pinpoint this one, still working on it)
Meguiar's Endurance Tire Spray (Grape, like the gum that you want to swallow)
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote