Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
Introducing NightOwl LED Systems

*** Halo Kits Thread ***

Before I begin, I’d like to express my gratitude to Camaro5.com for creating and bringing together one of the best online communites ever.

THE SHORT STORY
NightOwl LED Systems is about to launch some really exciting lighting controllers and products for your camaro.

THE LONG STORY...

WHO WE ARE
My name is Joe, and I’ve been a camaro5.com member since September 2010, shortly after buying my first camaro. (That line sounds like an AA meeting introduction ) I still maintain a personal account, under the handle 572HP. I have also participated in several threads on helping members: Project Cleaning the Clutter in Our Engine Bay, DIY Change LEDs in Speed/Tach Gauge, DIY Change Radio LEDs, and several other threads. Camaro5.com is where I spend a majority of my online time.

HISTORY
I have an electrical engineering background, and have been working in software engineering for 20 some years. My oldest son is about to turn 17, and is very interested in engineering as well. We started a project together back in August of 2011. We wanted to control some lights on our camaro using our iPhones. So we worked on the project together, and in October of that year, showed off some of our work at Pony Wars where other camaros gathered for a weekend at the drag strip in Valdosta GA (the site of the first Camaro Fest.) We met many great folks and showed off what we could do. Norm and Maria (garcmol) were instant fans, and encouraged us to make it into a product.

CAMARO FEST
We continued to work on the system on and off together until the time school got out in 2012. At that point, we started heavily focusing on it, with a goal to show it off at CamaroFest 3 in Indianapolis. We worked on it over the summer, and had a demo prepared for the fest. We took the car up and had a great time showing it off. We received a lot of great feedback and encouragement to make it into products.

GOALS
Our main goal has been to create the best system available for our cars. Our main interest is to manufacture LED controllers to run our software to control the lights. We don’t really care to resell lights. We don’t care where you buy your lights. We are fans of many vendors on this website as well. A few shout-outs to Jordan and Jeremy at JDP, Tony at SJMAutoProd, Ofer at Gen5Diy, Chase at Apex, and AAC. I’ve worked with all of these people, and hope we’ll be able to work together to create some amazing products.

COMPETITION
We know that there will be cheaper products available. Unfortunately we live in a country that makes it next to impossible to compete in price with products coming from other countries. We cannot compete on price alone. We know this. We feel that we can compete on the features, software, and good ‘ole American engineering. We are going to do our best to keep the costs down so that we can sell to more people.

COMPARISON
The majority of the controllers on the market are single-device controllers. While this may work for simple systems, to be able to get the controllability you would have to use a lot of controllers. Our controllers will control a minimum of 4 devices. Besides having at least 4 times the outputs, our features and controllability won’t be matched. Sure there are other WiFi controllers on the market now, but the word “WiFi” is about the only thing similar.

PRODUCTS
Our website does a good job at explaining our current controller lineup. So I won’t try to explain it here. Instead, please visit our website at: www.NightOwlLEDs.com. The products section explains our initial product lineup.

While we tried to keep our website directed to all car owners, all of our products were designed specifically with the Camaro in mind. For instance, our LP modules will be able to be simply plugged into our ambient lighting connectors inside the door and dash. You won’t need to go fishing for a power source inside the door. You also won’t need to figure out how you are going to turn them on and off. They just work with your car, like a feature that could have come from the factory. When your ambient lighting in the car comes on, so do the controllers and LEDs. When you dim your ambient lighting, the lights in the doors dim. There is no other product out there that can do that. Want to choose the color that fits your mood, or for a special holiday? Just do it.

Another example is for the floorboard lighting. You can tie our controller into the dome circuit. We’ll show you how and provide what you need. When your dome light comes on, so does your floorboard lights. They ramp up and down with the dome light, with the default color that you choose if you have full-colored LEDs.

Only want or have single-colored LEDs? No problem. That will give you 3 times more ports to plug in your lights. Want to mix multi-colored LEDs and single-colored LEDs? No problem.

There are several trend-setting features that will come with every module. One of which is very precise control over individual colors. Do you want a white that matches your driving lights? No problem. While every competing system that we know about uses 256 brightness levels for each color, we give you 4096. That means that you can dial in your perfect white.

One other outstanding feature is the ability to color-correct mutli-colored LEDs. Every multi-colored LED has a different mix of brightnesses for each red, green and blue that makes up the LEDs. When you turn them to white, some LEDs look pink, or purple, or blue. You want them all to match. With our system, you can make them all match. We’re going to demonstrate this for you in the coming days.

EXPANDABILITY
All of our modules work together in the system. You can add up to 16 modules. I actually cannot imagine any car having this many modules. That would be a minimum of 64 full-colored devices. My car has 6 controllers now, and I have a lot of lights. I could imagine a couple more controllers though. Modules can be added at any time. It is simple to pair a new controller to a system.

COMING UP
We are preparing to launch all of our controllers. Pricing will be available shortly. I know this is on everyone’s mind. Our first product to launch will be a halo kit using our HP module. This kit will include the wiring harnesses and LEDs for the halos in RS cars. The install method will be a no-bake method. We love this method, and have been an early advocate for it. We will be offering this kit directly and we will be doing pre-sales. We plan to deliver these kits before the end of April. An upgrade kit for one of the other vendor’s RGB Halo kits will also be available. This will allow owners of the kit to upgrade the controller, while leaving the wiring harness and LEDs in place. The other modules will be coming online shortly as well.

