Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #421
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
My neighbor! I washed and waxed his car for 45 bucks remember? It started to rain so I buffed off the wax really fast and buffed it off again, did a walk around of the truck and buffed it off again. There was NO wax left. But he came over and said you owe me because there are streaks of wax on the whole truck. I call bull crap. Now he wants me to wax the WHOLE truck again to get the wax off. Buddy, your getting a wash, rinse, and a dry. I ain't waxing your whole car for a 5 dollar tip and you complain again. So for pretty much doing him a favor for washing and waxing his jeep and truck for 45 bucks for both of them. He wants to complain even after I KNOW there isn't any wax on that thing. Imagine if I charged him 150 bucks like I should have. He would be complaining so much. Well, guess I learned my lesson. Well the second lesson anyways.

Last edited by AmericanMuscleCars; 06-13-2013 at 01:07 AM.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #422
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Clean his car with a microfiber and some quick detailer and just wax it again shouldnt take more than an hour.

And I know this method will cause swirls but he probably wouldnt know it does anyways.
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #423
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobulls View Post

And I know this method will cause swirls but he probably wouldnt know it does anyways.

Now that's an honest business man. It's guys like you that keep me in business though, so I can't complain.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #424
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobulls View Post
Clean his car with a microfiber and some quick detailer and just wax it again shouldnt take more than an hour.

Unbelievable. Actually, I believe it.

Just wax the car again. In this business, reputation is everything. Its not worth it to have him go badmouth you to everyone over a wax job that should take you an hour.

Always always always go over the car with the customer when they pick it up. Make sure they're happy then, so you don't have this problem later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #425
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Advice from experts! I'm looking to detail my car, my problem is that my car is a DD and with all this rain my car got dirty fast... it's there a way to detail the car in this situation?
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #426
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Been so loyal to the Camaros that I've neglected my DD. It was full of sap from sitting in the driveway all week. Finally rained like hell last night, problem solved.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #427
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Advice from experts! I'm looking to detail my car, my problem is that my car is a DD and with all this rain my car got dirty fast... it's there a way to detail the car in this situation?
There's a difference between a car being dirty and a car that "needs detailing." If you want to savor a full detail, I wouldn't do it in the rainy season. Odds are, when you drive out of the garage you'll run into a shower or wet roads. ... well, at least that's how it is down here.

I'm worried enough about the potential damage from rain water my car might be sustaining right now as it sits at home in this hellish sunlight with the water beads from an early morning shower sitting on its horizontal surfaces.

There's no escaping your car getting dirty when a.) it's summer and b.) it's your daily driver.

I'm presuming you know something of the trade when it comes to detailing since you frequent this board a lot, so if you take care of your car as much as I presume, then the best advice I can give you is to just wash your car once a week as usual and REAAALLY savor it when it's clean.

Rainy season is right up there with winter when it comes to being tough on cars. I dunno how it is up there in PA... I'd imagine summers up there actually enjoyable.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #428
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
There's a difference between a car being dirty and a car that "needs detailing." If you want to savor a full detail, I wouldn't do it in the rainy season. Odds are, when you drive out of the garage you'll run into a shower or wet roads. ... well, at least that's how it is down here.

I'm worried enough about the potential damage from rain water my car might be sustaining right now as it sits at home in this hellish sunlight with the water beads from an early morning shower sitting on its horizontal surfaces.

There's no escaping your car getting dirty when a.) it's summer and b.) it's your daily driver.

I'm presuming you know something of the trade when it comes to detailing since you frequent this board a lot, so if you take care of your car as much as I presume, then the best advice I can give you is to just wash your car once a week as usual and REAAALLY savor it when it's clean.

