Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #29
Cacadeech

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS
I also had a squeaky driver's seat. I put a bit of grease under the seat in the rails that the seat moves back and forth in. It's been 4 months and it's still quiet.
Cacadeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #30
Spiffyguitar

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patfan1987 View Post
Yep that would be it sir. And i am also 138 pounds so weights not the issue, good thinking though.
I'm 6'2" and only 180, so maybe it's a skinny guy thing? Lol

Edit... apparently I'm only 175 lbs now... shouldn't have eaten that salad for lunch. Haha
Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #31
Patfan1987
CGM is the Best! Thx GM

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro, Auto + Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar View Post
I'm 6'2" and only 180, so maybe it's a skinny guy thing? Lol

Edit... apparently I'm only 175 lbs now... shouldn't have eaten that salad for lunch. Haha
Lmao i love this forum!

Proud Owner of a CGM 2 LT/RS Auto Transmission w/Sunroof and Spare Tire
Patfan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #32
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipdistefano View Post
Any news on if WD40 did the trick?
Oops, I totally forgot the WD40 yesterday, and when I went out to do the weekly wash I had the stereo loud enough it didn't bother me.

But I just now did some further inspection, and here are my results. (It is a skinny person issue)

First, my squeaking/creeking is definately coming from the seat-belt (female side). The post which you put the seatbelt (male side) into moves up and forward to accompany the person sitting in the seat.

Name:  seatbelt.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  73.0 KB

When I have my seatbelt buckled, the post is almost vertical, at it's max vertical rotation (see below photo).

NOTE: If I had a big beer-gut or was pregnant, it would be more horizontal, not at it's max vertical rotation and thus not causing this issue.

Name:  seatbelt iv.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  140.8 KB

Move the seatbelt (female side) post to it's max vertical position. While keeping slight pressure on it, slowly bend the post back and forth like i am doing in the below pictures (these are taken from above).

Name:  seatbelt ii.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  119.9 KB(Pull towards seat)
Name:  seatbelt iii.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  115.9 KB(Push towards center)

This is what is causing my creaking. The resonance from the vibrations are causing the plastic to vibrate and make an audible squeeking/creaking sound. Bad bushings in the seat belt post.

Make sense?

I haven't sprayed WD40, it may work... but I don't want to fill my car with the smell of it. I'm going to just have the dealer look at it the next time I take my car in. Until then I'll just be aware where my seat belt sits, and play my music loud!

Edit: I'm guessing this goes for the passenger seat as well, I just haven't had that many passengers to verify.

Last edited by 5thGenOwner; 05-16-2010 at 01:53 PM.
5thGenOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #33
DEKA

Drives: Silver, manual, steel wheels
it squeaks alot
DEKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #34
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
Nothing like turning down your radio to have you friend listen to your engine and hear a squeaking seat.

I thought about doing wd40 too...
im 6' 180
mcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #35
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
Oops, I totally forgot the WD40 yesterday, and when I went out to do the weekly wash I had the stereo loud enough it didn't bother me.

But I just now did some further inspection, and here are my results. (It is a skinny person issue)

First, my squeaking/creeking is definately coming from the seat-belt (female side). The post which you put the seatbelt (male side) into moves up and forward to accompany the person sitting in the seat.

Attachment 125284

When I have my seatbelt buckled, the post is almost vertical, at it's max vertical rotation (see below photo).

NOTE: If I had a big beer-gut or was pregnant, it would be more horizontal, not at it's max vertical rotation and thus not causing this issue.

Attachment 125283

Move the seatbelt (female side) post to it's max vertical position. While keeping slight pressure on it, slowly bend the post back and forth like i am doing in the below pictures (these are taken from above).

Attachment 125285(Pull towards seat)
Attachment 125286(Push towards center)

This is what is causing my creaking. The resonance from the vibrations are causing the plastic to vibrate and make an audible squeeking/creaking sound. Bad bushings in the seat belt post.

Make sense?

I haven't sprayed WD40, it may work... but I don't want to fill my car with the smell of it. I'm going to just have the dealer look at it the next time I take my car in. Until then I'll just be aware where my seat belt sits, and play my music loud!

Edit: I'm guessing this goes for the passenger seat as well, I just haven't had that many passengers to verify.
Excellent post, I actually just went out to my car and sprayed some WD-40 right where you think it's coming from and was coming back here to report when I saw that you had the same idea.

I will let you guys know if the issue is solved with WD-40. Hope this works!
philipdistefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #36
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipdistefano View Post
Excellent post, I actually just went out to my car and sprayed some WD-40 right where you think it's coming from and was coming back here to report when I saw that you had the same idea.

I will let you guys know if the issue is solved with WD-40. Hope this works!
Thanks, it was difficult to describe... so I'm glad it was understandable.

Please let us know if the WD40 works. I have a feeling it will, but then the squeak may come back later. Grease might be a permanent solution (as cacadeech did)??
Old 05-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #37
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
Took a ride to the store, no squeaks on the way there. Took the bumpiest, most awful road I could think of to get back (and we have the worst roads in America here in Louisiana, so that's saying a lot), and still no squeaks.

This is looking like the solution so far. The only problem with this solution is that WD-40 doesn't exactly have the best smell for the inside of your car. Is there an odorless solution besides grease? Like an odorless WD-40 or WD-40 knockoff?
philipdistefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #38
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Get some dry lubercant in the rv section at Walmart. It sprays on wet but then dries still lubercated to prevent any liquid oil runs. I use this on my camper slide and works very well.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #39
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Get some dry lubercant in the rv section at Walmart. It sprays on wet but then dries still lubercated to prevent any liquid oil runs. I use this on my camper slide and works very well.
Excellent suggestion, thx!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #40
Patfan1987
CGM is the Best! Thx GM

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro, Auto + Sunroof
Gonna have to try this if the dealer doesnt do anything. but i suspect they will.

Thanks a lot!

Proud Owner of a CGM 2 LT/RS Auto Transmission w/Sunroof and Spare Tire
Patfan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #41
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
i had a squeak problem in the passenger seat...moved the seat up..no squeak

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #42
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CamaroRS View Post
i had a squeak problem in the passenger seat...moved the seat up..no squeak
That would do it. Anything that keeps the seat belt post (female side) NOT at its most vertical position will avoid the noise. But move the seat back and it will come back. Might wanna still lube it up.