As we are offering products directly at this point, helping us get off the gound. We have been in contact with several vendors on camaro5.com to carry the products for us. We don’t want to be in the business of selling direct. We want to focus on making the best products. We are also starting here on Camaro5, but will soon be expanding to other car types and markets.

We have several ideas for new products in the future, as well as enhancements. But many of you have been banging on our doors to get these products out to you, so we’re going to focus on that for now. We’re excited to be a part of the Camaro5 community, and hope that you’ll support us as we grow. We look forward to working with the other Camaro5 vendors as well.

STAY TUNED!

I’m really sorry this was so long, but I felt it was important for people to know who we are, and what we are about. We have so much information to share, but very little time to get it organized and presented.

Our motto is: “Night It Up!” (my 12-year-old son Alex came up with that!)
Attached Images

Last edited by Joe@NightOwlLEDs; 08-01-2014 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Added app badges.
Joe@NightOwlLEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I've been waiting for your controllers to be released since seeing your car in Indy last August! I'm getting ready to redo my entire lighting system for this Spring show season, so I am hoping to see your products soon!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Dang i like that video! Prices? Will you guys personally install?

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes

Last edited by DuhKoDuh; 03-19-2013 at 11:30 AM.
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
I am interested in this system and wondering how easy it will be to wire up to exsiting system that has TONS of lights. So far all the lights I have are RGB underglow, RGB halos, RGB Wheel lights, RGB Fender lights, RBG Scanner light, Single Color Engine Lights, RBG Underhood Bowtie, RGB Grill Lights, Single Red foot well lights, RGB cupholder light, ACS white pod lights. Curious to see how this all wires up. Currently have it running into Two Control Boxes and routed to Emblem Pros cupholder switch plate and Arm rest Switch Plate.

Looking forward to seeing pricing and what Models I will need to add even more lighting options in the future
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Sweet, more led products!
Gotta love the lighting.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
I've been waiting for your controllers to be released since seeing your car in Indy last August! I'm getting ready to redo my entire lighting system for this Spring show season, so I am hoping to see your products soon!
Thanks. The system is even better than at Indy. We've done a lot of work since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
Dang i like that video! Prices? Will you guys personally install?
Prices will be released very soon. We will try to help you find an installer if you don't want to do it yourself. We are a manufacturer, and we will be looking for dealers to handle installs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
I am interested in this system and wondering how easy it will be to wire up to exsiting system that has TONS of lights. So far all the lights I have are RGB underglow, RGB halos, RGB Wheel lights, RGB Fender lights, RBG Scanner light, Single Color Engine Lights, RBG Underhood Bowtie, RGB Grill Lights, Single Red foot well lights, RGB cupholder light, ACS white pod lights. Curious to see how this all wires up. Currently have it running into Two Control Boxes and routed to Emblem Pros cupholder switch plate and Arm rest Switch Plate.

Looking forward to seeing pricing and what Models I will need to add even more lighting options in the future
We'll probably want to set up a phone call after pricing is announced. We can help plan the larger systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
Sweet, more led products!
Gotta love the lighting.
You're right!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
CamaroI

Sounds good. Once Pricing released will give you a call ASAP to set something up. I will not be taking on the challenge of placing on the modules but having my installer do it for me. Looking forward to product
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
SIM Curly

Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
a vendor in driving distance
Old 03-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
CamaroI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM Curly View Post
a vendor in driving distance
LUCKY!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
KSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Very much so looking forward to this..
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 RJT/RS
I'm looking for a controller that has a "breathe" mode,but that you can also pick the color and shade of color to breathe. For example grill lighting. If I want to
choose a dark purple,choose that color and have it breathe. Say an hour later I want another color to breathe,just choose that color and go. Also
have another set of rgb strips in the engine bay,but be able to control the color seperately. Say red breathing in the engine and change to green later,while the grill still does purple Or have the
grill breathe and the engine strobe,in seperate colors. Would your system do this?
2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
CamaroI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 RJT View Post
I'm looking for a controller that has a "breathe" mode,but that you can also pick the color and shade of color to breathe. For example grill lighting. If I want to
choose a dark purple,choose that color and have it breathe. Say an hour later I want another color to breathe,just choose that color and go. Also
have another set of rgb strips in the engine bay,but be able to control the color seperately. Say red breathing in the engine and change to green later,while the grill still does purple Or have the
grill breathe and the engine strobe,in seperate colors. Would your system do this?
Ditto on this
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 RJT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
Ditto on this
Ok guys, we went out to take a little bit of video to help answer your question. Sorry for the quality...this was the best we could do in a short amount of time. We show our heartbeat program which is what I think you mean by "breath". As you can see, each light can be controlled separately or together. The purple didn't show up very dark in the video. But any shade that the LED is capable of, we can produce. The grill in my car also looks a little dark. I have a black intercooler which doesn't reflect the light very well. We also show a couple other program types running at the same time on other channels. The strobes didn't turn out on video due to the frame rate of the camera.

Anyway...here goes...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Also, here is how I have my defaults set up...halos, driving lights, and white LEDs in my turn signals all turn on when the car starts up. I can change this however I'd like. I have the halo colors dialed in to match the driving lights and turn signal bulbs. It was getting dark when I took this pic, which is why it isn't the best quality. I'll take some more during the day.
Attached Images