Rainy season is right up there with winter when it comes to being tough on cars. I dunno how it is up there in PA... I'd imagine summers up there actually enjoyable.
Thanks for the advice but I think you misunderstood my question... I'm going to GM nationals on June 22, under the light I see some areas that need detailing, I only have 1 week to get it looking spotless! But with this storm not helping I have to get this done some way, unfortunately I need the car for work, so ideas? Should a do 1 area at the time? My mayor concern is that I only have one buffing pad orange and 1 white, so I was trying to do all the car in 1 day...
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #429
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Thanks for the advice but I think you misunderstood my question... I'm going to GM nationals on June 22, under the light I see some areas that need detailing, I only have 1 week to get it looking spotless! But with this storm not helping I have to get this done some way, unfortunately I need the car for work, so ideas? Should a do 1 area at the time? My mayor concern is that I only have one buffing pad orange and 1 white, so I was trying to do all the car in 1 day...
Aha, then I did misunderstand. Your post just said you wanted to detail the car, didn't know you were prepping for a show.

Yeah, a couple weeks ago I did my decon and for the wheels (which take around an hour and a half each), I did them day after day, leaving the paint for Sunday. Which took 8 hours alone.

The only way to accommodate a detail during rainy season is to spread it out, IMO. A properly done detail is an all-day project, and unless you start right in the morning (which is crazy because then you'll deal with scorching afternoon heat), there's no way you'll get it done by starting later in the day when the temperature is low, because once nightfall hits and dew starts to form on the car, all bets are off.

Try to think of a way to section out your polishing stages and then the next day, you'll have to wash the car allover again before hitting your next section. It'd be better if you can do one stage at a time (i.e. do your orange pad one day and white pad the next), presuming you're doing a two stage paint correction.

This is all 100% moot if you own a garage, in which case I'd tell you to get down to brass knuckles and get the hell to work. LOL

If you really want the time to do this, I'd rent a cheap car for $30.00 a day like a Nissan Versa and use that, freeing up the Camaro to be detailed.

I wouldn't worry about paint perfection... judging by the "big, special, high-end, super exclusive" show Matt went to and won after what was essentially a quicky waterless wash, I wouldn't say these judges would really care about a stray swirl here or there. In fact, your orange pad will probably finish up well enough for them to be impressed.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #430
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
Aha, then I did misunderstand. Your post just said you wanted to detail the car, didn't know you were prepping for a show.

Yeah, a couple weeks ago I did my decon and for the wheels (which take around an hour and a half each), I did them day after day, leaving the paint for Sunday. Which took 8 hours alone.

The only way to accommodate a detail during rainy season is to spread it out, IMO. A properly done detail is an all-day project, and unless you start right in the morning (which is crazy because then you'll deal with scorching afternoon heat), there's no way you'll get it done by starting later in the day when the temperature is low, because once nightfall hits and dew starts to form on the car, all bets are off.

Try to think of a way to section out your polishing stages and then the next day, you'll have to wash the car allover again before hitting your next section. It'd be better if you can do one stage at a time (i.e. do your orange pad one day and white pad the next), presuming you're doing a two stage paint correction.

This is all 100% moot if you own a garage, in which case I'd tell you to get down to brass knuckles and get the hell to work. LOL

If you really want the time to do this, I'd rent a cheap car for $30.00 a day like a Nissan Versa and use that, freeing up the Camaro to be detailed.

I wouldn't worry about paint perfection... judging by the "big, special, high-end, super exclusive" show Matt went to and won after what was essentially a quicky waterless wash, I wouldn't say these judges would really care about a stray swirl here or there. In fact, your orange pad will probably finish up well enough for them to be impressed.
Thanks again I try that...
Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #431
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
I am just going to wash, rinse and dry his truck. No wax, just getting rid of the "streaks" of wax that didn't exist in the first place.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #432
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:

Wasn't big special, high end, or exclusive..

Wasn't trying to give that impression. I was just ribbing those guys a bit.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #433
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
I don't think car shows for the most part care about light swirls.
Only if your at a detailing show or something like an indoor higher end show.

Don't get me wrong, if a black car comes in nicely cleaned up and waxed but has so many swirls that make his car hazy then the Judges will surely look at that.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #434
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Wasn't big special, high end, or exclusive..

Wasn't trying to give that impression. I was just ribbing those guys a bit.

Yeah, I know I was just being sarcastic. The show you went to is kind of a big one, though, as far as I know.