Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #15
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
Trust me, any young Sailor is going to think they are indestructable and is immune to death/injuries. His intrest rate was probably beyond 22% but the crappy dealership sold it to him. No matter what, this trend is not going to change. We can do all the preventions but in the end, innocent people and offender(s) are going to destroy lives. I try/explain it to my junior people and in the end they are thinking what the hell does this old guy know. If their leaders act reckless, they're going to act reckless.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Well, this was all over the news so hopefully some of the youngsters watched it and will think twice before attempting it as well. I can only imagine how many commands will be doing a Safety Stand Down.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
either he lost control or tried to get off on the 94E exit at the last second. For you Squidly's in here, just remember, if you are in an accident and you are at fault and reckless. The Navy has the right not to pay for your medical bills or payout your SGLI (in the event you were killed in the accident). Accidents like this are always the topics to go over at safety briefs. Mainly aimed at young Sailors or Service Members returning from delpoyments. I can guarentee that the Navy will not pay for the medical bills on this incident and the other Sailor in the car will likely go to Captain's Mast or Court Martial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
absolutely correct! Too bad no one ever heeds warnings. :(
Not quite entirely correct, but close.

His medical bills will more than likely get paid by Tricare, but he will not be getting his TGLI payment for the loss of limbs. The VA CAN, but usually doesn't give benifits to service members who are injured and it deemed "not in the line of duty" after he is separated, which just add's to this misguided 19 year olds problems.

When the driver gets put on limited duty his LODI will come back "Not in the line of Duty" and he can be punished for it, but that rarely happens to sailors, especially on the ASW base. (assuming that is where he is still stationed based on age) An uptight CO could use this incident as a way to show his muscles by bringing him up on charges, but I have only seen that once.

As for the passenger, it would be very easy to stay out of trouble for this "incident" as long as he passes the drug test and was wearing his seatbelt, otherwise, he could be brought up on charges at Captians Mast, or he could request court martial. The command will not send someone there for such a minor offense.

I've had to break the bad news to entirely too many sailors and marines that they are separating from the military with no benefits for stupid crap just like this. It is sad, but brought on entirely by their own inability to control their testosterone.

It's incidents like this that make me glad I'm no longer the one getting dressed up and delivering the bad news to the family members too.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
DAMN
Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
well i am sorry but this guy did do it to himself. i feel sorry for the passenger.

i hope he recovers well and sad to say but i hope the next time he is in the car as the passenger since he has no legs he shits bricks when some one takes a turn.

and for many for now we know he is one less careless and wrekless driver on the road
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #20
DTM
DTMphotography

Drives: 10' Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
WOW... That was a Cobra too.... Sad to see, doesn't look survivable to me. No legs, no driving. Shouldn't endanger people's lives like that, his own included.
Couldn't have said it better, nothing worse than someone with a fast car and no regard for anyone else's lives, I'm glad they didn't take anyone else out with them.....
Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #21
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
that is sad and all, but is his fault and he did it to himself
I agree. It's sad, sad for the mother who has to go through seeing her son lie in a hospital bed, hanging on to life while missing both his legs.

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #22
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Idiot. This is why street racing is illegal.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #23
gabraddock

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Rally Yellow
Is this sailor still alive?
gabraddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
LolatheSlush
I race in heels

Drives: V8 ss black
i know it sounds really mean, but thats what he gets. he didn't think about the other people he could have hurt.. his mother, his friend, innocent people on the freeway. I'm very sorry for his family and i sincerely hopes he makes a fast recovery. Maybe he can use this expirence to teach other young kids the dangers of reckless driving.
LolatheSlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
The Jerk
Here but not really here.

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolatheSlush View Post
i know it sounds really mean, but thats what he gets. he didn't think about the other people he could have hurt.. his mother, his friend, innocent people on the freeway. I'm very sorry for his family and i sincerely hopes he makes a fast recovery. Maybe he can use this expirence to teach other young kids the dangers of reckless driving.
HEY, thats my job to be mean!!

But..on a serious note regarding this..although no one wishes any harm to anyone when they drive their cars but driving reckless like this couldve potentially put other people's lives in danger whether this person was experienced or not.

I understand the rush to race other people in high performance cars but even I know the limit to my stupidity when it comes to driving in public places..if you want to seriously race someone..then take it to a legal track.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #26
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
What a shame and a terrible waste of human life. If he lives, he will relive this 10 minutes of fun he had racing on the freeway - with the thought that he may never drive again for the rest of his life. Fortunately he didn't kill anyone else. My thoughts go out to his mother and family.
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #27
LolatheSlush
I race in heels

Drives: V8 ss black
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
HEY, thats my job to be mean!!

But..on a serious note regarding this..although no one wishes any harm to anyone when they drive their cars but driving reckless like this couldve potentially put other people's lives in danger whether this person was experienced or not.

I understand the rush to race other people in high performance cars but even I know the limit to my stupidity when it comes to driving in public places..if you want to seriously race someone..then take it to a legal track.
lol sorry Jerk, i wasn't aware of the
you may continue your reign
LolatheSlush is offline   Reply With Quote